Tips for ropes?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon, I'm currently in hunter as I'm absolutely gash at ropes, just wondering if anyone knew of any techniques or tips that helped them get to the top? I know the technique just can't perform it myself, maybe sue to be being hugely inflexible so cannot get any grip whatsoever between my knees.
Thanks a lot!

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I'm currently in hunter as I'm absolutely gash at ropes,

No tips as such from me other than to say that it really is all about technique. Suddenly the required technique will snap into focus and you'll be snaking up that rope. :)

I'm just an ex-Percy but without doubt you'll get world class rope climbing tuition without the pressure of being in mainstream training. Hopefully others will chip in with their advice. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Make sure your body is as narrow as possible! Hands and elbows tight, knees and ankles tight!! Bring your knees as high as you can. Try and bring your knees to your elbows! You should aim to look behind you to achieve this. Long shifts, and the key really is to grip the rope between your knees, tight enough to allow the strain to release from your arms! Then pull with the arms, squeeze with knees. Off and on.

That’s the teqnique that I used in Pongo RT. I’m pretty sure it’s the same as RM training. However I never did it with any weight! Just as part of IMF.

Being in Hunter should enable you to receive coaching from the PTI’s there. I’m sure if you were to ask, you’d get all the help you need.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
I never came across any technique as grasping the rope between the knees.

We were taught left foot to right side of rope, right leg goes around to left of rope and right foot traps rope between feet.

Same knees to elbows, right foot 'stops' rope by pressing down on left with rope between, straighten legs and stretch each arm up.

Repeat.

My problem was not having a strong enough stomach to easily raise knees high enough to turn upside down.

I did the window ladder display at the Royal Tournament in '71, aged 15. Don't remember anything about knees.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@arny01 is correct, trapping the rope between the knees is a big part of it. This technique, squeezing the rope between knees and feet, helps the arms massively.
That said, @Hubb97, I appreciate why you've asked for advice, but ultimately it will be your PTI's who will give you best guidance on cracking it. Everyone here wants to help as much as possible, but we could end up giving advice which goes against how they will best teach you. Good luck, keep a positive attitude, and let us know how it goes.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I did the window ladder display at the Royal Tournament in '71, aged 15.

Impressive!

HMS Ganges? Next you'll be telling us you were the Button Boy!

Alan

Caversham

Reaction score
Afternoon, I'm currently in hunter as I'm absolutely gash at ropes, just wondering if anyone knew of any techniques or tips that helped them get to the top? I know the technique just can't perform it myself, maybe sue to be being hugely inflexible so cannot get any grip whatsoever between my knees.
Thanks a lot!
If you're in Hunter because of problems with ropes, then surely that will be where the PTIs will come to the front for you. If they don't then tell them that's where you're struggling.

If it's any consolation I struggled massively with regains over the tank. Went in every time until pass out and for whatever reason, on the day, I smashed it!

Good luck and keep at it.

Alan

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the replies! Yeah haven't been doing a great deal of them yet but we did them a few days ago and they noticed how awful my technique was and mentioned we should be doing them a lot more from now so will hopefully get better. I was struggling with admin too and Hunter has helped me square that away just from getting guidance off the other lads so just need to square the ropes away now!
Thanks a lot.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Truly, massively impressed.
Almost certainly watched you do it on black and white TV.
I've tried to find a recording of it for a while, there doesn't seem to be one about.

We had two crews and on one occasion I had to stand in for my opposite number due to his illness or injury or something. So I performed drunk in front of Her Maj and only the fact that we had to carry the rig in and out stopped me from falling over.

We had a mad Scotsman, strong as a strong thing. One of the bars snapped as he sat upon it. He remained in the sitting position with nothing underneath him, until taking his turn to come down the rope upside down at the correct moment.

Happy days.

The Gurkhas did a cracking kukri display and the massed Scots bands did a slow march to music that I've never heard before or since.

And in the Army's horse artillery display one night, one of the limbers overturned and smashed through the wooden wall around the arena. Some poor bloke/woman got a 3 foot splinter through the leg.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Impressive!

HMS Ganges? Next you'll be telling us you were the Button Boy!

Alan
Yep Ganges. Not a button boy though, the highest I could get was the cow horns, the little sticky-out bits below the final climb to the button.

In later years apparently, the window ladder was done by PTIs.

My dad also joined up at Ganges in 1935. On pass out day, he wandered round our messes with tears in his eyes, able to see all his old mates he joined up with. The place had hardly changed at all.

Later in the day, as we walked across the parade ground, he suddenly shouted 'Mac, you old bastard'.

I was mortified to find he was shouting at the Fleet Master at Arms, a man somewhat higher than god.

Old shipmates as it turned out and my old man was lashed up for the rest of the day in the RPOs Mess by the main gate.

Caversham

Reaction score
Yep Ganges. Not a button boy though, the highest I could get was the cow horns, the little sticky-out bits below the final climb to the button.

In later years apparently, the window ladder was done by PTIs.

My dad also joined up at Ganges in 1935. On pass out day, he wandered round our messes with tears in his eyes, able to see all his old mates he joined up with. The place had hardly changed at all.

For all you young guys who might be wondering what @Old Man and I are wittering on about, have a look at the clip below and then an article about a former Ganges boy. HMS Ganges was an RN training establishment that, I believe, was solely for boys aged around 15.

One of their activities was the mast manning ceremony. This was a ship's mast towering over 140 feet, which had to be climbed with no safety equipment at all and the Button Boy had the honour of shinning up the last bit and then standing to attention and saluting with just a lightning conductor between their legs to stop them falling off.

So when someone tells you, "it was much harder in my day", in this case, it really was! Massive respect from me.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/height-of-dread-for-ganges-boys-1-115759

Alan

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
For all you young guys who might be wondering what @Old Man and I are wittering on about, have a look at the clip below and then an article about a former Ganges boy. HMS Ganges was an RN training establishment that, I believe, was solely for boys aged around 15.

One of their activities was the mast manning ceremony. This was a ship's mast towering over 140 feet, which had to be climbed with no safety equipment at all and the Button Boy had the honour of shinning up the last bit and then standing to attention and saluting with just a lightning conductor between their legs to stop them falling off.

So when someone tells you, "it was much harder in my day", in this case, it really was! Massive respect from me.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/height-of-dread-for-ganges-boys-1-115759

Alan
Can't remember if I did an official 'manning the mast' and if I did, whereabouts on it I was stationed. I do remember that we sometimes climbed it in our own time, maybe on Sundays. Not only could I not get to the button but I was wary about going outside on the first level, with having to be basically hanging off the thing, a bit like climbing under overhanging rocks, I suppose. I generally took the less scary route through the platform.

I'm sure there was a naval term for the 'platform' but I'm buggered if I can remember what it is.

It was an exciting year for a 15 year old. Allowed to smoke, could get served in one pub in Ipswich. Don't think I even knew what a Royal Marine was in those days.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm sure there was a naval term for the 'platform' but I'm buggered if I can remember what it is.

As an ex-Percy I'm reluctant to make comments about shippy things but I have read all of Patrick O'Brian's novels. :) From memory each platform has its own name; one being the 'fighting top'. The hole in each platform might be known as the 'lubbers' hole' on account of it being the supposedly easier route onto the platform.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
As an ex-Percy I'm reluctant to make comments about shippy things but I have read all of Patrick O'Brian's novels. :) From memory each platform has its own name; one being the 'fighting top'. The hole in each platform might be known as the 'lubbers' hole' on account of it being the supposedly easier route onto the platform.
Oddly, I never knew of anybody falling off, though there was the dit about the PTI who did, bounced on the net and went through the post office roof. No idea of the truth of the dit.

Caversham

Reaction score
Oddly, I never knew of anybody falling off, though there was the dit about the PTI who did, bounced on the net and went through the post office roof. No idea of the truth of the dit.
Interestingly, a quick Google reveals only one boy falling to his death from the mast. There were a couple of other deaths, two from swimming and one from being hit by a cricket ball, so considering the activities carried out there and the numbers passing through, it's record is exceptional.

http://www.godfreydykes.info/GANGES...adventure1.htm (2012_11_19 20_20_07 UTC).html

Alan

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice gents. Had my 3rd attempt today and slipped off on the beam so think that might be me. Thanks though.

HMW1722

Reaction score
I feel gutted for you. Did you manage the rope climb ok? I have my fingers crossed for you that it isn't the end of the line. I know words can't make it any better but you should feel proud that you got as far as you did.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I feel gutted for you. Did you manage the rope climb ok? I have my fingers crossed for you that it isn't the end of the line. I know words can't make it any better but you should feel proud that you got as far as you did.
Thank you, yeah always struggled with them obviously but passed that today then fell apart on the beam which I didn't expect at all but just one of those things really. Not really sure what'll come of it but hopefully will be back in the near future if I get a chance.