TMU or PMU - What does it mean?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
PMU means Permanently Medically Unfit.

This doesn't always mean forever, it means at this point in time and until a particular issue is satisfactorily resolved, unless the condition is an outright bar to further service, in which case it is forever and non-negotiable unless you can prove the diagnosis incorrect. Sometimes there is a mandated period following a condition/injury to allow for full recovery which must elapse before you can be passed fit. You cannot appeal against the mandated time declared, however sometimes it maybe worth asking the Service Entry Medical Cell (via your AFCO) if you are fully recovered and can prove it (training diary, etc).

TMU means Temporarily Medically Unfit.

This means we need to find out more before declaring you fully fit or PMU. For example, if you were prescribed an asthma inhaler two years ago, you are TMU until we find out when it was last prescribed then declared PMU until you are fully free from prescriptions for four consecutive years. You are NOT made TMU for two more years, you would be PMU until four years free. There's a difference.

The reason you are not TMU is because you could have a recurrence of the condition tomorrow and the clock would have to start again.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hopefully this will clear up a number of queries lads are having with regards to medical status.

I remember when I was made TMU for something I declared that never existed on my medical records. Took 3 months to clear that up. -banghead-

Boplicity

Reaction score
I got PMU'd and thought I was completely binned. After being heartbroken for over a year now, the other day I was told this wasnt the case and it was just PMU until I was 12 months clear of a fracture. Now resubmitting an application to go again

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to add to post #1. You CAN sometimes appeal against mandated periods of recovery, depending on circumstances. This will usually be advised by the Medical Examiner. For example, small bone fractures (pinkies & toes, typically) can be less than 12 months.

When appealing against a mandated period, a training diary is ideal to demonstrate full recovery from the area affected.

Baboon22

Reaction score
Hopefully this will clear up a number of queries lads are having with regards to medical status.

I remember when I was made TMU for something I declared that never existed on my medical records. Took 3 months to clear that up. -banghead-
I am in the same boat, how did you manage to clear it up? any advice from your experience would truly help my current situation. Thanks!

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, how did you manage to clear it up? any advice from your experience would truly help my current situation. Thanks!
I was very lucky and I’d been attending periodic appointments at a private hospital for my feet because they caused me issues from when I was 6-13 years old. As stated any orthotic issued by a hospital is a permanent bar to entry.

I declared it on my medical form as my medical records were taking ages to arrive so I thought it’s best I be truthful then risk lying. Med papers turn up and nothing about my feet had ever been documented before :mad:. Why? I have no idea but I’m guessing perhaps the hospital I was attending used a different system or never updated my records.

Luckily, the med examiner realised this and said well it’s not written down so you’ve got nothing to worry about.

I’ve not had any problems with my feet and have completed numerous ultra marathons in the recents years and never had a single problem.

In my opinion the rule about orthotics is flawed especially when it relates to when you are younger. Everyone develops at different rates and obviously my retard feet decided to wrap on me for many years! :D

Loving life in the corps now and not had any lower limb injuries since joining.

Hope this helps pal.

Barney1664

Reaction score
Hi @Ninja_Stoker I was wondering if you could help to shed some light for me? I've been PMU'D due to having previously take medication for an under active thyroid. I havent been on medication since early January, do you think I have a chance in a successful appeal?

Sorry for the long message!

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
@Barney1664 Your PMU is purely for being on Medications should have stated a timeline when you could apply?? It is entirely possible it did not though. With Hypothyroid issues you have to be considered - euthyroid (stable thyroid function) for a period of one year and clear of any & all autoimmune conditions - if you meet this term you "may" have an appeal case, In most cases it will be 1-year post medications as that is generally the point you are considered clinically stable.

Barney1664

Reaction score
@Barney1664 Your PMU is purely for being on Medications should have stated a timeline when you could apply?? It is entirely possible it did not though. With Hypothyroid issues you have to be considered - euthyroid (stable thyroid function) for a period of one year and clear of any & all autoimmune conditions - if you meet this term you "may" have an appeal case, In most cases it will be 1-year post medications as that is generally the point you are considered clinically stable.
Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it i will contact them Monday.

Mac20

Reaction score
Hi

Just came across this thread and looking for some advice on TMU that I'm anticipating will become PMU after reading the JSP 950.

In regards to mental health, how much of a mitigating circumstance is bereavement or other stress inducing triggers? During my late teens I lost a family member who I was very close to after a lengthy and prolonged battle with cancer (they were given 3 months to live and lived for 10 months), a year or so later a sibling turned suicidal due to drink. On both occasions the GP was very quick to prescribe me meds, which as a naive kid I took. The first batch I returned to the pharmacy before taking a pill and the second batch I cam off naturally after 6 months.

I have noticed on the JSP 950 it states two or more episodes of anxiety is a bar to entry, however the same document states that scrutiny should be placed on genuine life triggers as well as episodes presented in adolescence.

I have been symptom free for over 3 years with my home GP and the triage nurse from Capita both mentioning that they think the meds were not needed as what I was experiencing was natural due to the triggers. On these grounds if I am likely classified as PMU would I have grounds for appeal?

Thanks in advance!

(apologies if this has appeared in a few places, trying to find the best place to ask this question)

komsic27

Reaction score
Hi there I’ve just had my medical phone call and have been declared PMU. This is due to roughly 2 months ago I developed runners knee. I let didn’t keep me off work or affect me walking it only flared up when I ran. I never left it for more than a week to recover due to me being stupid and hoping it would have recovered. I went for a run 2 weeks ago and it felt weak but now I’m in the process of resting it which I’ve never done for more than a week, I’m confident I’ll be able to run again soon. I was shocked I was PMU for this. I don’t really thinks the nurse understood my point either.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi there I’ve just had my medical phone call and have been declared PMU. This is due to roughly 2 months ago I developed runners knee. I let didn’t keep me off work or affect me walking it only flared up when I ran. I never left it for more than a week to recover due to me being stupid and hoping it would have recovered. I went for a run 2 weeks ago and it felt weak but now I’m in the process of resting it which I’ve never done for more than a week, I’m confident I’ll be able to run again soon. I was shocked I was PMU for this. I don’t really thinks the nurse understood my point either.
As stated in post #1, PMU doesn't always mean forever. It often merely means you cannot be passed fit to enter at this moment in time, so the application stops until or if the medical standard can be met in future. TMU means pending a medical decision and in this case the medical decision is not fit to enter right now.