TMU or PMU - What does it mean?

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@Chelonian @gingerlabrador28

Thankfully here with my GP he's super helpful and said if I brought in any forms or needed anything done he'd do it on the day so i can send it back asap, cheers for the reply lads. Thankfully I can just email the forms back as well.

PopStop

Reaction score
Yep, the main function of a GP surgery is to provide primary health care.
Consider popping into the GP surgery from time-to-time and being polite and charming when asking desk staff about progress. One is more likely to get the process swiftly expedited than if one drips down the telephone about the delay. :)
I rang them every day cause it takes about 10 mins to conplete. Just get on top of there backs and they will complete it faster. If your talking about the gp :)

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@PopStop problem is they told me theyd send the forms to take to my GP here in New Zealand but I havent got these forms and only got the email telling me I'm tmu.

i've sent an email to the medical team so hopefully i get a resposne.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...problem is they told me theyd send the forms to take to my GP here in New Zealand but I havent got these forms and only got the email telling me I'm tmu.

Unsure what delays may be caused by the backlog associated with processing Commonwealth applications.

I'm not a Careers Adviser but if paper forms are being sent from the UK to NZ and do not arrive within a reasonable time consider asking if a PDF version can be emailed to you so that you can print them out and pass to your GP. I have no idea if this is even possible but it might be worth asking.

Hershey

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

In terms of the PMU occasionally being subject to recovery times does this logic apply to periods of mental health difficulty?

I've got a few ducks I'm trying to line up as I foresee them coming up on the medical and resulting in a TMU at very, very least.

Firstly, I come from a family where there were a good few diagnoses of Asperger's Syndrome - I was diagnosed in 2011 but this was overturned by another professional in 2019. Hopefully this evidence will suffice.

Secondly, I grew up in a complex family home where my father went through mental illness for a period of decades - this took a huge toll on the family. As a result of this and work-related stress I had an episode of acute anxiety in 2016 which saw me signed off of work and put onto a week-long prescription of Valium. Confusingly, I was put under the local team for early psychosis and did a formulation process with them. I think this will be the main difficulty in my application as I will need to go into the specifics about the context of this episode and its precipitating factors as well as disputing being put under the team for early psychosis.

Thirdly, in 2017 my father finally lost his battle with mental health and took his own life in our family home. This of course was a very stressful period of our lives and I had moved back home to try to support him - I ended up doing a police statement, inquest etc. However, roughly a month after the funeral, the stress caught up with me and I decided to voluntarily seek treatment at the local mental health hospital. I was discharged after about three weeks and then came off medication soon afterward. In many ways I feel like this episode will be the easiest to contextualise as there is a clear precipitating incident and I wasn't actually sectioned - I self-admitted which I hope shows that I had the wherewithal to ask for help.

With that in mind, does anyone know of cases where these types of barriers have been successfully negotiated?

All the best and a Merry Christmas,

Hersh

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Hersh

Yours is a difficult and complex question that can only be answered by a medical review team with all the facts at hand, however at first glance form what you have put the following will apply at least until looked at if appealed which may or may not be successful with the above in mind.

4-L-4JSP 950 Lft 6-7-7 (V1.6 Aug19)20.A candidate with a history of two or more episodes of depression or a recurring or persistent depressive disorder (F33), severe depression with psychosis, manic disorder (F30) or bipolar affective disorder (F31) will be graded UNFIT. If there is a doubt about the diagnosis the case should be referred to a single service occupational physician responsible for Service entry.

You can google the JPS950 (number above) so section 4 - annex L is where the rules sit.

@Hershey - on your other post - the same rules apply to the band service as it a JSP ( joint service publication) The RMBS, in general, needs you to have a grading standard within the music, to be placed for audition.

Hope that helps.!!

Carrot12

Reaction score
If there is a doubt about the diagnosis the case should be referred to a single service occupational physician responsible for Service entry.
How you would prove to them there is doubt? Does the date from which it was diagnosed prove or some sort of second opinion count?