TO ANYONE thats had very recent medical........

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just on pointer for those undergoing a medical- there's a new test.

No, it isn't a wind-up, but due to recent problems on the firing range, you have to be able to close your left eye & keep your right one open to prove you can use the sights on an SA80 rifle.

Strange as it may sound, this is absolutely genuine.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It gets worse Alan, the test is called (I kid you not): The independent winking test.

As has been remarked, one would hope the hearing test is successfully completed before an individual is requested to undertake this test.

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No, it isn't a wind-up, but due to recent problems on the firing range, you have to be able to close your left eye & keep your right one open to prove you can use the sights on an SA80 rifle.

Strange as it may sound, this is absolutely genuine
yeeep this mad as it sounds is very true i had my medical a couple of weeks ago and was asked to do this, felt like a bit of a plum *text deleted*

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
It gets worse Alan, the test is called (I kid you not): The independent winking test.

As has been remarked, one would hope the hearing test is successfully completed before an individual is requested to undertake this test.
*text deleted* class

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i can see this being a problem for me =/ time to practice i think..

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just walk in and say "sorry doc i accidentaly stapled my left eye lid closed" thus passing the test

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what happens if your left eye dominate?
well if you cant wink with left shut right open, you cant fire an SA80 so youd still have to do the same test even if your left eye is the stronger one!

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do a lot of target shooting and one of the first things I was taught is to NEVER close your left eye when shooting. Your eye will get tired and your pupils will dialate meaning you wont be able to stay focused longer than a couple of minutes. But, if they want me to close my left eye I'll do just that.

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
who taught you to shoot, stevie wonder? *text deleted* I've done a lot of target shooting and had air rifles since the age of 12 and always shut my left eye, last year at a police gala day i won money on a 'beat the marines' target shooting competition run by veterans.. my grandad was a marksman in the Army WW2 so knew a little about shooting, you never see a sniper taking a shot with both eyes open... it doesnt work!

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i can open my right eye slightly with my left shut, but it's fairly blurry :?

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lshort1988 said:
who taught you to shoot, stevie wonder? *text deleted* I've done a lot of target shooting and had air rifles since the age of 12 and always shut my left eye, last year at a police gala day i won money on a 'beat the marines' target shooting competition run by veterans.. my grandad was a marksman in the Army WW2 so knew a little about shooting, you never see a sniper taking a shot with both eyes open... it doesnt work!
Target shooting and and sniping are different. You need to be able to stay focused on your target for upto 15 minutes in target shooting. When sniping its just 1 shot, wham bam thank you ma'am.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i will try.. is there a good way to do it?

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i will try.. is there a good way to do it?
Mason, ive heard the best way to do it is shut your left eye and keep your right eye open! :wink: < a bit like that :*text deleted*: just keep trying it!

Roddie

Reaction score
I have my medical in 5 hours! Finally. *text deleted*,

I was a Marksman in the ATC (Air Training Corps) and I'm left-eye dominant.
That was for .22 rifles.
Then moved onto the L98-A1, almost the Cadet equivilant of the SA80, didn't think there would be much kick, but I did get a sniper cut below my right eyebrow on my first shoot. Haha.

Roddie,

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome Roddie,

Are they still using that old beast, I remember using that when I was in the ATC many moons ago.

Good luck on the Medical