To be or not to be... A royal marine officer

Rapagna

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yo peeps

I'm just thinking. I wasn't going to become a officer in the RM because i was told " Its unlikely for a 18 year old straight out of A levels to be trained as a officer" Is this true

Also, If i were to get sponsorship for A levels would it mean i would be able to start training asap (Because i already have 2 grand of RM money so surely they would want me to serve ASAP)

Im a pretty bright guy so what do you guys think, Should i become a officer or just become a normal marine as i originally intended

( Sorry if you cant understand what im saying, English isnt my strong point DAMN cornish have made me speak gibberish)

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey man, I'd say go for it. If I don't get a sponsorship for uni or a reserve place in training, I aim to go straight out of 6th form (sept. 09) if they'll take me.

Just because someone says it's unlikely, doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

'Difficult is worth doing'

Rapagna

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
During sixth form you can get 1050 pounds a year sponsorship money

Rapagna

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no idea man... Im waiting for Ninja to come and kick some info up my arse so i know what to do

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
During sixth form you can get 1050 pounds a year sponsorship money

I'm 95% sure it's almost impossible to get the RM to sponsor you for Sixth Form. I think they only sponsor one or two candidates a year at that level.

Rapagna

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
damn!

Seems a bit stupid only sponsoring a few people

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
damn!

Seems a bit stupid only sponsoring a few people

To you it might not, but if you go and sponsor everyone, then the marines will be out of a fair bit of cash.

Besides theres only an intake of 50 a year, therefore they would not have a great deal of people to sponsor that would pass out anyway.

Rapagna

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok i see where your going... Ill just have to apply before i end my A levels and just hope for the best

Reaction score
As far as I know there are no places for sponsorship at 6th form level. If you want any form of sponsorship then you need to take the POC and AIB after 6th form and get the £1000/yr whilst you are at University. Please do not quote me on that as Ninja Stoker will know far more about this than I do.
The Corps only needs 55 British Officers a year to join YO training, sponsorship costs a fair bit of money and in all honesty it simply is not worth it from the Corps perspective. We want the sort of people who are bright enough to realise that you need A-Levels/ A Degree to get anywhere in the current job market. We are not particularly interested in paying for people to go to school.
For the most accurate advice and facts on this subject, await a reply from Ninja Stoker.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's a bit of a conundrum this one as there is the possibility of being awarded a 6th form scholarship, but frankly it's so rare that only about two or three have been awarded over the last few years.

80% of Officers join with a degree anyway & the Corps only selects it's officers from the top 5% of UK academic achievers, so there is little need to offer scholarships at A level as only 20% recruited come from this pool. To gain a scolarship you need to score exceptionally well at both POC & AIB whilst quite young. In order to achieve this, lets be completely honest about it- you have to be not just bright, but fundamentally outstanding in relation to all other officer applicants and outshine all other applicants that year.

I have only met one RM Officer university Bursar and that was whilst I was Coxswain at one of the Oxbridge URNUs. They may be available, but you have to have realistic expectancy of achieving one.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's a bit of a conundrum this one as there is the possibility of being awarded a 6th form scholarship, but frankly it's so rare that only about two or three have been awarded over the last few years.

80% of Officers join with a degree anyway & the Corps only selects it's officers from the top 5% of UK academic achievers, so there is little need to offer scholarships at A level as only 20% recruited come from this pool. To gain a scolarship you need to score exceptionally well at both POC & AIB whilst quite young. In order to achieve this, lets be completely honest about it- you have to be not just bright, but fundamentally outstanding in relation to all other officer applicants and outshine all other applicants that year.

I have only met one RM Officer university Bursar and that was whilst I was Coxswain at one of the Oxbridge URNUs. They may be available, but you have to have realistic expectancy of achieving one.

Wow, top 5%, thats kinda scary to be honest, would somebody with descent grade get in, or just the top 5%?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Wow, top 5%, thats kinda scary to be honest, would somebody with descent grade get in, or just the top 5%?

It says what it does on the tin. Top contenders only, regardless of academic grades, or by how much they plummet.

(Those with decent grades will appreciate the pun.)

random08

Reaction score
Hey Ninja,

I'm just finishing my A-levels come April, and I've been wanting to join the Marines since I was a child!, I was going to join it last year but the careers office said stick in with the A-Levels and then try for an officer.

Is it possible for someone with A-levels to get in as an officer? or generally is it people who've been to university and got the degree's?

Also say if i went into the marines as a marine instead of a officer straight away, if i feel like trying out for officers would i be able too do it within like the marine core? or would i have to quit then like apply to be a officer or something?

Just wondering

Regards,

Karl

steveg16

Reaction score
Hey mate, do a search, this question has been asked millions of times.
Basically, if your A levels are of the required standard you could try for Officer selection.
I think i read somewhere that 80% of YO's have a degree. Being that bit older you should be more mature and have experience of living away from home already.
You could enter the RM and become a commando normally. Then later go for comission. You have to remember though that you will be up agaisnt people who have been in the RM for years. It is by no means easy.
Hope this helps

random08

Reaction score
yeh it does steve thanks :)

The biggest worry for me is the colourblindness test! I was considering doing the 2nd option but not straight away!! Like staying in the corps for a while and getting the experience under my belt.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Ninja,

I'm just finishing my A-levels come April, and I've been wanting to join the Marines since I was a child!, I was going to join it last year but the careers office said stick in with the A-Levels and then try for an officer.

Is it possible for someone with A-levels to get in as an officer? or generally is it people who've been to university and got the degree's?

Also say if i went into the marines as a marine instead of a officer straight away, if i feel like trying out for officers would i be able too do it within like the marine core? or would i have to quit then like apply to be a officer or something?

Just wondering

Regards,

Karl

Read post 16 on this thread & all will be revealed.

Good luck

sixthformersdad

Reaction score
What would you recommend to a 6th former who is 100% certain that he wants to join, but doesn't know whether to go to university first?

Thanks