To old for regular?

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just joined thought i'd pick some brains.
I'm 32, was in the regular army for five years. Been civvy for 5 or 6 years.
Am I to old to apply for regs?.
One for the AFCO I think, but maybe someone' been in the situation.

Sitmus

Reaction score
I believe the entry age is 16-40 years. Not sure though.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
As I don't actually know,
it probably is one for the AFCO,
but I think there's a couple of other members on this site around your age,
I think the cut off point is mid-late 30's,
not sure of an exact age,
but I think you should be able to apply.

Joe

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For the Regular RM, you need to start Recruit Training before your 33rd birthday.

Good Luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, I'd advise you start the process asap as it can take 2 months just to obtain your former service records then another month to get approval to process, a minimum of 3 months to pass all elements of seletion then at least two months to gain Security clearance before those with former service can be allocated a start date. This is assuming all runs smoothly. .

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Already in this process. Was going for reserve. Was told i was to old, had to be 27 or under. But i was sure age limit was extended with military training.
Got PJFT on Thursday. Doing it 8.50 on the road with steep hill on last 400 metres. But on treadmill 9.30, just cant get a rythum going on threadmill.
Hate them.

akerfish

In RT
Reaction score
it dont matter bout steady rythym its only 1.5 miles. just go until your lungs are gona fall out. if you do pass out you will always be able to get up later and try again. *text deleted* if you do it at a steady pace, you r not putting 100% effort into it

Trademark

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
there was a 32 year old on my prmc he passed, he just decided one day that civvie life wasnt for him! dont know which troup hes gona be on tho

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Thats part of the problem, falling off, prefer running on the road. Concentrate on breathing and running, not staying on the treadmill.
Stupid i know, can pass test. Hopfully never have a test on them again.
Do however need alot of work on upper body. Pullups are rubbish.
Can start doin more work on that know got running and weight down.
Gained 2 stone when i left the Army. Got really lazy as a truck driver.
Got rid of that weight and quit smoking. Best advice i could give someone, if you smoke QUIT. It helps no end.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Already in this process. Was going for reserve. Was told i was to old, had to be 27 or under. But i was sure age limit was extended with military training.

You may join the Royal Marines Reserve as Other Rank up until 32, however those with former military service are viewed on a case by case basis, subject to review by the Director RMR as indicated on the Official RM website (RMR section).

The only thing that has an age limit of 26 is RM Officer. It maybe different in the TA, but you should have little difficulty joining the RMR, providing you are fit enough to pass selection.

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Now that i know i'm not to old will speak to AFCO Monday about going for the Regs instead of Reserves. Glad I joined this site. Real fountain of
knowledge. Cheers everyone.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Happy to help. In addition:

Got PJFT on Thursday. Doing it 8.50 on the road with steep hill on last 400 metres. But on treadmill 9.30, just cant get a rythum going on threadmill.
Hate them.

If you are going to join the RMR (rather than regular RM) & your local RMR unit has a PTI, then it's perfectly acceptable to complete the PJFT as a road-run as long as your unit PTI is happy to invigilate and signs your pjft certificate & returns it to your AFCO.

...just looked at the above paragraph & even impressed myself with the amount of abbreviations. (sorry!)

0.01%

Reaction score
Good luck fella. There was a 32 year old on my PRMC (think he might post on here...Kiwi?) and a few 26/27 year olds. All good lads, all passed bar one due to injury.

All the best.

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Was trying for RMR, because thought i was to old for Regulars. Plus find it harder on treadmill. Got to be able to pass given the toughest situation.
Alot tougher ones to come. Thanks for all the advice. Was still happy to try for RMR.