Today's conspiracy theory: Is UK under a nationwide cyber attack?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Over this last week my mobile phone network reception/connectivity (EE) has been nothing short of awful. My home internet (EE) cannot stream films without displaying a permanent "circle of doom". WiFi in work (BT) is hyper slow.

Emails are not getting through (Hotmail and Gmail).

"Pay at Pump" card payments take forever to authorise.

Debits are not showing on internet banking.

Google Pay keeps failing, HSBC contactless keeps failing as does Barclaycard.

I blame Russia.

Anyone else noticed a particularly poor level of digital comms this last week?

Joshusky

Reaction score
What part of the UK are you from? I am in the midlands area and the only problems I have had this past week is my internet going off once for about 10 minutes but other than that everything has been running fine.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed it a lot lately with my phone constantly doingdro out of 4g, 3g, 2g or even just G, then complete shutdown a lot too.

Not noticed it with my internet but then I don't have peasant broadband :D

Joshusky

Reaction score
Probably just a coincidence, probably Russia, who knows. One thing that I'm worried about is the world cup, and I don't even follow football. I just think something sketchy will happen.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Selling these tin foil hats for cheap if anyone’s interested.

B516ACEC-2C63-4942-8C2A-DB1F6A3DD28C.jpeg

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The snags I've encountered are in the North West of UK and the South East including London, Portsmouth etc.

At first I just thought it was my.mobile handset or mobile network but it's far wider spread.

I've done the usual drills such as factory resets, changed passwords, tried different wifi networks, different devices, created new email accounts but there's definitely bugs.

Just wondered if it was more widespread.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was purely meant as a joke, I’ve experienced the exact same but I put it down to the usual KCOM being an absolutely horrid service provider. Interesting to see that it is more widespread.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Was purely meant as a joke, I’ve experienced the exact same but I put it down to the usual KCOM being an absolutely horrid service provider. Interesting to see that it is more widespread.
:) Taken as such, rest assured.

Polo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If a major cyber attack was underway, the Government and financial institutions would never admit it because it would cause a global digital meltdown.

Our demand for digital communications is growing faster than the technological capacity to deliver or protect and the infrastructure is our weakest and easiest to hack vulnerability.

Bluebear

Reaction score
Yep; my EE phone is no longer functioning well and signal is weak; completely lost sky and internet all day on Saturday both at work and at home; I thought it was just a localised problem.:(

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
I've noticed A LOT of customers in my work having issues with credit cards. Nothing out of the ordinary regarding my mobile network or WiFi.

I would be more surprised if the country wasn't under cyber attack at any given time by someone. I'm sure most of it is swept under the rug.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I still attempt to pay for stuff with groats, farthings and thru'penny bits so I can't comment on digital finance transactions. :)

But high atmospheric pressure definitely does monkey about with digital media such as satellite TV and DAB radio. Could it also affect other digital stuff regionally?

If @Parhelia spots this thread she might be able to give some insight into possibility.

DJANGO

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the pyramids

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the pyramids
Could be. Again I tried paying for a beer by contactless card today. Took about 5 mins & three attempts. The barman said it was to do with the dry weather & atmospherics.

I blame Putin.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's just been reported on BBC Radio 4 News that the opening of trading on the London Stock Exchange was delayed by one hour this morning due to "technical issues". Serious stuff.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Thinking that weather factors might be related to the problems recently associated with digital stuff I asked a forum user who has perhaps a deeper insight into meterology than many of us here. @Parhelia PMd me and gave permission for me to post her answer here:

I looked into whether high pressure could have any effect on the transmission of signals and found only one source* suggesting that it sort of can, due to the high pressure influencing the boundary layer and signal propagation through the atmosphere and to the ionosphere. Some of it went a bit over my head (no pun intended) as it relates to boundary layer meteorology which was not my strong suit as it's incredibly dull. It seems plausible, but I'd prefer to look into it more.
Space weather would be the more likely culprit for messing with our communication networks. I looked at the Met Office's space weather forecasts and daily summaries for the period in question and couldn't find anything to suggest space weather could have affected digital communications and infrastructures, and I would have thought it would have been in the news if it had. Possibly the high pressure to blame then, or hacking, or coincidence. The wifi router in our house can be quite dodgy at random times, particularly when it gets hot. The unusually warm and long-lived warm weather, coupled with the fact that routers tend to be stored up high, may just be causing them to overheat and be slow/dodgy as a result. I'm curious though, as around the time that Ninja made the thread I too had noticed that the wifi in my house seemed to be very slow - though I haven't had issues with card payments or anything like that.

*Sort of relevant source (the answer to the person's posed question on this site is potentially useful for this discussion): https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...pressure-literally-push-electromagnetic-waves

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bottom line is, as suggested above, if it was a genuine cyber attack, it's not in the government or communications business's best interests to declare it.

My guess is digital global communications are under pretty much constant cyber attack, 24/7 but amidst the low level clutter of hacks, every so often one breaks through and wreaks havoc.

For those unaware, the MoD has switched into overdrive recruiting "cyber warriors"'in recent years: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/joint-forces-command/about/recruitment

Me? I keep my mobile in a lead-lined bucket of water. Just to be safe :)

Wessex

Reaction score
My BT internet has been horrible for the past month or so, keeps dropping. So much so that it’s putting my working from home days at risk. I’m in London but a friend in Herts with BT reports the same thing.

New Threads