Todays World?

Rover

Reaction score
George Orwell said, “The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”

In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets’ effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

:eek:-banghead--banghead-

Rover

Reaction score
Perhaps when all statues have been removed, a new one representing the "New Britain" could be along these lines. So as not to upset those that have already thrown theirs out of the pram!!:eek:o_O-banghead-

103447088-3086800011401710-2983944966824939768-o.jpg

BubbleBert

Reaction score
George Orwell said, “The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”

In the former USSR, censorship, rewriting of history and eliminating undesirable people became part of Soviets’ effort to ensure that the correct ideological and political spin was put on their history. Deviation from official propaganda was punished by confinement in labor camps and execution.

Funny you should say that - I recently read Nineteen Eighty-four and find it a bit scary how many parallels you can draw from today...

Aerial

Reaction score

What you will find is that people's own understanding of their history is also informed by ideological and political spin. Removal of these statues can be seen as swapping one form of propaganda spin for another.

Incidents such as the statue removal are often a case of picking your ideological poison rather than trying to preserve or find an objective view of history (whether such a thing is possible).

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
At least the Soviets kept up the statues and monuments to national heroes. The same can't be said about these mutants.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I'd love to know what has happened to MI5? I think serious questions have to be asked of them and if they have either been a sleep at the wheel, or worse. People with Communist ideals now control the media and Academia. I don't think it is even controversial to say that.

Something has gone very wrong at that level in my opinion.

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
I'd love to know what has happened to MI5
Believe it or not, the Secret Service (aka Mi5) is really handcuffed, and can't do a lot. For example, they don't even have the power to arrest anyone. So whenever they end up nicking a spy, or whatever, they have a detachment of police officers to actually arrest them. I presume this is due to fears of them having too much power or something along those lines. Which I find odd, because I believe even the SAS have the power to arrest.

Reaction score
I'd love to know what has happened to MI5? I think serious questions have to be asked of them and if they have either been a sleep at the wheel, or worse. People with Communist ideals now control the media and Academia. I don't think it is even controversial to say that.

Something has gone very wrong at that level in my opinion.
I think it could be seen as a touch controversial!

Do you think the role of MI5 is to prevent people with certain political viewpoints getting jobs in some sectors?

Rover

Reaction score
Citizen’s arrest

What is a citizen’s arrest?

A citizen’s arrest is an arrest by an individual who is not a police officer or other sworn law enforcement official. The law regarding citizen’s arrest is complicated and open to interpretation.

The law is found under section 24A of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE). We set out the basic principles of citizen’s arrests.

The law states:

• Anybody can arrest a person who is committing an indictable offence.
  • Anybody can arrest a person if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that they are committing an indictable offence.
Reasonable grounds will be assessed objectively – not according to the subjective viewpoint of the person making the arrest. An individual may only make a citizens arrest when it is not reasonably practical for a police constable to make the arrest, and it is necessary because the person is either:

• Causing physical injury to themselves or others;
  • Suffering physical injury;
  • Causing damage or loss of property;
  • Escaping before a police constable can take responsibility of them.
Indictable offences

An indictable offence is an offence that is at least relatively serious, and may be tried in the Crown Court, such as violent assaults and burglary. However, it may well not be apparent at the time whether the person’s behaviour or conduct amounts to an indictable offence – so anyone contemplating making a citizen’s arrest needs to carefully assess the situation before acting.

So, if you believe you are witnessing a serious crime, such as a burglary, and you think they will make moves to escape quickly before the police arrive, you should do what you can to get immediate help from the police before considering a citizen’s arrest.

In practice, this can be difficult when time is of the essence, but if the person making the citizen’s arrest acted reasonably in the circumstances there should be no repercussions. If the individual did not act reasonably in making the arrest, they could face a civil claim from the individual concerned, and/or criminal charges.

Making a citizen’s arrest

If you are making a citizen’s arrest, you must inform the person what you are doing, and why, as soon as is reasonably possible. You must also tell them what offence you believe they have committed. If you have to use force when arresting the person, you must only use reasonable force.

Once the arrest has been made, the person apprehended must be taken to a magistrate or police station, otherwise the arrest will not be legally valid. You will have to make a statement and you could well be called upon as a witness if the individual is prosecuted.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/police/citizens-arrest/

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think it could be seen as a touch controversial!

Do you think the role of MI5 is to prevent people with certain political viewpoints getting jobs in some sectors?
It's a fair point. I wouldn't say that it's to stop internal political movements that are organic. Where those political movements are subject to funding from abroad I think they should be watched most closely. Where is the funding coming from for the BBC? A lot of it comes from the EU. Universities get a lot of funding from abroad. Sciences get a lot of funding from abroad. I think that is where I would set their scope.

Reaction score
It's a fair point. I wouldn't say that it's to stop internal political movements that are organic. Where those political movements are subject to funding from abroad I think they should be watched most closely. Where is the funding coming from for the BBC? A lot of it comes from the EU. Universities get a lot of funding from abroad. Sciences get a lot of funding from abroad. I think that is where I would set their scope.
Agreed - we have to be really vigilant of those attempting to influence our domestic politics. Just look at the mess the United States has got in to with Russia and Trump! There is also definitely an emerging issue around funding of Universities and how they work on sensitive areas of research.

On the BBC, the overwhelming amount of its funding comes from the license fee and the rest from selling and producing programmes commercially. The BBC is required to be very transparent about its spending, which you can see in its annual report. Unless the EU is secretly buying up huge amounts of Fleabag and Line of Duty, I'm not sure 'a lot' of funding does come from them!