Too little, too late?

Churchy

Reaction score
basically the other day I got the date for my medical, 2nd september 2010, and that's when it hit me I'm running out of time to get fit for the 1.5x2 mile run test and prmc. I can only do 3 miles in roughly 25 minuites, 31 press ups,55 sit ups and 7 pull ups. I'm having sleepless nights thinking about it , hence the time of this post. bottem line is, is it too late to be fit enough? be honest please.

cheers!

Barry McGuigan

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be honest, Its never too late to get fit!
should have done it before you applied though.....
However, You can halt your application for aslong as you need, just speek to your CA.

edu1010

Reaction score
I agree with Tobes, you dont want to make the mistake I made with going into the application process not fit enough resulting in a failed PJFT and a 2 month wait, however that then gave me the time to get to the required standards needed.

EDIT: Spelling mistake.

Lupperton

Reaction score
mate the way i see it is you have your medical in a little over 2 weeks and you have 28 days after that to do your PJFT... soo six weeks, mate six weeks is long enough! its not *text deleted**text deleted** be easy dont get me wrong but if motivated you can do almost anything in six weeks, just think about what the target is and dont take short cuts with training and most importantly train your ass off! but best of luck buddy if you really want it you will do it!

JMannion

Reaction score
Don't worry about it mate, if you take your PJFT at the latest date possible that gives you almost 2 months from now to get your time down so just train hard from now and you should be fine, you have plenty of time.

Also is that run time on road or treadmill? It can make a real difference as my times are way better on the treadmill.

My stats are 32 press ups, 40 sit ups and 2 pull ups and I am taking my PJFT tomorrow, I have no doubts that I can be ready for a PRMC by october/november if I put the time and effort into training hard.

themightyg-notyetbutsoon!

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i was in much the same position to be honest, but with about 15 press ups, 50 sit ups and 2 pull ups by the time my medical rocked up.

Get your running sorted out in this next few weeks as that is all you will be judged on.
7 pull ups means nothing at the moment if you dont get your running sorted out before PJFT.
give fartlek and hill sprints a blast, use the running machine and really punish yourself on it (with a good warm up and stretch first of course)

run your 1.5m on a 3 degree incline, makes 2 degrees not so bad.
do interval training at 4 or 5 degrees, short sharp 30sec runs with 30 min rests then when your hanging stick it on 8.5mph and try and run out that speed as long as you can, 2 or 3 miles.
you will come off that thing hanging, sweating, feeling sick etc but it will be worth it as you will pass and move on from the treadmill to better running conditions outdoors.

if you, loke i did, keep testing your runs as mock PJFTs then dont keep battering away at PJFT the way it is run on your test, ensure you are running 3 miles without stopping and try and up the speed each time you do this (even if you run the first 1.5 in 12:00, dont come off the machine for the rest, pump the speed upto the minimum required for the 10:30 return and be determined to get there on it)
this will make the 3 miles seem "easy" (i use that with a pinch of salt) as you get a lolloping 12:30 run out followed by a rest before your best effort on the day but you will be used to doing it with no break so the minute really reboosts your batteries.

once you have successfully completed your pjft (which you will if you train smart over the 6 weeks) then you can get running outdoors and really hone in on your gym test scores.

HOWEVER
dont think passing PJFT / 3miler down PRMC is enough so dont train just to be able to have a decent 3 mile time.
day 2 requires lots of stamina so use the following weeks after your PJFT to ensure you build stamina up before asking for your interview.

I got my PRMC about a week after my interview (a cancellation) and it was a shock but a pleasant one (but it would not have been if I had failed it)

However I wouldnt have passed if I got my Interview a week after my medical, thats for sure, so get your PJFT done and dusted (one of the most horrible parts of the application process if you ask me) then, perhaps after a wee break to get some longer runs in and boost stamina, crack on from there with your interview / PRMC etc.

At the end of the day, Im sure you would rather wait an extra 2 months for your PRMC than go down to early and have to wait 9 months for another crack?

Good luck. Sure you will get there.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Putting it into polite parlance, the advice to anyone similarly placed is simply get off their butt if they want to join the Royal Marines.

Those who cannot achieve the minimum standard to pass the first physical assessment within 10 weeks of submitting an application are either pretty slow on the uptake to realise there is a physical aspect to selection or they're clearly not training sufficiently.

Best of luck, get off the computer & get running.