Too Much?

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just been thinking recently that maybe im having too much protien in my diet?, Is there such thing has having too much protein or is it all good?. Well i have 3 Maxmuscle Pro Max Protein Shakes a day, Have one first thing in the morning then one after gym in the after noon then one at night time, I Also have 2 tins of tuna a day, And also eat alot of chicken!, I Seem to have sh*t loads of protein in my diet, Ive done it on purpose because i want to bulk up a little bit, At the moment im very skinny and i could do with bulking up abit, At the moment im going to the gym as well as having alot of protein and i can see the change in my body already which is good!

Sam

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah you can have too much protein, see supplements sticky post but basically it de-calcifies your bones and can lead to brittle bones (but that takes ages). i think the recommended amount of protein when training is 1/3 of your cals max should be from protein
see:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

i hear 1g of protein per pound of body weight is a good measure

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Rusty,

Like Seedy stated, 1g/lb bodyweight is a reasonable measure of how much protein you should be consuming. There is such thing as too much protein, too much of anything is not good for you, but your body is amazing at counterbalancing any changes that you make to it. You will begin to store the protein as fat or p*text deleted*s it out before you do yourself any real damage.

If you are trying to put on weight Rusty mate, it is not just protein you need to bump up it's everything. You probably already know but, you must consume more calories than you burn off to put weight on. Back in the bodybuilding days when I wanted to put on weight without getting too fat *text deleted* I would simply count the calories of everything I ate for 5-days approx, then average out how much I was consuming each day. This gave me an idea of how much I needed to eat to maintain my current weight. Then if I wanted to put weight on I would simply consume an extra 3-500 kcal each day. Dead simple really.

Geordie

Reaction score
Rusty - I was told by a personal trainer (a bloke in seriously good condition - not a meathead) that if I couldn't get the protein I needed from food then maybe to have 1 protein shake per day as a supplement.

Yes you can definitely have too much protein - your body will process what it needs and the rest of it will be deposited as bum gravy. Additionally, too much can cause damage to the kidneys and liver. As you're 16 years old and still physically changing naturally, I'd personally recommend you give up the shakes and stick to the food.

All the best
Geordie

S

Sotiris

Just been thinking recently that maybe im having too much protien in my diet?, Is there such thing has having too much protein or is it all good?. Well i have 3 Maxmuscle Pro Max Protein Shakes a day, Have one first thing in the morning then one after gym in the after noon then one at night time, I Also have 2 tins of tuna a day, And also eat alot of chicken!, I Seem to have sh*t loads of protein in my diet, Ive done it on purpose because i want to bulk up a little bit, At the moment im very skinny and i could do with bulking up abit, At the moment im going to the gym as well as having alot of protein and i can see the change in my body already which is good!

Sam
Woah Rusty slow down on the Tuna!! While it's good for you in modration it is extremely high in mercury and too much of it can actually cause mercury poisoning! I'd strongly advise you drastically cut down your tuna intake to a couple of sandwiches a week...or maybe a steak or two.

Stick to chicken and lots of good red meat.

How far into the application process are you mate?