Too Short?

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, have been thinking about joining the armed forces for some time, one of those things thats always popped into my mind. But have recently finished University doing a nerdy degree, but didnt get on too well with most of the people on my course..too geeky and annoying. So now it's time to get into a proper career but wondering if i want to be stuck in front of a computer for the rest of my working life.

I'll be 23 in August so not as young as lots of people joining though i do know this age does vary a lot. And i've always kept fit, visiting the gym doing weights, playing badminton, eating well and love being active in general etc. The only thing im worried about is being too short, im just under 5'5" and i have read the minimum is 5' 0", i think, so im above the requirements. The main thing i concerned about is having to carry all that weight around and obstacles etc, i wouldn't want to fall over *text deleted*, i can take the stick for being short, get it from my mates all the time, part of life, its more the physical ability. I weigh almost exactly 10 stone, over and just under depending on the day. And am considered a muscular build, bmi around 24 and body fat ranges from between 8-10 percent (using dodgy gym machine).

Just wanted to know what people thought, would you think, i dont want this short ass covering my back..or whatever. Speaking to friends in the marines they've said there are guys about my height, but probably a bit taller. And i work at a dockyard currently and see navy guys shorter than me, but not marines, i dont think.

Anyway any insight into this would be appreciated, plus i saw the training video of the guy doing chin ups, i can do them no problem, but that bar he's on looks pretty high! :huh: *text deleted* anyway, cheers.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Mate there is no reason to be worried about people takin the piss about your height. chatting to the guys on here you will find out very quickly that we are all a really nice bunch of lads. Also i know for a fact that there is ZERO tollerance for bullying in the RM.
Anyway, there are going to be other people with much stranger things about them that is much more likly to get a giggle rater than your height. i for example am probably a bit hairyer than the average person, and that's because of my Italian roots. I have had people take the piss out of it for as long as i can remember but i don't let it get to me. the best way to deal with it is to just laugh along anyway.

hope that helps mate.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Once you pass out of training nothing matters-not race, height, sexual preference etc. All that matters is that you and all *text deleted* oppos have gone through the same intense training to earn the green lid.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh, thanks for the feedback! :) As i said though i don't actually get that much crap for being short, any of it i do get is from my friends, it's more the perception of being a short marine and doing what a marine does, carrying big loads and that overall marine ideology! But i have a good sense of humour and can laugh most things off, plus im pretty good at dishing out the banter too *text deleted*.

Anyway the main thing for me is to improve the CV workouts, running times need a big boost, strength wise not too shabby, but can always be better!

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Press-ups should be easier for you mate with shorter arms

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
mrdanie, we had a couple of lads on our PRMC who were really short, so short infact that the PTI had to throw one up to the Pull Up Bar. Provided you meet the minimum height requirement (of which height escapes me at the moment), you should be absolutely fine provided you're switched on & physically able, you should be fine :smile:

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* true, tho im not a stumpy short guy. Running should be easier as i dont have the thin air of high altitude being as my head is closer to the ground? Or maybe harder as im closer to the earths gravity, or whatever :p

*text deleted* i was actually *text deleted* say something about being thrown up to the bar :suspicious: i think the minimum is about 151ish centimetres and im about 163, though id need to be properly measured, i know its 165 for officers

J

Jason_A

I'm similar height *text deleted*...nothing to worry about. Yes, we'll have a laugh and tha...each take the p*text deleted** out of each other, but thats all part of the fun.

If you've got what it takes to go on and get your green lid, then by all means go for it, regardless of your height. I'm 16, *text deleted*.

When you planning go for it mate?

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well hopefully for you you've still got some growing in you, think i had my last little growth spurt when i was 16, wasn't much maybe an inch and that was it for me, short parents *text deleted*.

Not sure when ill go for it, right now im getting my running stamina and fitness levels up, i go to the gym lots but have left the cardio somewhat, so im paying for my sins. Don't want to leave it too late, only getting older and uglier.

But yeh it is true, all about what you got in you, if you got the fitness, determination and mental attitude you can do it.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of interest, does anyone know why the minimumn height requirements for Officers are higher?

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind knowing that myself too, perhaps its something to do with the look?, i only assume anyway.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Ninja was actually incorrect here for once!, Thats a first!.. Something to be proud of mate :laugh:.. First time you actually got something wrong!, Jesus i wish i could say that.. Watch this Ninja will end up faulting the Royal Marines official site *text deleted*..

Sam

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I shouldn't worry about that mate! I'm 6ft 3" and it doesn't get any easier, trust me, it really doesn't! All marines no matter what the height are expected to carry the same weight.

You'll often find that the smaller ones tend to be tougher :smile:. Though expect a lot of stick from the guys.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
On the royal marines site if you select the Commando Officer tab for requirements it states under Height/Weight "The minimum height requirement is 1.65 metres" :blink:

http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6911
Well spotted!

Looks like Ninja was actually incorrect here for once!, Thats a first!.. Something to be proud of mate :laugh:.. First time you actually got something wrong!, Jesus i wish i could say that.. Watch this Ninja will end up faulting the Royal Marines official site *text deleted*..

Sam
You may well be right, but the medical standards for entry that I checked state 151.5cm for all ranks. It may well be there's a different regulation for RM Officers that I've missed but the only odd one I'm aware of, off the top of my head (pardon the pun) is Naval Airman Aircraft Handlers (Firefighters) who must be between 166 and 193 cm. I understand this is so they are tall enough to reach cockpit release levers on aircraft for aircrew rescue ops & short enough to not risk injury from rotor sail & dip when they work under helicopter rotor discs.

Possibly there's an obscure rule unique to RM Officers also, I'll double check tomorrow - I'd be the first to admit if I was wrong & am happy to do so.

If I'm right, we'll request the official site is corrected in due course, but corrections, if required, take a little while.

Edited to add: Minimum height is 151.5cm for Officers & Other Ranks

SHorgan

Reaction score
To honest I find that being short has more advantages that disadvantages.. you present a smaller target for starts. The thing that gets on my nerves though is that becuase I'm so small my pack (I'm the Australian Army Cadets) goes above my head, and I can't look up without my bush hat falling off. :|

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, but yeh i wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong or anything, just saying :smile1:.

But another matter i think i read is about the minimum weight, but can't remember where, maybe this should be put in another post, but is it 9.5 stone, there abouts?. As im 10 stone, (was about 8.5 a couple of years ago but the gym changed that), heaviest ive been is about 10.5 last year after holiday but that was fat :doh:
Was thinking maybe to put on more weight (muscle), help with the carrying stuff, or maybe im a good weight for my height. Hmm. :dontaskme: dont *text deleted* get too bulky, personal thing, think ill look silly.

Whats everyone elses body shape like, i know you really need the balance between strength/fitness for carrying/endurance, seeing the new recruit videos most of the guys look quite slim, but then you see some of the current marines and they are quite beefy.

p.s. went for a swim earlier, luckily friend works at a pool so had it to myself, but it sure has been a while :( still, can do about 5 lengths breast stroke with not too much effort, but then started to mess around with snorkel and flippers!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
*text deleted*, but yeh i wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong or anything, just saying :smile1:.
It's good that these things are highlighted & it benefits us all, so all input positive or negative is well received, rest assured, we appreciate it.

With regard minimum weight, your BMI should normally be between 18-24 but whatever the BMI you must not weigh below 60Kg.