Top Malo house

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just surfing the web earlier and came across the story of Top Malo house, where the Mountain and arctic warfare cadre assaulted a house full of argentine SF in the Falklands. Pretty cool story. It got me thinking though, what happened to the Mountain and arctic warfare cadre? Was it disbanded or renamed?

Chelonian

Reaction score
It got me thinking though, what happened to the Mountain and arctic warfare cadre? Was it disbanded or renamed?
Mountain and Arctic Warfare (MAAW) cadre was subsequently designated Mountain Leaders. But I'm only an ex-Pongo. Someone better informed might comment.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to see Captain Rod Boswell's original orders for the raid, which were displayed in the mess at CTC.

A hastily planned action carried out with total professionalism by Rod Boswell and his team of highly experienced NCOs. The action resulted in the deaths of five of the Argentinian special forces, seven wounded and five prisoners. The following day more Argentinian special forces, who had witnessed the action from their OP, surrendered to 45 at Teal.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend any books or docs focused on the RMs in the Falklands war? I've got a good general understanding of the war and what took place but I'd like to know more about the specific battles that the RMs were involved in, especially the 45 yomp across East Falkland. Thanks.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You may have to speak a bit louder for some of our more venerable contributors @Chelonian any thoughts ;)

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The Yompers by Ian Gardiner

Ian was the OC of X-ray company 45 Commando.
The book gives a vivid account of the war from the early morning phone call, recalling the Commando, to boots back on the ground at Leuchars.
A great read complete with his analysis of the campaign’s successes and failures.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I'd like to know more about the specific battles that the RMs were involved in, especially the 45 yomp across East Falkland.
Try the thread linked below.
If you enter "books" into the search box and seek results for thread titles you will find several pages of threads, many of which contain information about books focusing on Op Corporate.

@Former AE and others are far better qualified to make suggestions than I am.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you get chance read The First Casualty, it’s a truthful account of what happened when the argies first invaded, written by my oppo Rick it is more like Rorkes Drift than the accounts in the national press. Another is To Few To Far, the story of South Georgia, one of my former AE section set some spectacular booby traps ready for when the argies arrived.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations all looks like there's a lot read/learn.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you get chance read The First Casualty, it’s a truthful account of what happened when the argies first invaded, written by my oppo Rick it is more like Rorkes Drift than the accounts in the national press. Another is To Few To Far, the story of South Georgia, one of my former AE section set some spectacular booby traps ready for when the argies arrived.
I thought today was a good time to revisit this. I’m still guilty of not ordering this book yet but it’s definitely prompted me to get it. Was this really 40 years ago :(

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I thought today was a good time to revisit this. I’m still guilty of not ordering this book yet but it’s definitely prompted me to get it. Was this really 40 years ago :(

I think they should teach the Falklands war in schools to be fair