torn bicep medical?

mciver

Reaction score
I injured my bicep last year and i just assumed i had pulled the muscle so got over the pain and regrettably continued training. Now a year on i’m assuming the muscle is torn as it’s still fragile in certain positions. For example i cannot lock out my arms when doing chin ups. Does anyone know if this will bar me entry or will i just have to wait longer? Obviously after i have seeked medical attention, thanks!

MonsterMo

Reaction score
I injured my bicep last year and i just assumed i had pulled the muscle so got over the pain and regrettably continued training. Now a year on i’m assuming the muscle is torn as it’s still fragile in certain positions. For example i cannot lock out my arms when doing chin ups. Does anyone know if this will bar me entry or will i just have to wait longer? Obviously after i have seeked medical attention, thanks!

I think it depends on whether it will affect your ability to undertake military training etc, chances are that if it is treated and it heals fully then you may be TMU for a certain length of time until they have investigated further to see if it may cause any recurrent issues; check the document attached. If it's a high grade tear then you could probably expect being TMU'd up to a year as that would require an operation and the bicep affects both the shoulder joint and the elbow joint. However if it doesn't heal how it should then you may be permanently medically unfit. I may be very wrong but that's what understood from the snippet below from the attachment, they don't actually mention muscle tears. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this matter will see your post and reply.

Musculoskeletal Disorders that make a person permanently unsuitable:
"Any abnormality that interferes with the ability to undertake military training. Spinal abnormalities. Certain spinal operations. Recurrent back pain or sciatica. Joint disease, pain or limitation of joint movement. Hypermobility (laxity) of the joints. Bone or joint operations within the last 12 months. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Recurrent joint dislocations. Severe deformity following fractures. Loss of a limb. Foot abnormalities (e.g. club foot or hammer toe). Complete loss of either big toe. Complete loss of either thumb. Arthritis and similar conditions. Fractures within the last 12 months, except fractures of the digits / clavicles."

Attachments

• Eligibility_Form_Online_Version.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 4