Tracksuit soldier

beans12345

Reaction score
Hi does anybody have a few details on how you get to become a tracksuit soldier/boxer in the marines how does that happen?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Someone who cuts about in a tracksuit as they are always away with a sports club.

As said above, if you want to become a Royal Marine focus on that first. It isn't an easy hurdle. If you succeed, concentrate on learning as much as you can and being the best you can be. There will be various teams and clubs you can look at once in. I’m sure there will be gen on MODNET regarding the Boxing team.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hi does anybody have a few details on how you get to become a tracksuit soldier/boxer in the marines how does that happen?
Assuming a "tracksuit soldier" is someone whose sporting talent means he or she permanently works as a professional athlete representing their unit?

Put bluntly, juggling professional career and sporting ambitions will not be a bed of roses. Unsure how it works out in the Corps. @Mr D might comment if he spots this. From an Army perspective some regiments actively recruit sporting talent to represent them.

For someone who has significant (Olympic standard) talent and perhaps less interest in a military career my advice would be to seek guidance from the head shed of the service one is considering joining. Officially it probably isn't practical but, for example, the Blues & Royals are unlikely to compel an Olympic standard polo player to shovel shïte in a stable when he or she could be better deployed winning them trophies.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
If that's your ambition join the Army, why even think of joining the RM with this in mind ??? unless you are very , very talented in a certain sport -Rugby, Boxing, it is not going to happen anyway, and even then it,s service needs first.

Chelonian

Reaction score
As an aside, many years ago when David East was Chief Constable of Devon & Cornwall Police he was a very keen follower of Rugby Union. My friend was a PC and a vey talented club player. He didn't work an early turn for about three years. The rugby team was almost a full time occupation. His 'shifts' were spent training or travelling to matches. It's fair to say there was considerable resentment from the team's less favoured colleagues.

When a new Chief was appointed he had zero interest in rugby and the team had to go back to working shifts.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Step 1: Be good at a sport
Step 2: Pass Recruit Training
Step 3: Be in the right place at the right time.

And you won’t be a “tracksuit” “soldier” you will be a Marine who partakes in a sport. While extra time may be given for aspects of training or higher level competitions. You will still be a Marine and required to deploy/train just like everyone else.

Mikej85

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To be a tracksuit soldier in the marines you will most likley have to be competing at commonwealth level.
If your set on doing something like that the raf and army are a better route as they can spare people where as the marines are so small one person makes a difference.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Curious if it’s even a viable thing, I know pre lottery funding etc there were elite athletes who joined the forces but if you’re that good there’s probably better options available now. Putting into context the England schools football u18 representative team play the navy and raf teams as part of their trials process and generally win. I don't think it will be a great answer at interview as to your motivations for joining

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Terry Marsh was in my troop, he would still do his bit with the Corps then disappear for a couple of weeks before a fight with his trainers, he was a bootneck first boxer second.