trainers

biggnick

Reaction score
does anybody know if we get issued trainers when we start rt. i start in just over 2 weeks and my legs have started aching slightly down my shins, when running about 5 miles. its not painful at all but im a little concerned that it might be the beginning of shin splints. I dont think ive had them before so i might be wrong and it might just be normal. However, i probably should change my trainers that i run in since ive had them for quiet a while, but if we get issued some at lympstone them i probably wont bother??

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
Hi Biggnick,

Yes you do get issued trainers but they are not the best. Hi tech trainers.

one thing is you have to wear issue kit for training so you will have to put up with them but if you are running in your own time then you can wear your own.

cheers rogue.

biggnick

Reaction score
thanks for your help rogue. I think I will probably go and get myself some new trainers then. Hopefully that will do the trick

matthewwookie

Reaction score
I actually left the army and went out and brought a pair of silver shadows to train in. Everyone used to hate them when training, but I never found them all that bad.

I know they aren't the greatest, but I've had no problems with them and I've used them for over a year now!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, if you're doing regular runs out to 5 miles 2 to 3 times a week, you'll need to be changing your trainees about every 4 months as the heel-cushioning becomes impacted- professional athletes change them about every 3 months. They may look ok, but the shock absorption reduces- hence the aching shins, which can lead to further injury.

The only alternative is good quality sports insoles- again, you do need to change them every 4-5 months. The key is well padded/sprung heels.

The Hi-Tech Silver Shadows appear to have stood the test of time, but the same applies with regard their ability to absorb shock.

biggnick

Reaction score
i have probably had the trainers longer than that so this is probably causing the aches. does that mean just because it aches that it doesnt mean it is shin spints? it doesnt hurt just i can feel something there. i will be changing my trainers this weekend and I have some insoles aswell so hopefully all should be ok for recruit training.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
only thing with silver shadows the sole is quite thin...very easy to turn you ankle i found

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just heard from our resident "professional runners" that those that actually record their exact mileage reckon no more than a total of 500 miles should be run in even the best quality training shoes.