Training advice/Circuits

jarhead

Reaction score
Hi all.

Been working on my running sinse i failed my first PRMC a while ago due to 3miler and so far been going quite well, but need some advice.

So far my times for runs have been:

3.18 mile 20.08 (works out at around 19.05 for 3 mile)
4mile: 26:36
5mile...70yards..33:14mins

Questions i have though are:
On Circuits, i have seen the "beast" circuits ect but from what i remember of PRMC is was pretty much Press-ups/Sit-ups/knees to chest then sprints x a hell of a lot.(also 9 exercises described can make circuit i think overcomplicated)

With this in mind i been trying the following and just wondering your thoughts on this.

Sprints inbetween exercises,then long sprint to end (ie 400 mtr)
Press-ups/Burpies/Sit-ups/knees to chest
10x each exercise aiming to do 5 sets(recovery of full 3 mins jogging between sets)

Lastly,have access to treadmill and wondering what speed kph i need to be doing to do the 1.5 mile in under 10 mins? (think its 14.0 steady, )

Also am i correct in saying 1.5mile is 2.2 KM ?as this is what the PJFT was and that was 1.5 mile from what i remember

thanks for any thoughts on this in advance

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Treadmill needs to be on 14.8 minimum to pass.
1.5 mile is 2.4km

How did you fail a 3 miler when your 3 mile stats is 19mins?

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Treadmill needs to be on 14.8 minimum to pass.
1.5 mile is 2.4km

How did you fail a 3 miler when your 3 mile stats is 19mins?
I think he must have failed, then these are newer times.

They're good run times, keep them up.

As for the circuit, it seems fine. Test it out, see if it works for you :bigsmile:

jarhead

Reaction score
I think he must have failed, then these are newer times.

They're good run times, keep them up.

As for the circuit, it seems fine. Test it out, see if it works for you :bigsmile:
thanks for the advice.

I failed my run by a couple of secs, though that is a poor mans excuse, to be honest i just wasnt a decent enough runner when i took the tests, though i found the gym work fine.

But on treadmill you sure about it being 14.8? i thought that was only for if you doing 0 degree, rather than 2.0 which the newer PJFT is done on, so thought it would be 14.-14.4 which using the running calculators says, though maybe they wrong.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Does it really matter what the minimum is, you should be going for your maximum!!
Stick it on 15 and just stay on it, its achievable!

jarhead

Reaction score
Does it really matter what the minimum is, you should be going for your maximum!!
Stick it on 15 and just stay on it, its achievable!
Of course i not trying to aim for minimum, but i want to know the exact speed of which the cut off is for getting sub 10mins for the 2.4/1.5 mile treadmill test.

Main reson to find min speed is so that i can do some intervals ie pushing up to 17 or so then reduce back down to min speed ie 14.5/8 then repeat to improve my times as sticking on 15 and doing only that speed isnt going to make you that much quicker.

I have found this helped a lot with my running by doing " intervals" then dropping back to base speed ie 7 min mile pace.

either way thanks for advice, and il stick it on 14.8 as the min.

(im still correct in saying that 1 min rest between the runs is "forced" stop and you cant just lower the speed of the treadmill to walking pace.)

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
One way I really improved is actually getting my "out" leg (first 1.5mile) really easy.

I used to go in and set it at 12.5kph and go for 25-30mins. I found this helped me loads as I was really fresh when it came to the return leg.

On getting return times up I found the best thing to do was gradually up the pace throught the run, eg. every 400m up it by 0.5kph and try to never turn it back down again, istead if I truly can't go faster, postpone the raise in speed, just try to never slow down. Doing this method I gradually increased the starting speed.

Just what I did and it really worked wonders for me, 3 months ago my return was 12.10 last night I broke my return PB with a 8.58 and was really chuffed.

Hope this is helpful, any questions fire away.

jallen289

Reaction score
14.8 is the minimum on 2% incline or 0%. Put it on 15 just to be safe.
On the first run it's a minimum of 11.7, better to do it on 12 then slow it down the last 200 metres or so.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I did the second run mainly on 14.5, but upped it by one every few 100ms. The difference between 14.5 and 14.6 is not noticeable, but I'm pretty sure 14.5's the minimum..Although with 14.5 you may have to sprint the finish haha

jarhead

Reaction score
I did the second run mainly on 14.5, but upped it by one every few 100ms. The difference between 14.5 and 14.6 is not noticeable, but I'm pretty sure 14.5's the minimum..Although with 14.5 you may have to sprint the finish haha
Thanks for the heads up, though im pretty sure i wont be having 14.5 on the last part...

JMC that sounds like a good idea, i been using that method and it seems to be working so far, though i not sure why i worrying about the PJFT considering my current running has improved a lot compared to what it was, all in the mind i guess so less talk and more running i think is required.:rolleyes:

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
JMC that sounds like a good idea, i been using that method and it seems to be working so far, though i not sure why i worrying about the PJFT considering my current running has improved a lot compared to what it was, all in the mind i guess so less talk and more running i think is required.:rolleyes:
As long as you are oushing yourself hard gains and PBs will come with ease.

Set yourself the challenge of seeing how hard you can push yourself, it hurts but it is fun.

Hahaha, yes always the temptation to come on here and talk about it and not actually do it. I just come on here every day during work for motivation, keep my evenings free of the forum for thrashings. :kult: