Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Training Diaries

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by poprm, Jan 22, 2020.

1. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi all,
    Need to make a training diary for my medical but no idea how to lay it out or what information to include etc..
    Could anyone help me that has done one before or anyone that’s knows how, just need to know what information i need to include, how to lay it out,

Cheers

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There's a fair amount of information on the forum about training diaries generally. Definitely worth entering the phrase into the search box and having a browse of the results. One example below:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/training-diary-for-capita.116664/#post-666075

3. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m more trying to find like the way how to to set it out, it’s for shin splints so not sure whether i should include push up pull up etc or just focus on my running and how my shins are each day.

Not sure if i do it on word or Spreadsheets, completely lost on this.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Did you see the other posts in the thread I linked? A couple relate specifically to shin splints:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/training-diary-for-capita.116664/

If you have been requested to provide a Training Diary for shin splints I'll wager that lower limb performance generally and running in particular will be of more interest than your ability to perform pull-ups.

I don't think that there is a set format. A spreadsheet might be better as you can easily populate cumulative results per week and per month, along with average speeds and mileage.

Some use applications such as Strava which is obviously a total data-fest.

5. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    My suggestion, for whatever it’s worth, is to just write down every single thing you do for training.

I’ve been writing down day and date followed by the exercise. In a sub heading under the main exercise I write the sets, reps and weights/distances/times.

I don’t think it needs to be super complex. I just think they want to see that you are able to maintain a strict regiment of intense training.

Best of luck mate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Haven’t been requested one yet, got my phone call soon, have a feeling i may be asked for one. I’ve read the page and it’s helpful inside to know what to put, just need a layout and format to make it easier rather then messing on for ages putting in a small amount of info. Cheers for the help much appreciated.

7. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    What have you used for yours? Just trying to find an easy method to do

8. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m doing mine as a precaution. I have a very minor foot deformity that’s never cause me any issues, but I have a feeling that something will be said about it. So doing the diary just in case.

It’s also a good way to keep myself honest and accountable. I can review weekly and make sure I’m doing the necessary work.

9. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Same reason as me, flat feet used to cause shin splints but doesn’t anymore so need a diary to help prove it. How are you making your diary, what are you using.

10. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Example of my running day:

- Hill sprints
    5x 200m hill sprints w/1 minute rest

- 5km road run
    Steady run @ 6min/km pace

- Bodyweight Circuit - 5 Rounds
    20x push ups
    20x jump squats
    50x mountain climbers
    30x sit ups
    20x bodyweight rows
    90 second rest
    (Repeat 5 times)

That’s just an example of layout for an average day.
    Hope it helps!

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I did a search on the forum and found a template Training Diary which has previously been suggested for Royal Navy candidates. Attached below.

It might give you an idea of how to present the data. Ask your Careers Adviser if it is suitable for your purposes. Best of luck.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. poprm

poprm Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thank you for finding that, that will be good to base it off.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The formatting went a bit wobbly but edit to suit yourself.