Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Training Diary/PRMC Record Spreadsheet Feedback

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Firedrake, Jan 4, 2019.

?
  1. It's just what I was looking for.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. There are not enough selectable exercises.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It has loads of bugs (Please describe).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It has little use for the induvidual but may be useful for keeping records for groups of people.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't like the layout (please make a suggestion).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. It's on Excel and I don't have access to Excel.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. It's too complicated to use.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  8. Other (Please state)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A while ago on the thread "A Gift to all Potential RM 1.1" I posted a spreadsheet for people to try out.

If you could answer the poll and/or give some feedback to what you thought of it would be greatly appreciated.

2. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I downloaded it and was amazed at how much info is in it, you did well to make it. I had issues with using it though, in theory it's a great way to fill in your workout data and track your progress but it is quite tedious to fill in (referring to the exercise workbooks and personal workbook). I'm guessing the data in "personal" auto-fills from the exercise workbooks but it would be nice to manually input data and go from there.

I do like how you have included multiple fitness plans in the document though, that is a great idea and very helpful for people who may be having a hard time finding the good ones.

Personally I just use "fitnotes" on android and it does the job just fine. If you found a way to manually input weight increases for each rep into the exercise workbooks I would probably import my data to it, for now though it is too confusing for me and I used to work in I.T. and excel was one of my mainly used programs... Good effort on creating it though, a bit more refinement and it will be a great tool.

If anything I mentioned can actually be done then disregard this post and help a dummy decode it;)

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I do believe a lot of the time guys tend to over complicate things. These days there are plenty of apps around that let you track all manner of activities via a smart phone. It's just a case of pressing the Go button and they record it all for you and additionally, should you be TMU at any point they can prove invaluable in providing evidence of what you have been doing.

I constantly tell guys to follow the KIS mantra, (Keep It Simple). If you don't have a smart phone then a sheet of A4 with the date, the distance covered and the time. Speed is then easily calculated using TDS formula. Easy to follow and just by looking at your times for similar distances will tell you if you have been improving, or not.

In the gym, if you can crack 5 pull ups one week and the next you record 6, you've improved. It's the same with the sit ups, press ups, 1.5 mile return and bleep test. All recorded on a sheet of paper.

Before the advent of spread sheets I would follow a 4 month programme for my marathon training, all recorded on that sheet of A4, and just by looking at my average speed for a run, no matter what the distance, I could instantly see what progress I was making.

Remember KIS!

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  4. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I used Fitnotes myself for a while. it is a great app, especially the Pro Version. That together with Just Six Weeks, or Sportsman Pro make excellent training assists.
    I can't recall why I stopped using Fit Notes. There was something about it that I wasn't to keep on and felt took me away from the set training I was supposed to be doing. Which is why I built this spreadsheet
    As for filling in current records you just need to enter it into the log, To fill the records page yourself on the personal page would destroy the formulas and arrays and cause it to stop working, which in turn is why I locked it. Can you be a bit more specific as to where your trouble is. PM me you email if you want me to send a half filled version for you to look at.