Training for the Marines - What kit should you wear?

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After speaking to a lot of people, I have heard many different methods for training for the marines with regards to kit.

Some people say to train in only comfortable kit e.g. shorts, t-shirt and running shoes. Others say to train in boots, trousers, bergen etc.

I was thinking that a mix of both would be a good idea. For example, if I was too run 4-5 times a week, run 2-3 in comfortable kit and 1-2 in boots, trousers and bergen.

What are your opinions?

Pingedsole

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would advise against training in boots and especially carrying weights. Initially you are training to pass a pjft then a prmc so focus on running good 3 mile times and lots of hill sprints. There are plenty of guys on here with great first hand experience but as I said, especially if you are young, avoid boots/weight and focus on prmc style exercises.

DevonSW

Reaction score
When I was training I never ran in boots and trousers however I would now suggest to do it a least once a week to get used to boots , after prmc you get given boots to break in.I would do 80% of training in comfortable kit because when in training your going to be running a lot in wet and uncomfortable kit with weight so enjoy training now!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Walking in boots & walking carrying weight is fine. CTC specifically advise against running in boots or whilst carrying weight. You get paid if injured in training - if you get injured prior to joining, you're losing £1K+ per month for every month you are not progressing toward your goal.

Otherwise, use proper running training shoes if you want to avoid lower-limb injuries & join as soon as possible.

It's a good idea to get used to running in trousers (tracksuit bottoms) and a long-sleeved (rugby) shirt, but for day to day, shorts & running vest are fine.

the happy sloth

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN WITH WEIGHT.
Also running 5 times a week is far to much, 3 times maximum is all you need.