Training from scratch

Levi

Reaction score
Hi *text deleted* been wanting to joing up for marines for a while now im 17 tried collage and all that and found it wasnt for me im just wanting to know from those in training ot those who have been in the royal marines

1) what to eat what i should have in my three meals a day to help prepare

2) what to train and what weights to go up to so i dont struggle with the running

3) any tips and advice on how to start with my running training swimming and cold resistance training

i want to be that marine who goes in to training prepared for what im taking on

thanks for anyone who reads this and helps

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,

Just a few answers to your questions from me, but also do check on the link provided above as it really explains everything down to a T.

Hi *text deleted* been wanting to joing up for marines for a while now im 17 tried collage and all that and found it wasnt for me im just wanting to know from those in training ot those who have been in the royal marines

1) what to eat what i should have in my three meals a day to help prepare

You should have a mixture of carbs, protein and fats. Carbs such as pasta, rice, bread etc. Protein such as beef, chicken, eggs etc. Fats from olive oil, nuts, peanut butter.

2) what to train and what weights to go up to so i dont struggle with the running

Do you mean how much you should weigh? If that is the case then generally weight doesn't cause a problem with running. It will however cause a problem with carrying of big weights like bergens, fireman carries etc

The minimum weight to join is 65kg, so as long as your above that you should be fine getting in. Its really down to your body and your height to decide what your optimum weight should be

As for training train your running, try to be able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes so you won't have a problem with your PRMC. Try to mix it up, don't just do running as you will get bored. Cycling, Rowing, Swimming etc can all increase your cardio.

As for weight training, generally its not recommended, usually you will be much better off training with body weight exercises like press ups, situps, squats etc. However lots of guys on this forum like to do weights and i believe it does not hinder their training look on the training suggestions part of the forum for more info.

Cold resistant training? You generally can only prepare yourself mentally when it comes to the cold. You will get used to it during training. Just learn to ignore it, its all about a state of mind at the end of the day.

3) any tips and advice on how to start with my running training swimming and cold resistance training

Just run until your body reaches a decent cardiovascular level.
The get fit to apply section will help you greatly with this.
For example,
Day 1 - Run 10 - 20 minutes
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Run 10-20 minutes(or cycle or swim)
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Run 10-20 minutes(or cycle or swim)
After every week try and add 5 minutes on to your exercises. Do this until you can run for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. This will mean you have built up a decent cardiovascular level. Which means you can move onto interval training, hill sprints etc. Which i recommend looking on the training and diet section.

For a good body weight circuit look on the get fit to apply page you have been provided.

You can make up your own routine, i suggest starting off slow and maybe train 3-4 days a week and as you get fitter move up to 5 and than twice a day.

i want to be that marine who goes in to training prepared for what im taking on

thanks for anyone who reads this and helps

Don't be afraid to ask anything on the forum but please do look through the training and diet section of the forum, as there are loads of threads that discuss the different types of workouts and nutrition guaranteed to help you with your training.

Don't forget to use the training tool provided in the link above! As it will be very helpful to you.

Levi

Reaction score
thanks very much for the reply and the information is very usefull thank you

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You want to be looking at getting a fair bit of your calories every day from fatty sources, but go for natural fats and try and stay away from saturated fats.
As regards lifting at the gym, my advice would be to start off small and just try and gauge with yourself what weight you should be lifting at. Remember to take plenty of rest and that overtraining is going to set you back a lot.
The rest of the stuff you're after can be found around the forum.
Best of luck mate :)

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Weights are fine but it depends on how you use them really. Putting it bluntly, you only really use weights to increase strength or muscle growth. (both are different)

Training for muscle growth (bodybuilding) wouldn't be ideal as you 'll be putting on weight without the full benefits. Your strength to weight ratio would be alot lower than what you'd get from strength training. Most bodybuilders will go for 8-12 reps per set as that will tear more muscle fibres than any other rep range.

Strength training is different altogether. You will want to be aiming for 3-5 reps per set and doing compound exercises e.g. Deadlifts, squats, bench press. Trains your body to use the strength in real life situations when muscle have to work together in groups to get the job done. You also wont put on as much muscle as you would by bodybuilding, but you'll get stronger which means it wont really effect your running. I think it's because the rep range mainly affects your central nervous system which in turn gets 'stronger' and allows you to recruit more muscle fibres, more effectively, in order to lift the weights.

I'll do this twice a week, legs and back on one day and the rest of the upperbody the next day. I also do boxing twice a week and a home made circuit too.

HLNL

Reaction score
You want to be looking at getting a fair bit of your calories every day from fatty sources, but go for natural fats and try and stay away from saturated fats.
Hmm, think it's slow energy release foods high in carbs that are best mate, sorry to contradict you there.

Have a thorough look at that Get Fit to Apply (training tool) link. Almost EVERYTHING you need is there - diet details/suggestions included :)

Good luck fella.

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, think it's slow energy release foods high in carbs that are best mate, sorry to contradict you there.

Have a thorough look at that Get Fit to Apply (training tool) link. Almost EVERYTHING you need is there - diet details/suggestions included :)

Good luck fella.
I'm sure I read somewhere that getting around 30% of your calories from fat can boost your testosterone quite well, helping muscle growth and recovery, etc though I can't remember the source and may well be talking *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*.