Training, getting fit.. Help!

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

Well i've failed my PRMC twice, 1st time going in half heartedly and 2nd time narrowly failing. I've had to redo my Eye test ''passed'', PJFT ''this wednesday'' and my Medical, have to re-book.

Its been 5 months since my second PRMC, and since then i've been to the gym atleast 4-5 days a week working on my upper body, and also going down the common and working on my CV. I've been doing alot of circuit training the last month, trying to overcome myself for the next determination test... that nearly killed me.

But the reason i made this thread, i feel fitter in myself during the week when training, but on the weekend all my mates do is drink. So obviously im dragged along, but in some cases i don't mind! ''obviously!'' BUT.. last few weeks its got worse, been partying till 5 in the morning, drinking a whole crate to myself. Its getting mad.

Next weekend, i'm only going to drink on a saturday night and cut it right down to a few.. but do you think this past weeks would effect me in my fitness? sorry for this being so long..!

thanks! would appreciate any feedback

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi JK,

well mate I'm sure deep down you know the answer. This I'm almost certain will be the last chance at it. I know several AFCO officer that don't even give someone a second chance never mind a third.

Basically this is it bud, if you don't pass this time it's all over! last chance to change your life. Forget your friends, they are just an excuse you are giving yourself. We all have the thoughts that we'll do it next week, we'll do it after the holidays, we'll do it next month, it has to happen now this minute.

If I were you, knock next Saturday on the head. Make it a statement to yourself about how much this means to you. Although it is one small night out, it's that line in the sand you have to draw.

Your choice,

Mate I think this is the nicest reply you are going to get on this one and I don't think some of the others will be as understanding.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yep! much appreciated. I'm not really an in door guy, i like to be out and about! and to make the matters worse i have a gf :!:

you are right! this is the last chance.. i've been training for alsmot 13 months now. I'm not joining the Army, *text deleted* that.

Thanks for your reply.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
best of luck with it, hope it goes well for you

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
At risk of appearing rude, two PRMC fails & a "failed to attend medical" would almost certainly ensure the rejection of a prospective candidate in most cases. Nothing you have stated is in anyway valid mitigation.

You must have an extremely sympathetic careers adviser who is prepared to throw you a lifeline. My advice is that you grab it with both hands before he justifiably lets go his end.

I'll leave it at that.

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate if you want this bad enough, then you should consider staying in. Think to yourself it's not worth it, I don't know where your at with your fitness but I need to shed a few pounds still, and going out Friday/Saturday is not good, Firstly for me having 10-15 pints a night is 3450calories plus a pizza is basically just a joke, then for the next couple of days you can't be arsed doing anything, feeling like crap and eating crap, and before you know it, its Friday again!.

Up until a week prior to my PRMC in January I was going out drinking every weekend as it becomes part of your life and a habit, and I always felt I was missing out on somrthing. The PRMC was hard and would have found it so much easier without the drink.

Now I don't drink, I have been staying in for the past month preparing for a PRMC hopefully in December (finding out today). Yes it's hard but at the end of the day you have to understand especially yourself that THIS is your last chance! So basically you need to grow up and think about number one!! Nobody else and especially not your girlfriend as I know what women are like.

I've basically told my mates to fook off and not to ask me to go out and they understand, If they don’t then they don’t care about you or your life.

When it comes to the weekend I set my alarm for 5am so by the evening I can’t be arsed to do anything anyway.

JK said:
Hello
Next weekend, i'm only going to drink on a saturday night and cut it right down to a few.. but do you think this past weeks would effect me in my fitness? sorry for this being so long..!

A few as well???? we all know this never happens!!

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris and Ninja!

@ Ninja, well i've phoned up a week ago had a short conversation with the AFCO and told them i still want to carry on my application. I've also got a letter through where you have to tick the box confirming that you want to stay on.

@ Chris, i am or was in the same situation as you were!. I am up to scratch with my fitness, i;e 3 miles the press ups, sit ups.. but your never to fit! and i don't want to loose what i've already got. Going to the gym today and going to do atleast half hour on the bike, just to burn of what i gained on the weeked. Then tomorrow get back into my circuit training and start pushing myself.

Appreciate all the feedback, Cheers lads!

Jamie

Reaction score
I know its hard staying in when all your mates are going out , i was in the same boat not long ago but you *text deleted* realise that it will be worth it in the end.
Just remember when you pass out you will some of the best mates ever to go out and get pissed with all around the world.

paddlequack

Reaction score
No more excuses.
Bed at 10 o clock every night mate.
Drink diet coke when you DO go out.
Work out nearly every day and eat food only Ray Mears would eat.
If you want that Green Lid THAT bad, you'll sacrifice a few weeks of fun with your mates to sort yourself out.

Part of the Ethos of the Royal Marines is Determination.... use it!

marcus2007

Reaction score
Absolutely right Paddlequack. I went out 1 day a week at the most! Still, i didnt even get drunk or anything. I stuck to the 2 pint rule, then within a month of PRMC didnt drink at all. I can honestly say the no alcohol rule made me feel so much healthier!

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i'll agree with that. used to quite happily have a few beers every other night, but when i really started to crack on with my training cut it out all together, completely tee-total. does make you feel so much better.

however had a stag do last weekend.....still felt like *text deleted* wednesday.

If you abstain this saturday night JK and train early Sunday morning, you'll have made an achievment. Time to focus mate and get with it.

However, after my prmc, WHEN I pass (PMA), think i might treat myself to a beer......or two!

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nah its not the stress of the lads taking the piss out of me, i'm bigger than most of them 'if ya get where i'm coming from' and most of my mates do understand! last saturday was a 50/50 and i was so close to going home early, but a party got called up and bla bla..

Truely determined! i want this so bad! but is going to bed early.. say about 10:30 really rellevant? could i go to bed when ever i want.. but still get up early?

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Truely determined! i want this so bad! but is going to bed early.. say about 10:30 really rellevant? could i go to bed when ever i want.. but still get up early?

Not if you want to get a decent training session in. I along with nearly every other bloke on here love nothing more than a few cold pints down me neck at the weekends, but when it comes to training it just doesnt mix..
I have knocked the beer on the head completly as its my biggest weakness and when my Mrs runs a bar and its free that aint easy!! :shock: but Im looking at the bigger picture its only a few months, not forever. I have got to give it my all to be ready in the time period available for the selection weekend and it will make that first beer after passing (*text deleted* be optomistic :*text deleted*: ) best beer I will ever have.

The next most important thing is SLEEP! Now this can make a big difference in training performance, I dont have the luxury of a full 8 hours a night and havent for the last few years as I have 4 kids all under 5years so sleepless nights are something I have to work around. Every other night I get to sleep in the spare room and I make sure I get an early night to catch up on my rest, the difference in training is very noticable and I feel better generally.
There is plenty of time to party and have fun in life but there are also times when hard work and disipline are needed more and this my friend is one of those times.

"Dolor brevis, superbia aeterna"
"Breif Pain, Eternal Pride"

Good Luck

matthewwookie

Reaction score
I totally agree with Southerncomfort, sleep is really important as it gives your muscles time to recover and grow stronger. Sleep I would say is as important as rest days and a well balanced diet...without to much alochol.

I never thought it would happen to me, but I've caught myself several times not buying beer/wine because I don't want to wake up rough the next morning and have a rubbish day training. The only thing I can say is time your drinking to co-inside with a rest day...so that you've not wasted a day you would otherwise be training...thats if you must go out. I agree with everyone else though and say its not worth it. Head down and focus on the end goal (prmcm, not the lid at this point)

Cheeers

Matt

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well you sound like you want it.....then some of your actions sound like that your not seeing exactly whats involved.

pleny of lads on here give training tips...diet tips..protein tips....hell everything in terms of advice is on here including interview material.

i swear ive not touched a drop of ale since june 27th..becuase i *text deleted* give my self the best chance possible....im eating only the good foods (even though im gagging for some pies) IF YOU WANT THE CAREER you have make sacrafices matey...my mates dont understand..because they have small town mind syndrome....they *text deleted* get pissed and fight all weekend.

if you want it pal...do it 100% not half arsed as the corps will see right through you

think of it like this..when your in and hopefully passed...you can then spend most weekends on the piss!

but your not there yet..

good luck mate :D

Latest posts

New Threads