Training help

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Surfbum, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Surfbum

Surfbum New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Like most of us, it's tough to try and find the right training to fit around a full time job. I work 3 shifts on 3 shifts off (12 hours) and I average around 18-19km a day pushing and pulling weight around. I'm incredibly dedicated to meet the standards required to be a RM and trying to surpass them but I'm aware of over training when you take into account my "work mileage".

My question is, I appreciate its a different kind of exercise but if I continue to run after work will this eventually lead to an injury? Should I leave the running to my 3 days off and concentrate on gainers/rest for my 3 days on?

2. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Are you a postman!?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Surfbum

Surfbum New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I'm a dispatch team leader for a large bakery, but an old fashioned one! Lots of bread and lots of walking!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If it was me I’d be running on my days off, I’d rather attack a run with maximum effort rather than half heartedly after a 12 hour shift.

You can still squeeze in a quick 30min body weight session on work days.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Surfbum

Surfbum New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    At the moment, I'm not feeling anything to suggest an injury is inevitable so ploughing through and running every other day. Both 1.5 best speed and long runs with upper body strength inbetween.

I'm lucky enough to have never been injured during training, not because I know what I'm doing (believe me) so either luck or clearly not training enough so Its just messing with my head now. Don't fancy getting injured before I even start!!

6. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What ever works for you I’d say, by the sounds of it your body is conditioned to cover mileage already.

By your username, you surf?

7. Surfbum

Surfbum New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Either that or I have so many ripples on my ass it resembles a wave! Yeah I love my surfing mate. Its taken a knock for a while though, kids and life etc etc

8. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Decent! I work on the beach at present, it’s a hard job to leave. Surfing and swimming are mega decent cardio though!

9. Surfbum

Surfbum New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Nice one mate! I can imagine it's more of a hobby then a job. I'm slightly envious. Certainly feels like a workout when you're caught in a rip