Training Lay Out - Individualisation...

tacticalfitness

Reaction score
Just an idea I have played with that I thought I would share!

Everyone is different and to narrow it down broadly speaking, most lads going into PJFT/PRMC/RT will either be bigger guys who might find the running/endurance aspects tough or smaller guys who may find running comfortable but aren't as capable in the gym tests/obstacle course/rope climbing and importantly in training heavy load carries.

A template I have used before is something along these lines:

'Big Boys'

M- Run (intervals)
T- Short Gym Session (focus on upper pulling)+Rowing/Cycling/Swimming 20-30 mins easy.
W- Slower/Longer Run/jog @ very steady pace, slowly built up.
Th- Recovery Session in the pool or on bike Building from 30-90 mins over time.
F- Gym Session (Focus on upper push and setups)+ Rowing/Cycling intervals (Over time transition this to running)
S- Run - Tempo
S- Day off. Long Walk in comfy shoes, possibly building to boots after PRMC. NO RUN!

'Racing Snakes'

M- Gym Session Upper and Lower Body
T- Running Intervals
W- Upper Body Gym Session
Th- Rest (Easy swim/Cycle)
F- Gym Session Upper and Lower Body+Rowing Intervals
S- Longer Tempo Run
S- Long walk, possibly building to boots after PRMC. NO RUN!

Hopefully this may help some lads build their training as they approach whichever stage of the process they are at.

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
in response regarding your post which i found to be very informative especially the advise to incorporate rowing,cycling,and swimming with moderate lifting and pulling of weight targeted at the appropriate muscle group.i do not whoever have the answer as to the question long lad short lad thin lad stocky lad medium lad or a combination of all ingredient parts. i believe the endurance aspect with the greatest respect towards training lies within oneself therefore can not be fully explained as to the most appropriate way to achieve that.it would be interesting to have your feedback on this topic.

tacticalfitness

Reaction score
It is a very broad brush approach absolutely! The reality is that there will most definitely be anomalies for sure.

Big guys (heavier) will always struggle with running compared to someone who may be as fit as them but weighs less. That is the main point and I think the main thing seen is that bigger blokes will sometimes struggle with the running aspects of training/selection.

Smaller blokes will sometimes struggle with the load carrying aspects.

These are generalisations. Not necessarily the rule!

As always with strength and conditioning, this is a theory and an idea. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to train.

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
@tacticalfitness I'm curious as to what stats you got on your PRMC with this programme and how the 'big boys' get on with only doing one bodyweight session per week. Funnily enough if you combined these plans together I would say it's a solid plan and looks like something I follow as well as other candidates I've spoken to.

I don't think it's a very good idea to only do running if you're big built or only do weights if you're wee. I've got mates who are 'big boys' and lift weight in the gym I can only dream of but they can't even do 1 pullup. I would suggest everyone should target their all round fitness and train specific to joining the corps which means press-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. This is the advice I have received from my AFCO.

I can't see the benefit of 'long walks' unless you're with a lady-friend. I spend Sundays eating and resting, fueling myself and making sure im ready for the coming week.