Training on a Treadmill compared to Training on road

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
People say you usually get a better time on a treadmill compared to on the road.
What sort of difference do people experience? After my first 2.4km run since recovering from Shin Splints, I am feeling abit dissapointed, I was running against the wind most of the time etc, but still.

personal experiences?

Zefan

Reaction score
I find that any benefits gained from running on the treadmill are heavily outweighed by the lack of air flow and the resulting build up of heat. I actually hate treadmills for this reason.

chew1e

Reaction score
yeah i find myself absolutely drenched in sweat after a tredmill run, but it is easier. You should be able to knock about 30-1min off of your road 1.5mile time. You just *text deleted* have a few practices and find the right pace setting for yourself.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well its PJFT time for me tomoz, will let people know how i get on and the difference between treadmill and road, for me.

dovey1001rm

Reaction score
Best of look for 2moz, just hang in there and keep going and you'll be fine!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I can do 1.5 miles in 7.30 on the road, 9.45 on the treadmill. This might have something to do with my gym I took my PRMC in had no air con =(

Ash

dovey1001rm

Reaction score
wow 7mins 30 that is super quick! have you got rocket shoes on *text deleted* j.k

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I can do 1.5 miles in 7.30 on the road, 9.45 on the treadmill. This might have something to do with my gym I took my PRMC in had no air con =(

Ash

7.30? thats a 5min mile pace. The best *text deleted* seen in county is 5min Pace.

That in my maths equates to 38 second 200m run which is about 21 seconds off the world record.

I think the world record for a 1mile is 3mins something.

So either, your a top athlete or your running Km instead of miles.

Which would mean your actually running 0.932 miles, which equates to a 8 min mile, which is still respectable.

But then you do a 9.45 on the treadmill which is a 6.30 mile pace?

Either way, your better running on the road, it develops the leg muscles far better than the treadmill. And you will get used to running in cold, wet, hot, uneven etc.

Stacka

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I found out it's not my distance that's wrong it's my watch. My dad timed me today balls out and I managed 7.59 - Sorry for wrong information =D I should get my watch battery changed it's damn old now, I noticed it takes more than a minute to get to a minute!!

Ash

Normster

Reaction score
Doh! I personally prefer running on the road compared to treadmill, the pace feels a lot quicker on the treadmill for me and i dont feel as relaxed. On treadmill did 8 mins but i have done 3km on road in 9 mins which is 600m further which equates to 7.12 mins. I did however start the treadmill quite slow (16kmh) and found in the last 600m i wanted to go quicker but by this point it was already at max speed (20kmh) *text deleted*.

BellamyK

Reaction score
Running

When would be the best time to start running training for Marines?
i get up at 6-6:30 everyday for school however i just lye in bed till 7, and i aint sure wether to go running in the morning, or whether its pointless??

themightyg-notyetbutsoon!

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When would be the best time to start running training for Marines?
i get up at 6-6:30 everyday for school however i just lye in bed till 7, and i aint sure wether to go running in the morning, or whether its pointless??

why would it be pointless?

you should be aiming to run 3 miles in 20 minutes, and 26/27 minutes is generally the times those who can run 3 miles without stopping will get to when they first start training.

I would suggest getting out of your pit and onto the road to see what times you can get,

Its never pointless going for a run, you kickstart your metabolism for the day doing that as well seemingly and you'll feel fresh as a daisy for school once you get fitter.

BellamyK

Reaction score
i heard that its pointless running and exercising in the morning as your muscles and body are not at optimum performance till around 2-4 pm?

i go for a 2 mile run in the evening between 8-9 as that helps me tire myself out and go running.

i will beging morning runs and let you know how i got on

thank you

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i heard that its pointless running and exercising in the morning as your muscles and body are not at optimum performance till around 2-4 pm?

i go for a 2 mile run in the evening between 8-9 as that helps me tire myself out and go running.

i will beging morning runs and let you know how i got on

thank you

ah, so your running already, thought you hadnt started so apologies for the wrong info.

In theory there shouldnt really be a better or worse time of the day for it, so long as your body is warmed up and your training is good your performance should be there or there abouts whenever you go running.

marines out on patrol generally go out under cover of darkness and contact often happens when the first daylight arises meaning they are sprinting here there and everywhere early doors.
You could always do a morning jog just to wake yourself up and get ready for the day then crack on with what your doing at night time?

BellamyK

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help :)

im waiting for my aptitude test?
is it hard?
also i heard for the medical, they make u dock the press-up position naked; cup your *text deleted**text deleted** then get you to cough to check *text deleted* nerves? im sure this is a myth? however i dont want to rule it out completely ?

and what are the Physical test requirements?
e.g.
pres-ups in a time limit?
sit-ups in a time limit?
running e.t.c.

many thanks

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help :)

im waiting for my aptitude test?
is it hard?
also i heard for the medical, they make u dock the press-up position naked; cup your *text deleted**text deleted** then get you to cough to check *text deleted* nerves? im sure this is a myth? however i dont want to rule it out completely ?

and what are the Physical test requirements?
e.g.
pres-ups in a time limit?
sit-ups in a time limit?
running e.t.c.

many thanks

dont worry about that at the medical, its sophie howard who does it.

psycho tests should be easy to a lad just out of school, basic multiplication, division, adding, mechanical knowledge and english.

for stats and scores do a quick check on here or contact your afco, theyre not too hard to find.

good luck fella

BellamyK

Reaction score
so hold on, they really do get you in the press up position and cup your *text deleted**text deleted**??
im sure this is against some sort of legal rights or something??

i have my physcometric test date on the 1st april...im so nervous guys how do i study/revise for it??

lubeyluke

Reaction score
so hold on, they really do get you in the press up position and cup your *text deleted**text deleted**??
im sure this is against some sort of legal rights or something??

i have my physcometric test date on the 1st april...im so nervous guys how do i study/revise for it??

*text deleted**, as long as its not a man im not bothered.