Training plan for vPJFT & ROP

JBailey127

Reaction score

Frostwisk

Reaction score
No problem lad, I've been training myself also and looking to start these as of next month

The_Chief

Reaction score
Hi guys found this on the RNs website and i think it's a nice training plan too follow
I looked into this training plan because I wanted to see if I could add something to my routine but now I'm confused? There are no runs that are at a faster than 9 minute/mile pace. Is this some sort of mistake? This seems like its far too easy plan for the vPJFT.

Frostwisk

Reaction score
I looked into this training plan because I wanted to see if I could add something to my routine but now I'm confused? There are no runs that are at a faster than 9 minute/mile pace. Is this some sort of mistake? This seems like its far too easy plan for the vPJFT.
Maybe it's to help condition your body for going long distances at a steady pace.......Doubt the RM would be going 30miles at a pace of 5min a mile

The_Chief

Reaction score
Maybe it's to help condition your body for going long distances at a steady pace.......Doubt the RM would be going 30miles at a pace of 5min a mile
You can easily and comfortably do a 7:30-8 minute mile during a 3 mile run for the average person. I would understand this pace if it were a long run , 6+ miles or so, but I'm just confused because as far as I'm aware you need to have a 6:50 or so mile pace to pass the vPJFT.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can easily and comfortably do a 7:30-8 minute mile during a 3 mile run for the average person. I would understand this pace if it were a long run , 6+ miles or so, but I'm just confused because as far as I'm aware you need to have a 6:50 or so mile pace to pass the vPJFT.

The average person these days boozes at the weekend, probably does drugs and doesn’t train at all, so I highly doubt they can do a 3mile run sub24, never mind easily and comfortably. That’s discrediting a lot of people who don’t drink, don’t do drugs and have some training under there belt. I definitely couldn’t run sub 24 when I first began training and I don’t booze or do drugs.

You definitely don’t need to be running 6:50 pace to pass the vPJFT, no idea where you heard that. To pass the vPJFT you need to do the vPJFT.

Don’t look into it too much, do press ups, sit ups, pull ups, run, swim, maybe some leg strength work, anything else would be an accessory.

Last edited:

The_Chief

Reaction score
The average person these days boozes at the weekend, probably does drugs and doesn’t train at all, so I highly doubt they can do a 3mile run sub24, never mind easily and comfortably. That’s discrediting a lot of people who don’t drink, don’t do drugs and have some training under there belt. I definitely couldn’t run sub 24 when I first began training and I don’t booze or do drugs.

You definitely don’t need to be running 6:50 pace to pass the vPJFT, no idea where you heard that. To pass the vPJFT you need to do the vPJFT.

Don’t look into it too much, do press ups, sit ups, pull ups, run, swim, maybe some leg strength work, anything else would be an accessory.
Fair enough, I suppose when I said average person I should've added average for someone who is somewhat active in cardio. Maybe I've been looking at wrong stuff but as far as I was aware the vPJFT consisted of 2 1.5 mile runs . 1 at a 12 minute pace followed by a short break and a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile. Is this incorrect?

louis07

Reaction score
Fair enough, I suppose when I said average person I should've added average for someone who is somewhat active in cardio. Maybe I've been looking at wrong stuff but as far as I was aware the vPJFT consisted of 2 1.5 mile runs . 1 at a 12 minute pace followed by a short break and a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile. Is this incorrect?

No mate. The vPjft+ is a body weight circuit which is done to commands and bleeps from the audio track. 3 rounds (for other ranks) of 20 x burpees, 30 x sit-ups, 20 x press-ups and 1 x min of front plank. Think you may be getting mixed up with the traditional pjft, which at present, isn't being carried out due to Covid.

I’d also reiterate what @smashlegs said about training for it. Jump on YouTube and get the audio track on and have a crack and see how you do. May be best to watch a video on the form for the burpees as they’re done to a 1-2-3-4 command where on each number you do a movement.

I’m also in the process of getting fit to join so best wishes with your journey pal.

The_Chief

Reaction score
Are you aware if they'll continue the traditional PJFT after covid? Unless covid goes on for another year completely I doubt I'll be doing the vPJFT. Thanks for the info.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are you aware if they'll continue the traditional PJFT after covid? Unless covid goes on for another year completely I doubt I'll be doing the vPJFT. Thanks for the info.

No one really knows, it all depends on what the higher ups decided to keep and when they decide to change it. You still need to have the standard of fitness required to pass the old PJFT though. Just keep on top of everything and I guess you can’t go wrong.

louis07

Reaction score

Can’t really say as I’m not in the know and who knows how long this Covid madness will go on for. For now, It’s the vPjft+ so that’s what’ll I’ll train for.

Just try and get as fit as you possibly can and make sure you can meet the current joining standards when you’re ready to join, and you can’t really go wrong bud.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As @Grimey Arches said, it’s all about getting that balance so that you’re ready for anything that’s put in front of you. Royal Marines are known for being adaptable after all.

Frostwisk

Reaction score
I completely agree with @Grimey Arches reason as to why I'm doing both training for the Vpjft and the Pjft and as i live on an island completely surrounded by water i'm getting in as much swimming training as i can as it can also help me gain the stamina needed for the mile runs required of the RMs

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

From what I've heard they are keeping the Vpjft as ROP is staying and the current selection process is turning out to be successful! Vpjft is designed to gauge the candidates overall fitness level as its a high intensity workout! I think you'll find it will be around for alot longer than you think quite possibly permanently. You need to train for the Vpjft or your not going to pass buddy!

Lloydxcf

Reaction score
Hi all anybody that is struggling to get 3 strong sets with the vpjft test try this - do a full circuit with a 1 minute break between each set for one week. (Monday to Friday rest and stretch well Saturday and sunday) Then decrease the break in between each set to 30 seconds on week two. And then go for it in week three. I found this helped me a lot with achieving strong consistent sets. I couldn’t even do 2 strong sets when I first tried it. So I found breaking it down a little bit helped a lot. Obviously this is all depending on how long you have until you do the test for real. Also it all comes down to how much you want it. It requires maximum effort and determination of the mind to pass. I hope this will help anybody that is struggling. Cheers lads