Training Programme

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MonsterMo, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:53 PM.

1. MonsterMo

MonsterMo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi All,

I have been focusing on the Treadmill a LOT recently but I am considering switching to this programme after the PJFT (assuming I've won the appeal for my retinal haemorrhage, the Ophthalmologist has said it's all cleared up and has checked again and confirmed this and will see me again for the third time with his colleague to provide a second opinion and confirmation to make my case in this appeal far stronger). The programme is as follows:

Example Programme:
    Monday: Heavy Squats (AM), Long Run (PM)
    Tuesday: Push-Ups/Sit-Ups/Pull-Ups (Pyramids ie 1-1-1, 2-2-2, .... , 9-9-9, 10-10-10, 9-9-9, ... , 1-1-1. Where 1-1-1 means 1 Push-Up, 1 Sit-Up and 1 Pull-Up performed Consecutively)
    Wednesday: Sprints (AM), Squat Centuries (PM)
    Thursday: Swimming and Treading Water
    Friday: Sprints (AM), Long Run (PM)
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

Running:
    • 24 sets of 100 metre sprints with rest in between each set, and gradually reducing the duration of the rest periods until 24 sets can be run with no rest as fast as possible. This is mostly for speed and improving cadence.
    • Running 5 miles at a comfortable speed and gradually speeding up, this will help with the endurance and pace control.

Weights (Squats: Each Squat must be *text deleted*-To-Grass ie when Hamstrings are fully resting on Calves, High Bar, Pause Squats for at least 3 seconds at the bottom of the movement):
    • Heavy squats to strengthen lower body muscles and improve lower body coordination and then gradually lifting heavier, this will also help with improving bone density and strength (reduces risk of stress fractures etc).
    • Centuries on squats, where a light weight is used to do a set of 100 reps and then gradually lifting heavier, this will work Muscular Endurance and will also dip in Cardiovascular Endurance.

Does this programme seem feasible? Or do you reckon that this will be too much? I am hoping this programme will get me ready for the PRMC; if you know of a better workout, please tell me as I really want to ensure I smash everything given this Medical setback (assuming that I win the appeal).

Thank You.

2. posh_punter

posh_punter Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Looks good to me mate. Includes plenty of leg work, which is vital across the board.

The only thing I'd suggest is try and practice the bleep test too. I did one every week for a couple of months before PRMC and was a huge help. Also make sure you do all your pressups, pullups and situps to the beep ( you can download this from youtube).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MonsterMo

MonsterMo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    How do you download from YouTube? Because YouTube drains my battery considerable but audio files don't; yeah I've been recently doing them to the beep using YouTube and it's made things so much harder haha

4. posh_punter

posh_punter Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Loads of online tools that can do it mate. I think someone posted the audio files on here actually. Have a search.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MonsterMo

MonsterMo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Will do mate, thanks! :)

6. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    If this was for me, I would...

At the end of your Tuesday session I would add short rowing intervals, I.e. 10 x 30 secs sprints with 30 secs rest, or 5 x 500m with 2 mins rest or something like that... I would also add in Dips, (weighted or unweighted depending on your level of experience and fitness), weighted pull ups definately.

I like your sessions for Wednesday, but I would probably do both at the same time I.e. one sprint followed by 10 squats x 10 just off the top of my head.

For Friday, replace either AM sprints or PM long run with press/sit/pull ups

Also,

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/gym-test-bleeps-audio.82227/

• Like Like x 1
  7. MonsterMo

MonsterMo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test

Thanks Dude! Sounds excellent, I will definitely give that a try! :)