Training programme

Partridge

Reaction score
I am soon going to be making a training programme for when gyms and pools open to get as fit as i can possibly be before joining the marines after i finish college so i have over a year to train. I have been into fitness for quite a bit over a year now and would just like some tips and things that i should 100% put into my training programme.

I've completed the PRMC fitness requirements during lockdown to see my baseline level of fitness and my results are as follow;

Push-Ups - 42
Sit-Ups - 73
Pull-ups - 9
1.5 mile best effort - 9.28
Haven't been able to do the bleep test but last time i done it in year 11 i achieved 12.7 and feel i am fitter at the moment so i'd say i could get around the 13 mark

I know these results are satisfactory but i want to aim for the highest before i finish college to join.
Any help and tips are massively appreciated, thank you.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There some very good stats indeed!

Is that 1.5 mile after the 1.5 warm up and are those stats to the bleep?

You don’t need help on your scores just keep doing what your doing , only thing I can suggest is maybe have an attempt at the bleep test to see where you are with it now other than that keep it up.

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Partridge

Realistically you could max out all by the end of the year if those are your stats now. Perhaps get your cardio a bit stronger. Plenty of running!

Partridge

Reaction score
There some very good stats indeed!

Is that 1.5 mile after the 1.5 warm up and are those stats to the bleep?

You don’t need help on your scores just keep doing what your doing , only thing I can suggest is maybe have an attempt at the bleep test to see where you are with it now other than that keep it up.
Ye the 1.5 mile is after the 1.5 warm up and the tests were done to the PRMC audio. Ye certainly when i have the chance to do the bleep test when leisure centres open definitely going to give it a go to see where i am now with it.

Partridge

Reaction score
@Partridge

Realistically you could max out all by the end of the year if those are your stats now. Perhaps get your cardio a bit stronger. Plenty of running!
Ye maxing all them out is the goal, want to be as fit as i can possibly be before going. My cardio isn't top notch but since lockdown I've started going on a mixture of long distance , short distance and fast and slow which will obviously help. Getting a weighted vest for my runs as well to make it harder and add resistance

Ginglm

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't need that gym membership mate. A pull up bar and a pair of trainers is all the equipment you need. Often I'll go to the gym back home and see some lad preparing to join banging out heavy squats and bench presses. It is really isn't necessary. Good effort on those stats though. Keep working hard keep improving. Any questions about training or anything fire away

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The benefits of easy running can’t be understated. The easiest way to boost your cardio respiratory fitness is steady state exercise. Try an 80/20 split, with 80% of your running being easy runs.
Getting a weighted vest for my runs as well to make it harder and add resistance
The consensus from all trained ranks here is that you do not run with weight, as it is a fast track way to injure yourself.

Partridge

Reaction score
The benefits of easy running can’t be understated. The easiest way to boost your cardio respiratory fitness is steady state exercise. Try an 80/20 split, with 80% of your running being easy runs.

The consensus from all trained ranks here is that you do not run with weight, as it is a fast track way to injure yourself.
Yes i did think about that before buying the weighted vest but i will not be going on long fast runs with it , i'll only use it for short runs at a steady pace. I will not be using the vest just for running i will be using it for Push-ups, Sit ups and pull-ups as well.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ye the 1.5 mile is after the 1.5 warm up and the tests were done to the PRMC audio. Ye certainly when i have the chance to do the bleep test when leisure centres open definitely going to give it a go to see where i am now with it.
That’s very good stuff!

Don’t need a leisure centre just use your phone on a field!