Training Questions

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone I joined this website a while ago buy my PC broke and Ive only just got this new one and I was just wondering if some members would mind answering a few questions about training I want to build my upper body strength up and get my endurance for running up also burn some body fat.
My programme at the moment is:
AM
Monday: Run 3 miles takes me about 29 mins
Tuesday: Interval run again 3 miles but I don't time this one its just for burning body fat and getting my 3 miler time down
Wednesday:Run 3 miles
Thursday: Interval run 3 miles or 9 mile bike ride
Friday: Run 3 miles
Saturday: Rest Day
Sunday: Interval Run 3 miles
Every time I come off a run interval run or a bike ride i do my upper body workout which is basically press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats, half sits, tricep dips, alternate elbow to knee sit ups, star jumps,

PM
Monday:cardio at gym (treadmill, bike, ski machine thing, rower) chest & triceps then swim
Tuesday: Cardio & swimming
Wednesday: Cardio Back & Biceps then swimming
Thursday: Cardio & swimming
Friday: Cardio & Legs & shoulders then swimming
Saturday: Rest Day
Sunday: Cardio & swimming

1.On the weights what reps should I be aiming for I use no free weights only machines.
2.Am I doing too much? If I am what could I do to reduce this?
3.I am not really good at Pull-ups could anyone give me any tips for getting better as I can only do one :sad2: :dontaskme:

Sorry the post is so long just thought Id make a good long one for my first post *text deleted* thanks for reading and to anyone who replies thank you really much really really appreciated!:bigsmile:

harrygooner

Reaction score
I think you are doing to much ......way to much. training twice a day 6 days a week surely your body cannot take the battering.......although congrats on your determination its commendable at least. i would recomend 2 days rest per week.
Try running Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 1 day do 5 miles another do fartlek and other day do sprints, that should improve your 3 mile time by a lot.
Lose the bicep and shoulder workout, just concentrate on Pull ups sit ups(crunches) and press ups with correct form, say 4 sets 3 times per week do max for each on sunday, for your pull up problem, try chin ups and as you get better try pull ups, or try lateral pull downs at your gym, from what you wrote about your running times you should concentrate on that more than anything as 29 mins will need to be 21. also add burpees to your exercise circuits, they are such a great exercise. From what i have seen from your current workout you should have no problems attaining your goal just because of your determination. Hope this was a help.

Iles

Reaction score
Slightly echoing Harry, definitely need to look at running and is this a program you've just started?
Because if it is you really need more rest and don't train twice a day at least not every training day, you'd need to build up to this.

Also Lat Pull downs are good to develop strength for pull ups if you can't manage many yet. Also some gyms have an assisted pull up machine where you do the reps but a weight and pully type system help you making it easier and you gradually decrease the help from the machine.

Good luck with it all mate
Matt

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is running in my program mate it looks a bit of a mess so you might have missed it *text deleted*. With the lat pull downs what do you recommend high weight and 6-10 reps? or a medium weight and 10-15 reps? or more? also is there any more things that could be any help? Also is there anyone who could write me a good diet that could help me lose weight because I'm 5 foot 10 and I'm 16 stone so yes on the heavy side of things which is probably one of the reasons I am crap at pull-ups.

Again thanks for the advice really really appreciated!!:amuse:

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There is running in my program mate it looks a bit of a mess so you might have missed it *text deleted*. With the lat pull downs what do you recommend high weight and 6-10 reps? or a medium weight and 10-15 reps? or more? also is there any more things that could be any help? Also is there anyone who could write me a good diet that could help me lose weight because I'm 5 foot 10 and I'm 16 stone so yes on the heavy side of things which is probably one of the reasons I am crap at pull-ups.

Again thanks for the advice really really appreciated!!:amuse:

Pull ups, defo a medium weight you want to concentrate on, when you get around the 7th and 8th rep it should be extremely difficult, used to do lat pulldowns alot when i was in the navy field gun team, because of that when i tense my lats i look the biggest idiot going, big lats are not attractice :) haha Anyways any back excercise will help you on your pullups, just keep it sensible, dont over do training your back, youll know it :)

Best way ive found, get your self a chin up bar! install one in your door frame etc in your house, then every time you get the urge, crack on with some pullups, practice makes perferct, its all muscle memory, you can only get better with practice...

As for the weight issue, just eat clean simple really, no snacking, (if you do, make it fruit) easier said then done as im crap at saying no too a nice burger now and then, but just keep it sensible, allow ya self one cheat day where you just pig out on whatever u weant, that way it will be easier to stick too your healthy eating goals.

oh and totally cut out your PM training session and just replace that with pressups,pullups and situps practice in the evening.

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone really appreciated advice taken thanks alot :shakehands::amuse:!!

harrygooner

Reaction score
this is boring but try follow this diet for a couple of weeks, i do when i need to lose weight but keep muscle.

Breakfast Snack Lunch Snack Dinner

Monday Porridge Banana 2 Pitta Apple Chicken
(Hoummus) Satsuma ( Veg (Green))
(Wholemeal)

Tuesday Porridge 2 Satsumas 2 Pitta Apple Chicken
(Tuna) ( Veg (Green))

Wednesday Porridge Banana 2 Pitta Apple Spag Bolognese
(Hoummus) (Wholemeal Spag)

Thursday Porridge Apple 2 Pitta Banana Chicken
(Tuna) (Veg)

Friday Porridge 2 Satsumas 2 Pitta Apple Chicken
(hoummus) (Veg)

Saturday 3 Egg Omlette--------- Salad----Fruit--------Treat yourself

Sunday Grill Up ----------------Chicken Salad-------- Steak

Grill Up, 2 Sausages, 2 Bacon, 2 Eggs, Mushrooms, Beans.

Do not drink crap like lucozade, gatorade, only drink water and a glass of orange juice after workout, also a chrondrotrin, glucosamine tablet.

This is so dull but the pounds will shed so quickly

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot harrygooner starting this Monday just a quick question though mate. On which meals do I have the foods that are in brackets?
EG....
Friday Porridge 2 Satsumas 2 Pitta Apple Chicken
(hoummus) (Veg)
when do I have the veg and when do I have the hommus?

Also is the chrondrotrin, glucosamine tablet one tablet or two? and could I get the one or two tablets from holland & barett? as I take a multivitamin and cod liver oil capsules and I buy them both from there.

Cheers for the info mate really really appreciated thanks so much cant wait to start the new diet :amuse:!

Iles

Reaction score
Yea with the diet make sur you eating breakfast and I would try to eat around 5 or 6 times a day. It will mean you will metabolise what you eat at a faster rate and will store less as fat. I tend to feel more energised when I eat like this as well.

Although *text deleted* it's a case of I should practice what I preach because I seem to have a constant liking for bacon sandwiches and Full English Breakfasts:worried:

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Iles mate I need to stick to this diet if I'm ever goin to make it *text deleted*
I usually have a fry up on a morning with a nice warm cuppa *text deleted* all stops Monday though *text deleted* :rock:!!

harrygooner

Reaction score
sorry royal1 when i wrote it, it came under the meal ,....... hoummous in the pitta and the tuna on tuna days, veg with the chicken, if you get bored with chicken go to tescos and get their steaks i think its £3 for 2 steaks(155kcals each) with chili.

Also tesco also do porridge, with apple and raspberry, already made to measure just add skimmed milk.not full fat, it has the same protein count but more calciuim. (oatsosimple) i think

should read

Breakfast: Porridge
Snack: 2 Satsumas
Lunch: 2 Pitta (hoummous)
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Chicken ( veg)...... for veg try broccolli... wonderfully good for you and sprouts runner beans etc maybe carrots, boiled or steamed. This is a low calorie low GI diet. The pitta's are wholemeal, not white. The only thing is im 12 stone.... so i think.......hmmm........ add 2 hard boiled eggs to your morning snack, keeps the protein going for keeping muscle mass. anymore questions just ask.

harrygooner

Reaction score
1 more thing...chicken breast tesco do 4 for £3. Any sklin remove please. and tablets are in tesco as 1 tablet but you have cod liver oil so i wouldnt bother. also after you workout you must replenish the muscles, 200ml or orange juice is more than adequate, and i mean after every session.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:O

*text deleted**text deleted*ing hell royal1 I'd be dead if I did that schedule *text deleted* :O

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks harrygooner mate! just so happens that the town I live in (Hemsworth) has just had a new tesco superstore build bang smack in the middle of it *text deleted*! thanks for the diet mate really appreciated:bigsmile:

FrancisL1991 I am usually dead at the end of the week but my gym has a jacuzzi & a sauna room & a steam room so they help me relax a lot:amuse:

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet

We have a sauna at our gym too. They make you proper hungry :flushed:

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:iagree: *text deleted* I usually have a massive dinner after *text deleted*

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again everyone I was just wondering if you could answer another question? This one is about PJFT I know its changed and I was just wondering for the first 1.5 mile (12:30) what effort level should I put the treadmill on? and then what should I bang it up to for the next 1.5 mile? and what time does it have to be run in? I want to get a definite pass. I run on a Technogym treadmill like this one Treadmill - Technogym

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!!:amuse:

Turfy123

Reaction score
he first part of the run you need to average 11.6kmph and the second part is 13.8kmph.

This is the minimum that you have to put it on. so on the second half put the speed at around 14-15km just to get a decent time.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Hello again everyone I was just wondering if you could answer another question? This one is about PJFT I know its changed and I was just wondering for the first 1.5 mile (12:30) what effort level should I put the treadmill on? and then what should I bang it up to for the next 1.5 mile? and what time does it have to be run in? I want to get a definite pass. I run on a Technogym treadmill like this one Treadmill - Technogym

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!!:amuse:

15kph will give a 2.4k time of 9 mins 36
16kph will give a time of 9 mins
17kph will give a time of 8 mins 30ish
18kph will give a time of 8 mins

12kph, for the first part of the run, will get you 12 mins.