Training Regime

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Corona, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Corona

Corona New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So after quite a bit of research, I created this training regime. I've used everything from the royal marines fitness poster and then added in some extra stuff in order to help me gain weight:
    Monday: AM: Arms weights+Running - Tempo - 30 min | PM: Circuits (as designated on the poster)
    Tuesday: AM: Core weights+bodyweight+ Swimming 30 min | PM: Circuits (*text deleted* try and find another type to change things up)
    Wednesday: AM: Shoulder weights PM: Running - intervals
    Thursday: AM: Leg weights | PM: Circuit
    Friday:AM: Arms weights + Swimming - 30min | PM: Circuit
    Saturday: AM: Running - steady - 60 mins | PM: Chest weights
    Sunday: AM: Rest

The runs I do are along the Mendip hills (if you're in the area send a msg would be great to have a workout partner).
    I have added weights into there, not because I want to become huge (I've heard that can be very detrimental to the running side of things) but because I really need to gain weight. To help with this I am trying to eat approx 500 calories extra than I normally would. There is a technique behind it that you all may have heard of before: Add that no. calories to your normal diet until you stop gaining weight for 2 weeks, then add another 500cals

That's about it hopefully, it doesn't look too retarded but I am open to every bit of advice possible - I need it,
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. Seags98

Seags98 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Looks good mate, could maybe add more runs in there that are distance orientated instead of time. That way you always know if you’re improving.

Only thing I’d say to definitely fit in is a BFT and a Bleep test. A lot of people are getting caught out on the bleep test on PRMC so it’s best to get into the habit of doing them sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Corona

Corona New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah thanks will definitely add those in, I completely forgot -banghead-

4. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    you probably won't need that many weight sessions, be specific to what you need i.e. press ups, pull ups and sit ups, you could do a full body workout a few times a week as it also allows more time for cardio too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. razzmatttaz

razzmatttaz New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Think about adding an 8 to 10 mile run in there as well and your laughing. Also it's detrimental to do weights everyday, your muscles need time to recover. Maybe sack the Wednesday shoulder session off.

6. Corona

Corona New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah right thanks will do. Not sure I've ever ran that far *text deleted*

7. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

You still applying for The Reg?

8. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

If youve never ran that far start off say 4 miles or 6 whatever your on try avoid 8 miles on pure concrete recks your knees its a full On session but yeah you could easily incorporate shoulders into arms add a pfa or bleep test or both

9. Corona

Corona New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Will do thanks. I started off trying to push myself too hard before and ended up screwing with my legs.

10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Main thing is realistic doable targets loads guys put mega training programmes up here and complicated but sticking to it is hard work if theyre conviluted with different reps speeds techniques. Keep it simple and effective

Do plenty of glute activation and warm up range of movement before runs and stretches. Nothing worse getting injured before getting in

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Corona

Corona New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah thats one of my main worries, failing before I even get a chance. Keeping it simple is something I definitely need to do, otherwise I can struggle to really do it all properly. Think someone put on here 'keep it simple, stupid'

12. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi Mate, not sure what your current fitness levels are at.. but if you are just starting off i would add in a more rest days and build up to it or just 1x workout a day.... 2 a day workouts x6 is alot! Periodically increase the intensity. If your body is not used to this sort of intensity it may burn out! The body needs to rest, recovery and adapt. Personally I would take out the arms sessions out. Biceps are a small muscle wont help you gain weight by working that out X2 a week. If you 100% must do weights then I would stick to compound movements, dead lift, squat, military press and rows and close grip bench x2 a week, this works the whole body. Schedule these sessions a couple of days apart to allow sufficient recovery, 5x5. I like the tempo and interval runs they are really good for helping your running.

The tests are pressups, situps and pullups and a BFT and Bleep test so improving these should be the main focus of the schedule.

The PRMC fitness plan is pretty good and I would give it a try!

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...oin/4857_gftj_preprmc_fitness_plan_pdf_v1.pdf

• Like Like x 4
  13. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    its a maybe at the minute, i was in the process this time last year but the medical stage *text deleted*ed me over a bit, it is what it is though, but i think i am going to stick to what i originally wanted and join the Royal Marines instead mate.

14. MozzaLUFC

MozzaLUFC Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    dont know how your muscles will manage to grow when you are training them twice a day, i wouldnt bother doing workouts dedicated to one muscle group either, what i do is 2 weights sessions, 2 bodyweight sessions, and 1 bleep test practise a week, in the weight sessions i do bench press, squats, deadlifts, weighted pull ups, weighted dips, and some lat raises. its good to get used to training your whole body, and not just 1 part of it, as thats what its like in RT.

15. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Marines medical *text deleted*ed me over just waiting for prac now army said there was nowt wrong with me

16. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    exact same situation mate. GOT made pmu by marines army said I'm fine waiting for a date for prac

17. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Looking at it without bias, how stringent does the army need to be in comparison to the RM. Does the RLC need to be as hot on lower limb injuries as the RM? Id hazard a guess and say no.

You weren't f-ed over by the marines medical, there was an issue with you/ your records and they're playing it safe, lest they have to pay out a med pension for something that should have been highlighted in the medical.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. Geespt

Geespt Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This can be done as i do it, i train a certain muscle group on each day of the week in the morning before work (workouts are based around RM fitness anyway, for example exercises to better pressups, pullups etc.) and then do either a BFT, 5 mile run or bleep test on the night. It’s all about a good healthy diet and taking on the right calories and you can build cardio and strength at the same time!

Good advice, don’t need to do biceps twice a week and also they are small muscles indeed so they only need about 4-5 exercises.
    However i would still try include these as biceps are important for pullups. A PTI told us on my PRMC that biceps should be trained as he didn’t when he first joined and he lagged behind with pullups!

I’m a PT so these are just my opinions, however with fitness theres many opinions on whats best and what isn’t haha

• Like Like x 2
  19. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah I get it although I don't know if job preference affects medical standards. The paras are obviously at similar risk of injury to the marines. Does this mean they are more stringentt on a para applicant at medical than say an rlc applicant

20. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Got 18th August had a niggle so rearranged for a month so I'm ready