Training with a puprose

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Right, after recovering from my current severe case of man flu, I will be doing some proper training to sort myself out. I'm 17 and currently just under 13 stone and 5 foot 7 - hence my username. I'm sick of being so useless haha and im thinking that my training really needs to step up a few notches. I mean, my neighbour is running 10k (6miles) in about 42 mins and hes in his 40's, whereas last time i tried i was struggling to clear it in an hour! I have increased my running now as my knees can handle it better nowadays, especially first thing in a morning.

Plus im never going to get far in my application if i can't even pass a PJFT, let alone PRMC, RT etc. So, i want to lose about 1,5 - 2 stone (lost 4lbs last week) and that'll surely help running if im carrying less unwanted chub with me.

That is all,
Sorry about my little depressive rant!

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you're not in a rush, lose weight slower if you can. Try and determine your bodyfat % and then don't drop too quickly. The more fat you hold, the more weight you can lose without losing muscle. However, you'll still lose muscle. I dropped 2-4 lbs a week for a couple of months, probably lost a tonne of muscle.

If I was you;
Lift weights, 10-12 reps, use a calculator to determine how much weight you should use.
Sort out your diet, getting enough protein.
Hiit cardio will burn more fat.. hill sprints/tabata

Resistance training, eating enough protein, and not being at too much of a calorie deficit will help retain muscle. Which is what you need/want, trust me! Anyway, keep up the motivation, weigh yourself once a week, and take progress pictures!

Be prepared to buy a whole new wardrobe, I've done this 3-4 times, and I'm still cutting. Wasted a fortune on Ralph Lauren polo's too, ebay?? haha!

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mate! I really need to do more HIIT, ill gradually reintroduce it by adding a session in and the another 1 or 2 as i improve. Diets better now, going along with carb cycling at the moment. I'll go for the fat guy in baggy clothes look until *text deleted** lost the required amount of weight, failing that i have a brother about my size but not fat haha! Once again, thanks for the tips :)

JMW123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah if i were you mate, i would start aiming to run 3 milers at a constant pace until you start getting fitter. Then start on interval training after a few weeks, which i heard is the best for losing body fat, as you burn calories for a while after the exercise has stopped.

Then with nutrition i would just try and eat proper foods that are natural. Meat, vegetables, fruit, carbohydrate and good fats like cashew nuts. A constant supply of calcium is very important when training also as it helps with recovery of the muscles and bones, so drink some skimmed milk everyday (Red cap).

Also get skipping rope, do quick rounds of one minute then 30 seconds rest then another round of one minute etc. Killer.

All the best.

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i can run 3 miles at a constant pace, just focusing on doing it faster, as im doing it in about 25-27 minutes, not that i frequently time it which im going to do more often too. I like the sounds of the skipping rope, i have one but its neglected (usnused). Cheers for the useful input buddy