Training with sore muscles

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My legs are still very sore from the previous days - Monday, Tuesday and Wedensday. Yesterday I had a rest day and today my legs are still as sore as ever. Been doing loads of sprints mainly, including squats, burpee's and lunges down at RMR and BMF.

I feel fresh CV wise, but my legs still sore. Shall I rest today aswell or just go out and train? I'm not worried about the feeling of the pain, I just don't want to injure myself or put myself back by stopping the recovery.

I really wanted to do some hill sprints and a 3 miler later.. what do you think?

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rest *text deleted*, you'll just waste everything you've done the previous days if you keep on... enjoy.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well if you've cained them the past 3 days I'd take today off, or what I would do your routine today and then take 4 days or so off. It's not something you would do regularly though(thrash your legs 4 days in a row)

You're going to eventually overtrain if you always go at it like that, take a good time off, upto a week even and you'll come back at it even stronger, good rest is extremely important to gaining.

Personally I've noticed better increases in my progress with a couple of days rest between runs as opposed to 1 days rest or running days in a row.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No, I didn't train yesterday I took yesterday off.

Ok, on Monday I done a 4 mile run with 5lbs of extra weight. Done it in 29.15 and my legs did feel tired after that.

On Tuesday I done some sprint training. Started off with 3 sprints up this steep hill and then about 4 more sprints up other hills. Then in the evening I went to British Military Fitness class and chose advance level. We done some short quick runs, burpee's, squat thrusts & squats.. also upper body like sit ups, press ups and plank posistion.

On Wedensday I went to Royal Marines Reserve in London. Took part in the holding troop, done burpee's, squats, firemans carry a few times and loads of short drill sprints. Also done squats with someone on our back so that was hard. Session wasn't too hard but I was a bit fatigued.

Yesterday I was at home nearly all day. I done nothing, I relaxed and bored myself to death.

Today I am considering whether to train or not. My legs are still tired, the muscles are sore when I grab or poke them but cardio wise I feel good just that my legs are pretty tired. Would you rest in my case or not?

foggers

Reaction score
Try stretching out your sore muscles. I wake up and my legs hurt even though I haven't done a run in 2 days (due to work) so I really need to stretch them down. Or try some deep heet or something like that.

Another important thing to notice is that muscle wise you only actually get stronger when your muscles are recovering. I forget the details but I remember someone talking about it. After you've exercised with a run or something your muscles will take time to recover. As you exercise more those muscles will get used to the recovery and recover quicker and also get stronger.

But CV wise is different I think.

And doing hill sprints quite a few times can lead to injury as well.

Sounds like you've been busy though. No wonder your legs are hurting.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So i've had thursday and friday as rest days. Not happy lads, really not happy!

Ah well, I guess sometimes if my body is crying out for a rest (or my poor legs in this case) then I guess its rest it is!

No rest on Sunday though, no time for my body to keep feeling sorry for itself! Just give me less burpee's you stupid instructors!

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted*ing hate burpees.

*text deleted*, same. But you know deep down that they are good for you and that the Royal Marines will dish them out in abundance, since they hurt like *text deleted*!

Paddy Doyle managed to do 1,850 of them in 1 hour, as well as weekly and annual world records in burpees, press-ups etc:sick:

Have a look at his list of endurance records:
Paddy Doyle - One of the Most Prolific Record Breakers

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of running like, but yesterday I started doing Squats and Lunges with 5 kg dumbells in each hand, I've woken up this morning and my legs feel like they did when I first started running!

different muscle group or what? it's mainly my thigh, especially around the back.
Gutted, because I really fancied a nice long run today.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of running like, but yesterday I started doing Squats and Lunges with 5 kg dumbells in each hand, I've woken up this morning and my legs feel like they did when I first started running!

different muscle group or what? it's mainly my thigh, especially around the back.
Gutted, because I really fancied a nice long run today.

Mate at RMR we had to do squats with someone on our backs! That's like squatting 75kg!

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My training streak started last thursday, on thursday i did my cardio and my upper body and leg press, then on friday i did about an hour working on my marine pressups group muscles and a 10 minute cardio on the bike, and today i attempted the 3 miler is this wise or is it an ok 3 day workout streak ???

New Threads