training

Martin_Chalk

Reaction score
i know im going to be joining the royal marines when ive done a degree but i've just started looking into the reserves and realised i know nothing about them. So what i was wondering was can you do this alongside college/ 6th form and uni or do you need to find time to do the full rt (for officer preferebly)

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well i'm joining the RMR whilst improving my A-levels this year, then i'm off to uni next September. With the RMR you do exactly the same stuff as the regular recruits do but you take longer to do it (1 weekend a month and 1 or 2 evenings a week), which in turn would mean that it would take a year to earn your green beret as opposed to 32 weeks like the regulars, but you will still be of the exact same standard at the end.

I am also aiming for officer in the RMR but have been told that in the RMR, you have to complete the year of recruit training as an ordinary marine before you can apply to be promoted to the rank of officer (theres no direct route in the RMR).

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you get your Green Beret from RMR, and then finish Uni and decided to transfer to Regulars, do you still have to do the same RT?

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you get your Green Beret from RMR, and then finish Uni and decided to transfer to Regulars, do you still have to do the same RT?

You shouldn't really have to, because you'll already have your Green Beret, you're already a Royal Marine Commando like the regulars, i know you have the option of signing a full-time reserve service contract for a number of years which basically means that you are attached to a regular commando unit for that period of time, but as for transferring completely. But i'm sure they told me it was possible.

sooty795

Reaction score
raz is correct you can transfer to the regulars as a normal rank, but as far as i`m aware not as an officer. you would have to do the whole officer training, you`d wear your green lid, but still have to start from scratch.

Martin_Chalk

Reaction score
so you could get your green beret while at school college ect, and then when your ifnished uni just completely leave the reserves to join as an officer but would still have to do the whole training?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack this thread. Just wondering,if you join the RMR and passout, whats the possibility of making a fulltime carear out of the corp? Can you transfer to FTRS for xxxx amount of years, or is it quite a short thing

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you'd have to start officer training from scratch, but you do have to apply for it on a completely seperate basis especially if you're going for officer in the regulars.

Apparently you can sign full time reserve service contracts for 1 to 3 years(maybe even more), then after the contract ends you should be able to sign another one.

But if you're thinking of doing many years of full time service then you're better off joining the regulars first.

TheYeti

Reaction score
A guy I know that is an RMR said that if he wanted to get a commission with the regs he had to start over again from scratch.

I think his exact words were something like 'I'd have to go back to learning how to wash my arse crack again'

So you would basically become a green lidded officer nod.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh thats correct. If your RMR and want to then become an officer you have to do Regs officer training,but can wear your lid. My mate who was in officer training said there was 2 lads in his troop who had them. And one had it taken off him as he was such a plonker, the CPL's said he didnt deserve to wear it!

Martin_Chalk

Reaction score
cheers, one last question, do you need parental permission to join cause theirs no way in hell my parents would. my mums been in tears about me wanting to join

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Only if you're under 18. But you should try and talk your mum into it anyway, training will be so much harder without your family behind you.