Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Transfer from Army

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by philbutt, Sep 28, 2009.

1. philbutt

philbutt New Member

I am currently serving in the British Army.(R Sigs) I am looking into possibly transfering, i would like to know how easy/hard it would be to transfer out of the army and into the Royal Marine Commando. Would anyone have any accurate information regarding this? Many thanks

2. Morts

Morts Veteran Contributor

im not too sure mate, but i hear its a pretty tough process

3. carrington123

carrington123 Venerated Contributor

have you ended your return of service?

look through the threads by ninja, or use the search theres definatly threads out there

4. mfcliam

mfcliam Member

hey i left the army in may and i am planning on joining, ive done my application and had a little brefing & interview and they have already booked me in for my psychometric in a couple of weeks this is all in the space of a month, its all happend very fast witch is really down to my recruiter the only thing that will slow it down is for the marines to get a copy of your service records.

it might be diffrent as your transfering but best of luck with it all.

5. muzza181

muzza181 Member

Thats the quick bit mate a also want to join,and i have had to wait 6mths now to nearly 7 mths for my army records,the AFCO told me the Army is the worst to process the information,bloody joke a guess,but everyone wats to join the Armed Forces!roll on the interview in a few weeks hopefully!!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

By far the best method of joining the Royal Marines if you are currently serving, is to transfer "in service" - see your Regimental Careers Management Officer (RCMO) in the first instance.

If, however, the Army will not grant manning clearance to transfer then the process below outlines what happens. You would normally expect to start on the new entry rate of pay however the Royal Marines branch manager would advise what, if any, seniority is awarded upon completion of RM Recruit Training.

To process your application you must first provide all of the listed documentation (1-9 below), the onus is on you to provide them at your earliest opportunity.

1. Discharge Certificate

2. Last RORRS Report (RN/RM only). This must indicate whether you are recommended further service.(If the report states you are not recommended for further service then we can not process your application, if it says after "x" months, you must wait for that time to elapse before you may re-apply)

3. Your last service pay statement. This ensures you get paid for your service seniority, providing you completed training & have not been "outside" for more than 12 months. Unless you are rejoining the Corps as a trained re-entrant, you will join on the New Entry rate of pay. Once trained you maybe awarded some seniority for former trained service.

4. Passport (You must have a valid one as a condition of entry into the service)

5. NHS Number

6. NI Number

7. Birth Certificate

8. Red Book- ARMY ONLY

9. Testimonial- Royal Marines

When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

a) Your former service records.
    b) Your former medical records.

The AFCO can not accept application forms without first taking copies of the above documentation.

The AFCO will then apply for your former records. (Typically this takes about 3-4 weeks for former RN/RM & RAF applicants, former ARMY applicants is approx 8-12 weeks). On receipt the AFCO will then apply for permission to process your application- this takes a further 3-4 weeks & is granted by the Royal Marines Branch Manager. Providing you are considered a viable candidate for re-entry, the AFCO can then proceed with your application.

If you are a Trained RM Commando re-entry, you have to be interviewed, pass medical, PJFT & have your Security Clearance renewed before the AFCO can apply for permission for you to re-enter service. Your Branch Manager will advise what additional training you must undergo upon re-joining, subject to when you left the service.

For all others: Your Royal Navy Recruiting Test (RT) has to have been passed within the last three years, and have scored high enough for the Royal Marine Commandos. ALL former RAF & ARMY candidates, together with RN/RM applicants who have underscored or are out of date will be required to sit the RT. If you score high enough, you will be interviewed & if found suitable you will be medically examined & if you are passed fit for service you will undergo the pre-joining fitness test.

If you pass all of that the AFCO will then re-apply for security clearance, which takes about 6-8 weeks. After being granted security clearance the AFCO then apply for permission for you to re-enter the service.

You should be aware that the waiting time to enter the service can vary from month to month and is subject to variance because of the limited amount of training places available and the number of applicants at any given time.

There are several things you should also take in to consideration when re-joining the Service, but two major considerations are as follows:

1. You will be required to undergo phase one training at CTC Lympstone if you are a former RN/RAF/ARMY applicant or did not complete phase one training to an adequate standard previously.

2. You will re-join the service on the AFPS 05 pension scheme regardless of which scheme you left on - this is significantly different to the earlier AFPS 75 scheme and you would be strongly advised to investigate further how this will affect you.

The thing to remember is that re-entry is by no means guaranteed & your former record of service is a key factor in your being permitted to re-enter.