Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Transfer from Para Reg to RM (Basic training)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Shon.L.R, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Hey guys, I'm Shon, had a profile on this a bit ago but lost it.
    I'm currently in the process of getting medically discharged from para depot and undergoing physio / rehab at the moment.

As the Army won't let me back in until 12 months at least (despite getting a firm recommendation to return from the OC of para coy in catterick) I'm looking into getting into the RM after my 6 months rehab stint is complete.

From what research I done the RM basic is a lot ''smarter'' than what depot was as in the way you train in regard to how the phys is structured. Resulting in less injuries etc in comparison to depot. This is a major influence in me wanting to change branches.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you lads in the coming months.

2. lawley23

lawley23 Venerated Contributor

Nice one mate, you rest up well

How long have you been in the para's for?

3. dandylion

dandylion Well-Known Member

I agree with you there my friend, it feels like you jump into the phys. really fast from the start, I think its partly down to the length of training, having to cram it all in maybe. Good luck!

4. Mitch2012

Mitch2012 Valuable Contributor

Welcome to the forum fella, good to have you on board! I was thinking about going to Harrogate for a year when I turn 16 and then joining the para's.. Any advice? Or objections? What's para life like from day 1 of basic up until the day you leave, or in your case discharged.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome.

In order to manage a realistic outlook with regard joining the Corps after a medical discharge from the Army, it's probably worth bearing in mind that the tri-service standards for entry are broadly similar and for Royal Marines, sometimes even more stringent.

Whilst a favourable Army report from your OC recommending further service is required for re-entry into the armed forces, the actual criteria for entry is based on the reason for discharge.

In the case of medical discharge, it's usual to have a "recovery period" before an individual may join due to the rigours of training - be they Army or Royal Marine Recruits, after the injury or condition is fully rehabilitated.

The list of conditions are endless but common issues such as fractures and cartilage operations usually carry a 12 month period for re-entry, whatever the service. Certain surgical procedures, in particular Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction are an outright bar for the Royal Marines.

Hopefully your injury/medical condition does not fall into the categories listed above but if the motivation to join the Royal Marines is based entirely on the expected recuperation period being shorter, it maybe as well to consider which job you prefer if the waiting period is in fact the same.

Best of luck & a speedy recovery.

6. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Thanks for the heads up Ninja, my estimated recovery time (given to me by the med center) was 6 months and not a ACL injury nor have I / will require any reconstruction surgery. I see a private physio and a NHS physio while on recall and both have similar projections.

Mitch2012 - Training is rampant mate, Phys 5-7 days a week from week 2-6. Then 5 days a week unless your on ex after that. I have a background as a personal trainer and come from a fitness family and the training all recruits (joe's as you'll be known) goes against most principles of training. Frequent high impact training with minimal to no rest. Its designed to break you mentally and physically and the latter will most likely occur. Out of 1000 para recruits 40% will break their femur (the strongest bone in the body). In my experience out of a full platoon (48 lads) roughly 4-10 originals will pass out. If you DAOR, prepare for a long painful discharge process. Med discharges are long and drawn out but the difference is the full screws are nicer too you haha. My advice would be train your body in every aspect to be as robust as possible, strength, speed, endurance and flexibility. Mental strength is also a major one. Any queries mail me and I'll try and answer as best I can mate.

Lawley23 - Cheers mate I'm trying to get back into it ASAP! I was in para depot 2 months before being sent on recall. I'm still in employ of the ARMY until officially discharged

Dandylion - Damn straight, I think they should increase it to 32 weeks or so. Mind you it might be bad now but it was worse in the 70's - 90's. Some of the horror stories you hear.
    Edit: See Further posts about the grossly inaccurate statement about fractures of the femur

7. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Starting you app for RM or Para?

8. dandylion

Yeah I can imagine it was worse but I'm sure they implemented new things for us newer recruits! Yeah I think 32 weeks would allow for a better training schedule but it's one of those things 'if it isn't broke why fix it' as they get enough blokes as it is.

9. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Not really mate there is a shortage on Para's at the moment if ARMY career advisers are correct. Injuries and other things being contributing factors to lads not completing basic. That and when talking to Sgt's and Cpl's in the reg, alot or going private too

10. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Venerated Contributor

Even though she never ended up in the health sector, my mum used to work as a hospital nurse. For some reason they used to handle a lot of Army injuries. One lad basically had his life ruined because he'd broken his ankle in 3 places AND snapped his Achilles tendon on the steeplechase but the Cpls made him run on it. He even did the 20-miler on it before they MD'd him! :eek:

Saying that, Achnacarry was hardly a sit-off. The horror stories apply to both forces. Fact is, if you want to be the best (whether that's Airborne or Marine) then there's going to be injuries. The RM officer on "Real Life - Commando 2000" sums it up nicely.

11. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Aye we heard of a RAF reg guy who completed his 20 miler with a fractured femur, so they allowed him to forgo the resp of p coy as he demonstrated extreme mental fortitude. Hard nuts come from all branches, I 100% agree.

Not sure about the Achilles tendon one though, you ever seen one snap? The Gastrocnemius (calf muscle) retracts and curls up to the back of the knee. Sounds like a ruler snapping. The guy I witnessed also collapsed and was incapable of applying any weight onto that leg. Another example of mental focus, a lad in my platoon fractured his shin during the the steeplechase on our PRAC and still went on to complete the 4 mile hill run including ''Land of nod'' the next day.

Horror stories I meant though were things like the ''Airborne broom'', things that leave mental scars from basic training. 70's-90's recruits were subjugated to worse things than we more than likely ever will be during training. I count myself lucky that I will only have to endure *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s and the odd head game.

12. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Venerated Contributor

Was talking to my mate again this weekend, he is in rehab at the moment. Been recovering from an operation as appendix burst over christmas. But he since recovered pretty much but picked up knee issues in rehab of all places. He said they are pretty brutal, and there's constant amounts of people getting md the main being lower leg fractures. He said there not getting enough lads through training or through PRAC at the moment. He is lucky to still be there I think, but he was gutted the other day as he had watch his troop he started with pass out.

13. dandylion

Been there - one of the worst feelings in my life I feel for him hope he gets out in one piece, that in itself will be an achievement!

14. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Yeah it's doen repetative high impact training, shin stress factors are the most common injury there. You see a good 5+ ''Joes'' on crutches a day. Loads of them about. Sympathy's to your friend though, injuries in training are bad enough but for it to be his appendix must be mortifying. Yes the last PRAC group I saw go through only one passed it, 2 had been injured during steeplechase, 1 chickened out of the trainaisum, a few failed the 1.5 mile run and the rest on the 4 mile familierisation run. Not all are that unfortunate though, 90% of my PRAC passed and the average pass rate is 50-60%.

15. westy

westy Venerated Contributor

Shon, out of curiosity, whats the trainasium like??

16. dandylion

High and fun!

17. Cian

Cian Valuable Contributor

Frig' sake lads you are making me feel like I'm *text deleted**text deleted** end up on crutches if I attempt Para depot and PRAC. ):

I'm going to ring a recruitment adviser soon and ask him to try get me onto Parachute Regiment Insight Course on the 29th while my medical gets sorted and hopefully soothe my careers adviser fears that I'm well up to the challenge, seeing as he thinks I'd be better in the Irish Guards or Royal Irish. :/

18. dandylion

There is nothing to be worried about at all if you've trained right it is fine, providing you put all your effort in and as far as the trainasium goes it's fun as long as you aren't fussy on heights and even if you are just have some self-confidence to get it done with (if you don't you're very likely to get injured)! The worst thing I did was an absolute *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* after the trainasium, we had to leopard crawl around the gravel a few times fast as possible I finished first and therefore had to be in the bridge the longest! You have to crawl underneath all the others in your platoon in the bridge position and then do it again. Was excellent despite the fact I picked up a costo-vertebral sprain on the trainasium! I did the parachute reg. insight course in 2008 (I feel old) it was a great motivator and a good way to benchmark your fitness for whatever you end up choosing so highly recommend it especially as it is free.

19. Shon.L.R

Shon.L.R Member

Hey mate, the trainasium is on the second day in the afternoon after the steeplechase (2miles around as a warm up followed by best effort). Group is split into 2 groups one takes on the illusion jump (roughly 15ft+ high) the others do the aerial assault course. Then swap. Not as bad as it sounds. Climb bout 30ft up, run (aggressively) across a seesaw plank, speed walk monkey bars, jump 3 smallish gaps, speed walk across elevated arched monkey bars, Then you have parallel bars where you lift yourself onto them and shuffle using your arms across, then you have a parallel shuffle (two bars you shuffle across with two large bolts in the middle meaning you have to raise your boots over then while maintaining balance), then there are two light cables you go on *text deleted* hands and knees on (feet tilted inward for grip) and pull yourself across, dismount then climb down a ladder where a PTI will throw a rope to you, you grab it and swing across (rotating as you do so) let go and land on a cargo net. END OFF :) . When you are in basic you'll do the superman jump and the 60ft p-bar shuffle too. The whole thing is quite similar to the marines Tarzan assault course from what I heard.

DeltsRE - PRAC not that hard *text deleted* honest mate, phys is a bit more demanding according to an ex ''nod'' that was in my platoon (got to week 26) than the PRMC but not as strict in regard to block jobs etc. He also said the phys in para depot was harder and more intense than in RM basic but the marines basic was hard in other ways.

I will be brutally honest with you mate and I'm sure your adviser will be too as mine was, getting through para reg basic without getting injured is all down to luck, physical robustness will give you an edge but passing out first try is luck. If you get hurt and are allowed to stay in, get rehab, get back-squadded and rock on with it.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

absolute *text deleted**text deleted**e!! So 40 recruits out of a hundred break their femurs!! How exactly??
    I went through Para Depot in 1985 serving 4 years in 3 Para and passing my APTI course.

An average starting platoon would be about 50 recruits and you are telling me 20 of those would break their femur!! hahaha...

Seroiusly any potential para recruit reading that, its a crock of *text deleted**text deleted**...dont listen to anyone who has failed the course...just listen to those who have passed