Transfer from RAF to RM

Sirius757

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice from a qualified source ref: transferring from RAF to Royal Marines. Spent 10 years in the RAF, aged 27, Cpl, Aircraft Technician. I've got the paperwork from my boss letting me off work to (hopefully) complete the All Arms Commando Course at the end of the year.

I've seen the process needed to transfer on previous threads and I would be looking at an 'in service' transfer. However, it would be much appreciated if I could get a couple of answers specific to my circumstances i.e. Would I take a pay cut from RAF Cpl Technician pay to RM recruit pay? Would me completing the AACC make any difference to the application and recruiting process?

Cheers in advance for the replies!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome.

It's difficult to second-guess the specific terms under which an 'in-service' transfer would be conducted. You'll get a letter from the RM requirements manager detailing the terms and conditions under which you would transfer, should you wish to proceed. You are at liberty not to accept but in general terms I'd anticipate a drop in pay whilst in Recruit Training with restoration, at least in part, of pay increment based on years served. It may well be better than that, but again it's not the call of the AFCO.

With regard AACC, I'm not aware of any routine concession unless your former related service experience is directly relevant - infantry training, SF etc.

Sirius757

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja_Stoker for the speedy reply!

The answers are what I was expecting but it is good to get them confirmed from a qualified source. With regards to the letter from the RM Requirements Manager; would I have to apply for transfer first to receive the letter or is there any way I could receive the letter first and decide from the contents if I would like to start the application process?

Thanks in advance!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As with all things in the Armed Forces, until it's in writing it's not official.

Your line manager could contact Captain Naval Recruiting in Portsmouth to make the enquiry on your behalf but it would only be a rough idea, much the same as my reply above.

If you submit an application, don't get the written terms for transfer you would wish, you can always withdraw the application with nothing lost.