Transfer from RMR Trained Ranks to regular RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

reacher89

Reaction score
I know last year it changed so that trained ranks in the RMR could seamlessly transfer to regular Royal Marines, is this still the case?

And if so what are the restrictions? Would one have to be below the maximum age limit to transfer (I’ll be 32 by the time I start RMR training)?

Is this only for enlisted ranks as well? What if I earnt a commission in the RMR, could I then transfer to regular RM as an officer?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hopefully someone with better insight will be along to give you the gen. As far as I’m aware you can transfer after being mobilised For a while, a mate of mine did it.

And I’m not sure about the commissioning but it’s very rare for RMR to pick up a Corps Commission I believe.

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
I know last year it changed so that trained ranks in the RMR could seamlessly transfer to regular Royal Marines, is this still the case?

And if so what are the restrictions? Would one have to be below the maximum age limit to transfer (I’ll be 32 by the time I start RMR training)?

Is this only for enlisted ranks as well? What if I earnt a commission in the RMR, could I then transfer to regular RM as an officer?
Why would you do reserve training then try and transfer to regular?
My personal opinion I hope that this isn't allowed. The RMR ranks I have worked with have been well below standard and lacking a lot of training. It is to be expected as they have not had as many hours put into them than regulars.

reacher89

Reaction score
My personal opinion I hope that this isn't allowed. The RMR ranks I have worked with have been well below standard and lacking a lot of training. It is to be expected as they have not had as many hours put into them than regulars.
To be honest I was only really thinking of this as a potential route into the regular services as an officer, as I’m too old to apply the traditional way.

Aerial

Reaction score
That is disappointing to hear as an RMR nod.

I can see why skill fade and relevancy would be more a problem with RMR ranks who have been in for a while. There should be nothing wrong with any RMR rank’s initial training since the criteria tests are all identical and to the same standard as regulars.

Maybe put them on a conversion course or retake the RFCC or AACC instead of an automatic transfer is a better option?

It’s a waste of time and money for all concerned to send a trained RMR rank all the way back to day one week one if they want to transfer, but standards need to be upheld.

Kingsman

Reaction score
That’s worrying; in what way we’re they below standard? Was it just initially and did they get up to speed quickly or not? Had they just passed out or were they in for quite a while?

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That’s worrying; in what way we’re they below standard? Was it just initially and did they get up to speed quickly or not? Had they just passed out or were they in for quite a while?
In my experience the RMR are not looked down on in distain. Despite the ribbing they have high standards for reservists and many have deployed and conducted themselves brilliantly. Are they the same as regulars? No. Will there be pi$$ taking if you get mobilised or do FTRS? Yes.
But then, assuming you are up to scratch, aren’t gobby you will settle in, do the job well and earn your spurs.
A reservist can not possibly reach and maintain the skill sets of a regular in all aspects of the role. A good Det will focus on key skills and try to minimise that gap. Some things you just can’t cover or replicate in routine reserve training, and you will really only get a handle on if mobilised.

Best of luck with training @Aerial keep at it.

Last edited:

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
It is important to bare in mind that regulars who arrive in unit also have to earn the respect of their peers. From passing of the square you fall pretty sharpish back to the bottom of the food chain.
The military is full of hierarchies and you shouldn’t be disheartened. It is designed that way for good reason.

In the Army the fact someone has completed basic training means quite little to those who have also met the minimum standards and subsequently built up skills and experience. It’s all part of the game. I imagine the Corps is much the same.

Head down, ears open and being a good egg with a thick skin won’t see you wrong.

Man of Steel

Reaction score
This seems quite worrying, although it's still early days for me and I am yet to complete my +VPJFT, we may all get the green lid in the same way (RMR Vs Regs) but where does the gap in skills and knowledge fall? Does it all bubble down to experience from deployment or is it the continuous training aspect?

I was going to ask what our options are through moving up through the ranks as a general duties rifleman? Is this something that can even be considered as a reservist?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
This seems quite worrying, although it's still early days for me and I am yet to complete my +VPJFT, we may all get the green lid in the same way (RMR Vs Regs) but where does the gap in skills and knowledge fall? Does it all bubble down to experience from deployment or is it the continuous training aspect?

I was going to ask what our options are through moving up through the ranks as a general duties rifleman? Is this something that can even be considered as a reservist?

I fear some are reading into this too much.

The reason for skill gaps between RMR and RM this is that it takes a great deal of time and training to be proficient at most military roles, a Royal Marines Commando definitely being one of them!

If being green is your hobby and you take time away from it, you will inevitably suffer skills fade and need more time in training ahead of an operation to be of any real use.
Arguably in this post HERRICK and FCF world the Reserve occupies a curious place in the structure, but that’s another discussion. End of the day, this isn’t something for you worry about. Focus on you. Do a good job, work hard, enjoy it and don’t cause your chain of command any issues. That’s what matters.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Skill fade is a reality regardless of Regular or Reserve service. Navigation is a prime example; the more you do it, the better you become. It can't just be learned from a book.

An article in The Globe & Laurel some years ago flagged up the suggestion that Regular ranks brush up on 'green skills' before Junior or Senior Command Courses particularly if their careers had previously had a more technical nature for a few years after RT.

It would be interesting to know if there are specific skills subject to fade which Reserve forces should be aware of.

Royal2010

Reaction score
1 case was out on field firing we had 2 RMR ranks attached to the troop for them to conduct their LFTT and they already wore green lids.
1 RMR lad to be fair was pretty good. He had a great attitude and listened, corrected his mistakes and gave it his all. The other one was lazy, unfit and had a shocking attitude. He also ended up losing a piece of kit which he lied about losing. It was frustrating to see reservists conduct himself in such a manner in front of our recruits to such a poor standard. I think he even tried 'sprogging' a few recruits off in the accom.

2nd case when I was a nod, again on field firing. Again a green lidded reservist attached for field firing. He struggled to put his rifle back together after cleaning it and lost the cocking handle. The troop Sgt immediately ejected him from LFTT.

There are a few other cases which I have seen personally and there are a good number incidents I have heard second hand. Alot of it down to attitude. Again, RMR ranks are still effectively "civvies". They haven't been institutionalised as we have and they are different socially and mentally and it leads to frustration.

I realise I should be probably be saying "RMR" are hoofin'. But I won't lie. Out of all the time I have worked with them only one of them seemed to be decent. Hit the dislike button as many times as you want. It won't changed what I've seen.

The reason for skill gaps between RMR and RM this is that it takes a great deal of time and training to be proficient at most military roles, a Royal Marines Commando definitely being one of them!
And it is exactly this. It takes years of FULLTIME work to achieve excellence at anything in life. Trying to become an elite amphibious soldier is no exception.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

The only route to Officer in the regular service beyond age 25 is Senior Corps Commission - usually SNCO/WO2/1. The role is G4 (support Admin Officer, Logs Officer, Adjutant, not Troop Commander).

RMR Officers Commissioned in the RMR are again G4 roles only, up to age 30. The best way to transfer as a trained Officer or Other Rank is via Full Time Reserve Service on a 12-24 month contract with the option to transfer to regular service.

The issue for reservists tends to be "currency" and skill-fade is the reason Reservists usually joined a deploying unit roughly three months before deployed so they could bring themselves up to speed with their green skills.

As to whether Reservists are readily "accepted" within a unit, it's all down to the individual, their professionalism & humility.

The thing to remember is the green beret is to reflect the criteria elements of training were satisfactorily met at the end of their initial training package - Nothing More, nothing less.

Anyone "giving it large", regular or reserve, officer of other rank in a Commando unit will pretty soon find out that there's always someone bigger, better, more experienced & infinitely wiser who is only too willing to rebrief anyone who mistakenly believes their training is completed.

Chelonian

Reaction score
What I take away from the comments by @Royal2010 is that 'skill fade' is arguably sometimes less of a problem than poor attitude.

I'm baffled why a RMR det would send Trained Ranks to somewhere like CTCRM to work alongside Recruits unless they were exemplary in attitude at the very least.

Royal2010

Reaction score
What I take away from the comments by @Royal2010 is that 'skill fade' is arguably sometimes less of a problem than poor attitude.

I'm baffled why a RMR det would send Trained Ranks to somewhere like CTCRM to work alongside Recruits unless they were exemplary in attitude at the very least.
Absolutely. Since being in an instructor role around a couple of units I find that all good work stems from simply having a good attitude. I think its probably one of the most important yet most overlooked aspect that every recruit, marine, cpl and above should have in order to achieve a high level of success.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Hit the dislike button as many times as you want. It won't changed what I've seen.

And it is exactly this. It takes years of FULLTIME work to achieve excellence at anything in life. Trying to become an elite amphibious soldier is no exception.
No dislike from me @Royal2010! You've hit the nail on the head!

Just because someone wears a lid that identifies them as being "elite" meant Jack Shite to me. It's "can they do the task, or if they can't, are they willing to learn", is the mantra.

I have mentioned the 1980s documentary, about ML training, "Behind The Lines" before, which in my mind is one of the best military documentaries ever recorded. Early on in the series there was a badged Australian SAS on the course. Within a very short space of time he had been binned and was on a flight back to Oz.

Says it all really.

Alan

Last edited:

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's "can they do the task, or if they can't, are they willing to learn", is the mantra.
Agreed. An RMR Trained Rank rocking up at CTCRM with a deficit of skills isn't really the problem. If he had spoken with the TT and explained he wasn't current because he didn't get the opportunity to remain up to speed with some skills I'll wager that his honesty would have been respected; his circumstances understood and that he would have returned to his det with those skills sharpened. An integrity issue such as lying about a missing part is inexcusable, embarrassing and reflects badly on everyone.

Man of Steel

Reaction score
1 case was out on field firing we had 2 RMR ranks attached to the troop for them to conduct their LFTT and they already wore green lids.
1 RMR lad to be fair was pretty good. He had a great attitude and listened, corrected his mistakes and gave it his all. The other one was lazy, unfit and had a shocking attitude. He also ended up losing a piece of kit which he lied about losing. It was frustrating to see reservists conduct himself in such a manner in front of our recruits to such a poor standard. I think he even tried 'sprogging' a few recruits off in the accom.

2nd case when I was a nod, again on field firing. Again a green lidded reservist attached for field firing. He struggled to put his rifle back together after cleaning it and lost the cocking handle. The troop Sgt immediately ejected him from LFTT.

There are a few other cases which I have seen personally and there are a good number incidents I have heard second hand. Alot of it down to attitude. Again, RMR ranks are still effectively "civvies". They haven't been institutionalised as we have and they are different socially and mentally and it leads to frustration.

I realise I should be probably be saying "RMR" are hoofin'. But I won't lie. Out of all the time I have worked with them only one of them seemed to be decent. Hit the dislike button as many times as you want. It won't changed what I've seen.

These RMR failings have given me even more motivation to change your opinion! If I ever stand before you at CTCRM maybe one day you'll change your opinion to "Out of all the time I have worked with them only two of them seemed to be decent." A man can dream right?

Royal2010

Reaction score
These RMR failings have given me even more motivation to change your opinion! If I ever stand before you at CTCRM maybe one day you'll change your opinion to "Out of all the time I have worked with them only two of them seemed to be decent." A man can dream right?
And THAT. Is the correct attitude to have. Although I give a big sigh when I find out were working with RMR I always judge everyone on what they do before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.