Transfer from RMR Trained Ranks to regular RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I’d still buy him a beer I’m sure, I just don’t buy into any “don’t call me mate” nonsense.

@Royal2010 is clearly identified as a CTW instructor. As far as I am aware one of the mods labelled him as such for clarity. No evidence of any "ego trips" here; only a difference of opinion on a thread topic.

The majority of forum users here are aspiring Recruits many of whom will, in coming months, begin ROP and Recruit Training. The "Don't call me mate" signature seems sensible to me in the circumstances.

As an aside, the forum once had an informative post from a Lt Col RM who had previously chaired the King's Badge board at CTCRM. The response "Cheers ears!" from one young forum user passed without comment. :)

B

Blackers

God, I feel like we are doing this to death. Look at posts #6 and #9. Then look at post #19 and #28.

That is where my point was directed. I merely pointed out that @Royal2010 is not an authoritative voice on RMR training and standards. Sorry that is so controversial.
By his own admission he has had very limited exposure to reserves. @Bootra on the other hand has served as a regular attached to RMR for over ten years. All I’m doing is encouraging the naive posters to redirect their gaze towards someone with more evidence and experience. That’s it.

D

Deleted member 20902

I know @Royal2010 personally and as he has been part of CTW for the past 2yrs passing various troops out of training and will do in the near future. The fact he has been at CTC during this time indicates that he has been having the briefs by the top brass regarding everything including the training and structure of the RMR, FCF etc.

If you want to disregard his input then that’s your own choice, seems like you don’t want to hear the bad things only the good.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
This thread has drifted away from the OP request for information on transferring from the Reserves to the Regular RMs and despite a request by @Johnny_Anonie to not get too personal, it has continued and so unless things calm down, it's going to be locked.
Alan

Last edited:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m not getting chopsy. Hopefully we are all big boys here and a few opinions won’t hurt any feelings. I respect the lad and he’s an asset to the regular hopefuls on here. I’ve just as many medals as him and have been round the block. I’ve oppos who lost legs and I’ve pallbearered for one too. A young lad who died prior to mert landing.So I’m sure he gets where I’m coming from and knows I mean no malice. I’d still buy him a beer I’m sure, I just don’t buy into any “don’t call me mate” nonsense.
As far as I am concerned, as @Bootra has alluded to any RMR mobilised or on FTRS will fill gaps in the regular manning structure and will be expected to do the job as well as any reg. They are, effectively, temporary regulars on ops.
I don’t buy into this notion of his that as a reg they are automatically superior to a reservist. Typing the word full time in capitals means nothing. As any of the reg lads here will attest the truth is most regs sit around for 3-and-two-halves day week fiddling on DII while drinking a lot of brews or playing X-Box in their grot, and get paid a seven-day salary for it. People of quality exist in the regs and reserves as do belters. Tarring with one brush is ridiculous, especially after only having two bad experiences. I’m also aware I’m fan girling @Bootra a tad but as he’s spent a decade training RMR I’m sorry but I’m going to back his gen.

Cheers dit’s, we’ve all done stuff, yea?

I was more competent as a regular, had more continuous training and more opportunities. The most I’ve got out of RMR is how to handle a minibus driving the Nods about.

Naturally regulars will be more competent and better trained than any RMR rank.
Mainly because of the timeframes, the lack of decent kit, (those SUSATs are hoofing....) and the nature of RMR and regulars.

Regular lads time management depends on their productivity, discipline, motivations, aspirations and chain of command. A bit more than “fiddling on DII and playing Xbox”.

Last edited:
B

Blackers

@ThreadpigeonsAlpha A long winded way of saying how not bothered you are, fella. Lads I’m not up for an Internet hard man contest. Decent points made by all and I’m out. Best of luck @ManofSteel with your dream.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@ThreadpigeonsAlpha A long winded way of saying how not bothered you are, fella. Lads I’m not up for an Internet hard man contest. Decent points made by all and I’m out. Best of luck @ManofSteel with your dream.

This isn’t about “internet hard man contest”.

The fact of the matter is, due to The nature of RMR the levels of training and competency are less than those who are in the regulars. That’s not an insult to RMR who can only who *text deleted* with the cock they have got, It’s just the hand they are dealt.

That’s from someone who has served in the both regulars and the reserves. And the RMR at the moment has low morale, I know a lot of blokes threaders with it, who are leaving, left or transferring for various reasons.

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
@Blackers

Firstly I would like to say, I do not come onto this forum to massage any ego. I have better things to do.
The reason why I have "Don't call me mate" in my signature is I repeatedly get potential recruits sending me messages starting with "Hi mate...." I am not your mate and all on this forum make it down to CTCRM WILL come across me at some point. I set the tone to be purely formal. Nobody will be calling anybody mate until they have a green lid on their head.

2. If my personal experiences of what I have seen with my own eyes has made you "vomit" so be it. I can't control your feelings. I mentioned 2 actual stories that I've seen but almost every bloke I know in the corps has a story or two about working with reserves and they're usually negative experiences. I'm not tarring all with the same brush. I even mentioned another RMR rank who was pretty good and impressed so please don't put words into my mouth. They're are also absolute 'belters' in full time so like someone said earlier there is good and bad in both.

3. The point I was trying to originally make is that if you want to join an ELITE force then you should be really wanting to do it full time. I know peoples situations vary but as a young man who wants to be the best, why would you do something part-time? I get some blokes have different commitments in life but as a young lad wanting to join what is arguably the best and elitist military outfit you can join from civvy street then you should be doing it full time. This doesn't mean every single RM is "automatically superior" and I have not said that at any point so again, please don't put words into my mouth. However, you can not ignore the fact that on average if someone has done a job every single day for many years he will be much better than a person, with the same mindset and determination but has only done it every weekend for the same amount of years.

I was more competent as a regular, had more continuous training and more opportunities. The most I’ve got out of RMR is how to handle a minibus driving the Nods about.
Threadpigeons confirms my point here exactly here. If this is getting you upset then log off the forum. Things aren't being said to upset you just merely stating facts and experiences. There's no need for petulant remarks about me trying to 'big time' it. ( Although I do own several leather-bound books)

4. I am not saying all reserve forces are rubbish or slagging anyone off. They offer a vital part towards the military and do a damn good job balancing two different lives and making the most of the opportunities they have got.

Last edited:
B

Blackers

@Blackers

Firstly I would like to say, I do not come onto this forum to massage any ego. I have better things to do.
The reason why I have "Don't call me mate" in my signature is I repeatedly get potential recruits sending me messages starting with "Hi mate...." I am not your mate and all on this forum make it down to CTCRM WILL come across me at some point. I set the tone to be purely formal. Nobody will be calling anybody mate until they have a green lid on their head.

2. If my personal experiences of what I have seen with my own eyes has made you "vomit" so be it. I can't control your feelings. I mentioned 2 actual stories that I've seen but almost every bloke I know in the corps has a story or two about working with reserves and they're usually negative experiences. I'm not tarring all with the same brush. I even mentioned another RMR rank who was pretty good and impressed so please don't put words into my mouth. They're are also absolute 'belters' in full time so like someone said earlier there is good and bad in both.

3. The point I was trying to originally make is that if you want to join an ELITE force then you should be really wanting to do it full time. I know peoples situations vary but as a young man who wants to be the best, why would you do something part-time? I get some blokes have different commitments in life but as a young lad wanting to join what is arguably the best and elitist military outfit you can join from civvy street then you should be doing it full time. This doesn't mean every single RM is "automatically superior" and I have not said that at any point so again, please don't put words into my mouth. However, you can not ignore the fact that on average if someone has done a job every single day for many years he will be much better than a person, with the same mindset and determination but has only done it every weekend for the same amount of years.

Threadpigeons confirms my point here exactly here. If this is getting you upset then log off the forum. Things aren't being said to upset you just merely stating facts and experiences. There's no need for petulant remarks about me trying to 'big time' it. ( Although I do own several leather-bound books)

4. I am not saying all reserve forces are rubbish or slagging anyone off. They offer a vital part towards the military and do a damn good job balancing two different lives and making the most of the opportunities they have got.

Fair play. Excellent reply and understood.

Just to clarify, although a minor point, my vomit comment wasn’t to do with you. It was directed towards @Man of Steel and his cheesy post. But, fair play. Good post. Neck wound in.

Status
Not open for further replies.