Transfer?

LUFC1999

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is very early days, but i'm curious because after joining the Royal Navy, I have other aspirations, I believe it has to do with me finding out a lot more about the Royal Marines ever since joining the RN. I'm coming up to a year in the RN and only a couple of weeks from passing out of my branch training.

So here comes the question, Would it be possible to transfer from the Royal Navy to the Royal marines as in, go from an able rating to joining as a recruit in the Royal Marines. I haven't made a decision yet but i'm curious because I believe that it is something i definitely want to do, i'm still early days which is why i'm trying to not make a decision yet.

All answers are much appreciated,

Thanks a lot.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I believe that the RN will require a Return of Service on your chosen branch in the RN, but I believe it is possible. However, my understanding is that you will have to pass all elements, such as PJFT and PRMC before entering as a recruit.

The main question is, would you be happy to start at the bottom again? Why did you not join as a Marine right at the start?

@Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Good luck

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Caversham is spot-on. The short answer is Yes.

The opportunity to transfer first occurs at the PSO interview during Initial Naval Training at HMS Raleigh, thereafter the cost of phase two training usually requires a thirty month return of service. The service isn't too keen on training you, giving qualifications and then letting you walk away without doing the job.

To transfer to the RN, you can start the process after you complete any "on job training" elements, after completing phase two. That could be just completion of a task book or it could also mean phase 3 training.

As ever, we advise applicants to choose their branch at the time of applying, particularly for those aiming to join the Royal Marines because a transfer is a high risk avenue.

The level of the RN physical training during Initial Naval Training up to pass-out doesn't reach the RM physical entry level, despite the fact you'll be fitter than when you joined and with about a 50% attrition rate through RM Recruit Training, there's a very real risk of making oneself unemployed.

A return to the source branch upon failure is seldom a viable option. Reason? Usually injury, you cannot transfer branches when injured, but also because the RN will back-fill your gapped billet. The only advantage an RN applicant has over their civilian peers is possibly they are a little older and more familiar with independent living and personal admin. Phys-wise, no difference except, as a serving member of the RN you have excellent training facilities, effectively free gym membership.

In short, yes it's possible and a good number manage to successfully transfer but this far into RN training, it's a bit like tightrope-walking without a safety net.

Although you can apply via your Divisional Officer within the return of service period, most branch managers will not permit transfer into day one, week one RM Recruit Training until the Return of Service is completed.

Good luck.

LUFC1999

Reaction score
@Caversham is spot-on. The short answer is Yes.

The opportunity to transfer first occurs at the PSO interview during Initial Naval Training at HMS Raleigh, thereafter the cost of phase two training usually requires a thirty month return of service. The service isn't too keen on training you, giving qualifications and then letting you walk away without doing the job.

To transfer to the RN, you can start the process after you complete any "on job training" elements, after completing phase two. That could be just completion of a task book or it could also mean phase 3 training.

As ever, we advise applicants to choose their branch at the time of applying, particularly for those aiming to join the Royal Marines because a transfer is a high risk avenue.

The level of the RN physical training during Initial Naval Training up to pass-out doesn't reach the RM physical entry level, despite the fact you'll be fitter than when you joined and with about a 50% attrition rate through RM Recruit Training, there's a very real risk of making oneself unemployed.

A return to the source branch upon failure is seldom a viable option. Reason? Usually injury, you cannot transfer branches when injured, but also because the RN will back-fill your gapped billet. The only advantage an RN applicant has over their civilian peers is possibly they are a little older and more familiar with independent living and personal admin. Phys-wise, no difference except, as a serving member of the RN you have excellent training facilities, effectively free gym membership.

In short, yes it's possible and a good number manage to successfully transfer but this far into RN training, it's a bit like tightrope-walking without a safety net.

Although you can apply via your Divisional Officer within the return of service period, most branch managers will not permit transfer into day one, week one RM Recruit Training until the Return of Service is completed.

Good luck.
Thanks for much needed information. I think it's best if I hang tight and maybe wait a couple years. I've been training very hard ever since I joined and my fitness level is good, but I still have time because of my youth so maybe transferring at 21 in 3 years time could be a possibility I don't know. I'll just take it as it goes and maybe speak to the marine warrant on base?

Thank you again for helping guys.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for much needed information. I think it's best if I hang tight and maybe wait a couple years. I've been training very hard ever since I joined and my fitness level is good, but I still have time because of my youth so maybe transferring at 21 in 3 years time could be a possibility I don't know. I'll just take it as it goes and maybe speak to the marine warrant on base?

Thank you again for helping guys.
To be honest, there's not much more to it. Unless the WO2/WO1 is a careers adviser, he can certainly telly you.about being a Royal Marine but is unlikely to be able to guide you through the mechanism to transfer - that's your DO's job at the time.