Transfering

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone give me any information on transferring to the regulars?

Say that I joined RMR and achieved my green beret and a degree, would it be possible to apply for a commission with the regulars and undertake the YO training after I had finished the degree?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yes, it's entirely feasible.

It's not unheard of for trained RMR OR's to serve on Full time Reserve Service (FTRS) Contracts with a regular Commando unit, then transfer into regular service.

If you're under 26 in regular service, you can apply to apply for a Corps Commission, undergo POC & AIB & if successful, become an Officer.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Would you have undertake the full 14 months course or just the officer training portion of it?

Also, are the joining requirements the same (A level/UCAS points)? And is it advisable to the join the RMR, gain some experience i.e deployment then proceed to the Officer training considering I would have a degree (theoretically)?

Thanks for the help.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
According to two of the lads from my unit, they are going to have to go through the full training again at lympstone, as YO's although they will be wearing their green beret's throughout as they have already earnt them.

The A-Level/Ucas points are the same,. unless you are going for a corps commision ( apparently) but as always, Ninja will fully confirm.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to confirm what Dodger has stated & to clarify, if going for Officer you will always need a minimum of 5 GCSE's including maths & English at A*-C. The only time you do not need the A Levels or UCAS points is if you are already serving in whichever service (Regular or Reserves) and wish to apply for a Corps Commission/Senior Corps Commission in that arm of the service.

ie: You cannot apply to be a regular RM Officer by the Corps Commission route if you are a Reservist & vice-versa, you would need the A Levels and 180 UCAS points.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Graduate entrants get more pay. I wouldn't solely depend on the RMR for life experience either ( I know I am not) as for a minimum time, i don't believe there is one, you can leave anytime apart from deployment.

I doubt the training team would make it harder for you, there would probably be an element of respect there, due to the fact your doing the course for the second time, knowing how hard it is and going back for more.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, uni is about independence, making friends, as well as being social and learning. I am doing both RMR and Uni, along with that I am going for an organisational role in my rugby club next season and as of June, doing 3 months in Australia, just exploring and doing stuff out there. I am hoping to organise a few events for the rugby team next year, just to show abit of leadership, and I am sure I will get involved in more before the end of Uni.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are loads of us that are, and plenty from my uni that passed out whilst doing their degree. If you get down to the afco they will confirm fella, you cant be in Compulsory full time education, but we have got lads from college and from uni in our holding troop, all to be starting in september.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As Dodger says, it's a bit confusing on the official RMR eligibility section with regard full time education, but as long as you have finished GCSE's in year 11 you're OK.

Hopefully the official site will clarify the issues with regard age limits, nationality & residency issues in due course, once we've spoken with the webmaster.