Transferring from the Canadian Armed Forces to the Royal Marines

WilliamSteele

Reaction score
How possible is it to transfer from the Canadians into the RM? I realise I'd have to go through CTC again. I am looking at attending the Royal Military College in Canda to get a BEng (in case I go back to civilian life), and then transferring into the RM. Is this possible?

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the policy is for transferring from another countries armed forces, but your age puts you outside the eligibility for the Royal Marines. My guess is that regardless, you will have to complete the 32 weeks of recruit training, for which the cut off age is 32. I'm sure one of the CAs will be along to give you the full gen on this.

Alan

WilliamSteele

Reaction score
Fear nought, that is not my actual age, and I am still within the allowed age range.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
If I'm being honest dude, of you're at that stage where you're looking to get a degree through your own military, to jump ship and hope you can make it as a bootneck is probably not in your best interest, given the pay drop you'd suffer for a considerable amount of time.

Were the situation different, then maybe but it's a lot to give up for a bit of green cloth.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bottom line, as pointed out above, a person with former military service wishing to join the Royal Marines, will still have to complete selection and begin RM Commando Recruit Training, day one, week one on the new entry rate of pay.

Partial pay-seniority maybe awarded dependent on relevant experience, usually on completion of training. The RM branch manager calls the shots on this element.

Suffice to say, plenty of RM Other Ranks join as graduates - there's usually two or more in each recruit troop.

With regard 'transfering' from a Commonwealth Armed Force, in all cases I've come across, the individual has to leave one to join the other as they are separate entities but the process may seem like a transfer because the person sometimes only joins one service a matter of days after leaving the other...if their current host unit permits them to complete RM selection whilst technically still serving in the overseas unit.