Transferring, Rejoining or Joining with Former Military Service

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

This thread has been updated (January 2017) to incorporate latest changes to the procedure for rejoining the Corps or transferring with former military service.

To process your application you must first provide all former service discharge documentation including that listed below, the onus is on you to provide them at your earliest opportunity.

1. Discharge Certificate (If issued) &/or Certificate of Service.

2. Last Performance Appraisal Report.

This must indicate whether you are recommended further service.(If the report states you are not recommended for further service then we can not process your application, if it says after *text deleted* months, you must wait for that time to elapse before you may re-apply)

3. Your last service pay statement. This ensures you get paid for your service seniority, providing you completed training & have not been "outside" for more than 12 months.

Unless you are rejoining the Corps as a trained re-entrant, you will join on the New Entry rate of pay. Once trained you maybe awarded some seniority for former trained service.

4. Passport (You must have a valid one as a condition of entry into the service)

5. NHS Number (10 digits- available from your GP)

6. NI Number

7. Birth Certificate

8. Red Book- ARMY (if issued)

9. Testimonial (if issued) - Royal Marines

10. If Medically Discharged - all medical discharge documents.

When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

a) Your former service records.

b) Your former service medical records.

The AFCO can not accept application forms without first taking copies of the above documentation.

Currently there are record numbers of applicants wishing to rejoin the services.

When discharged, individuals are advised that duplicate discharge certificates cannot be issued & that re-entry is conditional upon production of these documents.

Experience reveals that a disproportionate amount of discharge documents, reaching comedic numbers, appear to befall untold calamities. It is indeed amazing that dog food manufacturers are still in business given that the canine staple diet seemingly involves service documents.

Very often when people leave the service they have no intention of rejoining & some individuals get rid of the documents because they indicate a less than favourable employment reference.

Those that wish to request evidence of former service may submit a Subject Access Request via the Ministry of Defence however they may be charged for this & it will inevitably take some time.

Be aware incorrect or incomplete forms will further delay your application significantly.

Those with former service unable to provide former pay statements should visit; https://www.defencegateway.mod.uk/

The AFCO will then apply for your former records. (Typically this takes about 3-4 weeks for former RN/RM & RAF applicants, former ARMY applicants is approx 8-12 weeks). On receipt the AFCO will then apply for permission to process your application- this takes a further 3-4 weeks & is granted by the Royal Marines Branch Manager. Providing you are considered a viable candidate for re-entry, the AFCO can then proceed with your application.

If you are a Trained RM Commando re-entry, you have to be interviewed, pass medical, PJFT & have your Security Clearance renewed before the AFCO can apply for permission for you to re-enter service. Your Branch Manager will advise what additional training you must undergo upon re-joining, subject to when you left the service.

For all others: Your Royal Navy Recruiting Test (RT) has to have been passed within the last three years, and have scored high enough for the Royal Marine Commandos.

ALL former RAF & ARMY candidates, together with RN/RM applicants who have underscored or are out of date will be required to sit the RT. If you score high enough, you will be interviewed & if found suitable you will be medically examined & if you are passed fit for service you will undergo the pre-joining fitness test.

If you pass all of that the AFCO will then re-apply for security clearance, which takes about 6-8 weeks.

After being granted security clearance the AFCO then apply for permission for you to re-enter the service.

You should be aware that the waiting time to enter the service can vary from month to month and is subject to variance because of the limited amount of training places available and the number of applicants at any given time.

There are several things you should also take in to consideration when re-joining the Service, but two major considerations are as follows:

1. You will be required to undergo phase one training at CTC Lympstone if you are a former RN/RAF/ARMY applicant or did not complete phase one training to an adequate standard previously.

2. You will re-join the service on the AFPS 05 pension scheme regardless of which scheme you left on - this is significantly different to the earlier AFPS 75 scheme and you would be strongly advised to investigate further how this will affect you.

The thing to remember is that re-entry is by no means guaranteed & your former record of service is a key factor in your being permitted to re-enter.

Following several queries from trained RM Commandos, considering re-joining:

RM TRAINED RE-ENTRIES ONLY

Trained RM re-entries (and RMR ranks on transfer to Full Career) will be allocated to enter CTCRM.

Candidates cannot make an application for a Married Quarter until they have successfully completed the re-training programme.

Trained re-entries may use their own transport. Overnight accommodation is available for those arriving PM on the previous day.

Normal night and weekend leave may be granted whilst at CTCRM.

CTCRM will process Trained re-entries and draft them to the trained strength, normally, within the first month of joining CTCRM. However, they will be required to pass all elements of the Training Assessment listed below within four weeks of arrival at CTCRM.

They will undertake Initial Training Assessment and complete Enlistment/Joining Brief/Documentation. Depending on the initial training assessment, individuals will be administered by the Central Training Team Staff and complete the following criteria checks:

1. Interview and Training assessment.

2. Medical and Dental Checks. Kit Issue.

3. Complete all Weapon Tests and Weapon training revision.

4. Pass Basic Fitness Test and basic Swimming Tests.

5. Complete fieldcraft and other revision.

6. Complete CBRN theory and practical and annual CBRN tests.

7. Written military skills and knowledge tests.

8. Formal interview with Commanding Officer

On successful completion of applicable tests, Trained re-entries will then be drafted.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Gallags11

Gallags11 New Member

Hi, Ninja, Rejoining and my Documents got sent down to Portsmouth around the 1st November. Is that the Royal Marines Branch Manager. And if so how long is the wait from that. Thanks

3. Ninja_Stoker

If you left the Corps within 12 months, or on medical grounds, your med docs will be checked first by the medical officer, then the branch manager will make the approval decision & state which conditions apply upon rejoining, if approved.

Allow 4 - 6 weeks for a decision & notification.

4. Ex_Sapper

Ex_Sapper New Member

Hey Ninja

I was MD from the army last December but was not given proper discharge papers, just a copy it says but i have my certificate of service and testimonial (gleaming) is this sufficient as i don't want to pay for another certificate i was never given in the first place, doesn't seem right.

I was downgraded due to a knee injury and had key hole surgery but no damage was found apart from general wear and tear which was in November 2009 and because i was downgraded for over 80 days i was discharged but told i could re apply after 6 months, but never did.

Stopped smoking for four months now, became fitter than ever running 1.5m in 8:30 without struggling and now run over 15 miles a week plus circuit training everyday and swimming on a Saturday.

I know your are a CA and i just wanted to know is it worth me going into the AFCO to apply or is it a no no for me because of my previous problems with being MD?

Thanks for your time and sorry if I've posted in the wrong section. (I'm new to this stuff)

5. Ninja_Stoker

There's certainly nothing stopping you submitting an application as long as you are in possession of all issued discharge documents (Army do not get issued a discharge certificate anymore, but you should have your Certificate of Service).

Obviously, once we apply for your former service medical records, they will go to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) to establish the nature of the condition resulting in discharge & to determine whether the condition itself permits or precludes further service.

To put things in perspective & hopefully give a realistic expectation, it would be best to remain open-minded whilst being aware that a history of knee injury can be "iffy", particularly when it comes to joining the Royal Marines due to the nature of the job. The Doc won't knock you back just because it's the easy option, but there are certain conditions that are unfortunately an outright bar with no room to manoeuvre.

Best of luck.

6. Ex_Sapper

Ex_Sapper New Member

Oh right that explains it then, i thought they fobbed me off haha. cheers for the heads up i'll bear that in mind ninja.

I might just get the ball rolling now then to avoid wasting time if I do get knocked back on my medical. I dont suppose you happen to know what the waiting time and procedure would be for someone like myself then?

Cheers for your help.

7. Ninja_Stoker

The routine will be pretty much the same as that outlined above but you'll need the nod medically before you get the go-ahead by the branch requirements manager.

Most rejoins can expect to add up to two months to the standard selection process, I'd give a conservative guess it may take up to an extra month on top.

8. Ex_Sapper

Ex_Sapper New Member

Cheers for that, at least I know what to expect now.

Thanks again

9. Grimm894

Grimm894 New Member

I'm still currently serving within the army and *text deleted** been seriously considering a transfer to the RM, what would the procedure be with that? will it be a case of signing off from the army and going in to a careers office or is there anyway doing it within the service?
    my apologies if there has been a post like this and advice would greatly be appreciated

10. Ex_Sapper

Ex_Sapper New Member

Wouldn't you need to speak to your RCMO about this?? I'm not too sure but ninja could clarify this for you.

11. Grimm894

Grimm894 New Member

I know i've got to chat to him about it first but I'm just wondering about what would happen next kind of thing, so i know what i've to expect

12. George111

George111 New Member

I was a member of Bristol University Officers' Training Corps for the three years I spent at university which I am assuming counts as previous military service. I spoke to the admin staff there about getting hold of my service documents/discharge papers and they said that all my paperwork has now been sent away and put into storage. They said they usually provided a termination of service certificate for those applying to join the regular forces. This certificate details my service number, date of enlistment, date of termination, reason for termination and a few other details. I just wanted that this was sufficient to cover my membership with a UOTC?

Thanks for your help.

13. Ninja_Stoker

OTC, URNU & UAS are list 7 reserves (not liable for mobilisation) so all that's required is evidence of your start/finish dates & evidence of your service number (pay statement of similar).

14. Connor!

Connor! New Member

This isnt really rejoining but.. I have done my recruit test for the RN as I was going for an warfare officer.. I just missed out on that officer Mark anyway can I use the result from that to go into the royal marines as a commando ( if i got enough points on hat test) or will I have to resit the test anyway?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Correct, an initial recruiting test fail doesn't count as rejoining the Armed Forces.

The RN Recruiting Test remains valid for all branches for 3 years providing the specific branch score is reached.

In other words, yes,it can be used for a different job, but...

Pilot & Royal Marine are very different jobs. Whilst there are RM aircrew & there are RN pilots with a green beret, there are many aspirants that are very much mistaken in considering the Royal Marines as a second job choice as they wholly underestimate the physical demands or their intended career goal.

Both jobs demand high levels of commitment and determination, so giving-up at the first hurdle is perhaps demonstrating a shortfall in either.

Unless age is an issue, it would be wiser to re-sit the Recruiting Test for RN Aircrew Officer, your first preference, because it will quite possibly take a similar length of time to achieve and pass selection for Royal Marine & enter service.

Best of luck.

16. Connor!

Connor! New Member

I know what you mean but, I have thought long and hard and RM is the one for me, and the physical side doesn't phase me I know it's very demanding but I'm up to the challenge. Thanks for the top advice!

17. BritishIndependence

BritishIndependence New Member

I applied for the Marines yesterday after sometime thinking about it.

I had my previous service docs with me, to the delight of the Navy recruiter, who made a letter to send off to the Army to release my medical documents, and to get permission to process my application.

Now, this is what I don't understand. The recruiter said that this, because the Army are horrendously slow at releasing documents, could take several months to happen. How long are we talking though?

She then went on to say that it may transpire that "they" (whoever "they" may be) may turn arond and reject something or other and tell me to reapply in 12 months.

Essentially, what I'd like to know is, how long will it take for my application to start being processed?

x

18. Ninja_Stoker

Eh?

Post one of this thread gives a rough idea - basically re-joiners can expect an extra 2-3 months with regard processing timescales.

Basically the Army Personnel Centre at Kentigern House in Glasgow hold your former service records.

Last year it could take up to 5 months to obtain former Army records, more recently it's nearer 6-8 weeks.

If after 6 or more weeks the documents haven't been located and sent to your AFCO, you can give them a ring if you like: 0845 600 9663

After the AFCO receive your records, we apply for permission to process, which takes about 4-6 weeks. If we get the 'green light', subject to manning requirements & Army record, process times are the same as all other applicants

19. BritishIndependence

BritishIndependence New Member

Ha! Apologies, I generally dish kisses out...

So, with this permission to process, who decides if you get the green light? The Army? Or the Navy? Would there be any reason I wouldn't get the green light to proceed?

Thanks

20. Ninja_Stoker

No problem, I'm a sailor anyway :laugh:

The RN/RM grants permission based on your Army record.

Main reasons for knock-back are medical or disciplnary issues. Occasionally people are knocked-back because of unspent criminal convictions or poor credit record.