Transferring, Rejoining or Joining with Former Military Service

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Ours is not to reason why, ours is but do or die.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

When people are leaving, the last thing on their mind is the prospect of ever wanting to re-join and because of this, many will cite all the negative aspects of the service in their own minds-eye, to inwardly justify their reasons for leaving.

Very often, in their haste to leave, people will inadvertantly close doors behind them to accelerate their departure whilst not envisaging the day that, actually, in retrospect, it maybe wasn't all bad.

This in no way criticises those that elect to leave, as their contract specifically allows this option. But, for those that want out and then change their mind, the service tends to need convincing their investment thus far will not be wasted a second time, particularly when manning is at an optimal level.

For all its faults, the service hasn't changed in its requirements, the individual has changed their requirements.

The Corps, not so long ago, dictated the shortage category branch in which a trained rank would be permitted to rejoin. I processed guys who were previously SFSG, aspiring to become UKSF upon re-entry, and their option? Join as a K3 for two years. (Chef is no longer an RM TQ/SQ).

My bright idea? Every trained rank should automatically be transfered seamlessly into the RMR with a twelve month option to be discharged and sever all ties. All they need do is deliberately opt out, with no chance of subsequent re-entry.

Doubtless things will go full circle, but for now it's RMR, with the FTRS option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Yup,can see and understand that side of the coin as well.

4. Duffman88

Duffman88 New Member

So i know the official answer to this question but I'm wondering if there's any way round it. I joined in 2013 and left 6 weeks later for terrible reasons (hindsights a b*text deleted**h). I was told i would not be recommended for futher service because of my reasonse for leaving but can this be appealed at all? Or is it tough luck.

5. Ninja_Stoker

It depends what the 'wastage return', written by the PSO actually states. It's relatively rare to get a "no return" and usually it's because there were significant disciplinary/attitude issues at the time of departure.

If you apply and the answer comes back "no" then an appeal will come back "still no", no matter the case for appeal.

The only way you'll find out for sure is by submitting an online application and seeing what the RM branch manager says upon the request for approval to process.

In my experience those not recommended further service are usually so hellbent on leaving that they intensely dislike the Corps and all it stands for and make it abundantly clear they would rather eat their own kidneys than rejoin.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Duffman88

Duffman88 New Member

Thanks for that info. Glimmer of hope i guess. Would going to visit afco be of any further help?

7. Ninja_Stoker

To speed things up & get a definitive response I'd advise you apply online on the RN website this weekend, dig out your discharge documentation, give it a couple of days , then call in to your AFCO with your discharge docs, passport, birth certificate, etc., so they can take copies & ask to sign the consent for the release of your med docs. Your AFCO will then have all the info they require to process the application and seek approval. Be aware a response can take a couple of months.

8. 22012016

22012016 Member

@Ninja,
    I left recruit training at week 14 back in 2013, and since January last year have been back in the application process. I passed my PRMC in October and received SC in December but my last hurdle seems to be ''approval to reenter service''. From your experience in dealing with rejoins have you any idea how long this usually takes or is it the standard how long is a piece of strong approach. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Call your AFCO.

SC can take a while, particularly for overseas & Irish applicants but Approval to Enter is usually a formality. Once you have SC, an entry date can be allocated at the same time as they are awaiting formal approval to enter.

• Seen Seen x 1
  10. 22012016

22012016 Member

Since this post I have rang my AFCO 3 separate times and they've basically told me to keep waiting and they'll let me know when permission comes in.

From your own knowledge, is there some backlog at the moment or this kind of delay normal?

My prmc was October, I very much doubt I'll be in a February recruit troop and the next available one is April 11th.

Aren't PRMCc now only valid for 6 months?

11. Royal671

Royal671 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I think it is PJFTs that are 6 months now and PRMCs are still 12 months, as far as I'm aware, also I start RT on the 11th of April. Unfortunately I don't have a clue about there being backlog etc!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 22012016

22012016 Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

Your not a rejoin I take it? If ever there was an advertisement to not leave RT this waiting game lark would be it ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Royal671

Royal671 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nah, I'm not a rejoin! Hopefully leaving doesn't cross me mind..to much haha! I don't think I could leave to then want to inevitably rejoin and have to go through all them damn beastings again!!;)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. 22012016

22012016 Member

I know right. Mental -eggonface- All character building I suppose

• Like Like x 1
  15. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Am going through the process now after 5 1/2 years in army. Just go see your RCMO and go from and just waiting on a assessment date at the moment. Theres a couple of points which have annoyed me - Theres a lot of waiting on paperwork ( don't expect it to be quick)
    With it been a transfer in service no one has confirmed to me if my time serviced, pension , LSA days and things like that will simply just move over with me, which if they don't thats a deal breaker for me.
    so if you go with it just be prepared for that.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Seems odd.

Have you definitely actually got security clearance or do you mean you have completed the SC application?

ie: Does it actually say "SC Complete" under status when you log-in to the nsv.mod.uk portal?

If you have SC, they can usually request an allocated entry date pending formal approval to enter.

17. 22012016

22012016 Member

Definitely have SC, 100%. Actually took a screen shot of it back in December for posterity, I was so glad to get it :)

They are adamant that until permission for entry is granted they cannot apply for a recruit date.

They said they were chasing it up and have sent a few emails to the 'permission for entry' people but that was when I called in January. Its been 8 weeks since I got SC.

It'd be nice to know just from a planning perspective so I could get things in order.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Something is certainly amiss.

Unless there is a time caveat preventing re-entry after previous discharge or there's been a significant change in your financial circumstances or you are due to appear in court as a witness or otherwise, it simply doesn't add up.

• Seen Seen x 1
  19. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    With joining from another military service can anyone confirm whether or not your LSA days and commitment bonus simple just carrys over with you ? Can't seem to get a 100% answer from my Coc

20. Ninja_Stoker

Allowances are tri service so unless JSP752 states otherwise, LSA yes.

Retention/Commitment bonuses, I would've thought, are unique to the service in which you serve because the aim is to encourage you to commit to that arm of the service.

• Like Like x 2