Transferring, Rejoining or Joining with Former Military Service

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Cheers il annoy my clerk and get her to check the JSP . Commitment bonus I could deal with loosing *text deleted* already signed for one . But LSA days are to much of a money earner to miss out on, Thanks

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Could any help me out with some info on this ...... Am going through the process of transferring from the REME as a Vm, if successful on the transfer and training, what about sort of say would do i get on what trade or role i go into ? with my qualifications and past trade would i be pushed towards been a Vm again? my aim is to be as far away from Vehicle Mechanics as i can.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

I'd be surprised if, after successfully completing recruit training, the subject of becoming an RM VM was not discussed at some point. My advice is to tell the person enquiring that you would sooner eat your own kidneys than become a VM again.

In my experience, the service studiously ignores relevant qualifications and experience in any case, relying on tenuous logic instead.

By way of an example: I was once asked if I had any musical interests. Upon replying that I was indeed musically inclined, I was tasked to move a piano from one building to another.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    haha great example. good to know thanks for the info

• Like Like x 1
  5. 44carl44

44carl44 Royal Marines Commando

They won't push you towards it. When you get out of training you will do your GD time then go what route you want depending on what spec you want you may well get a ping. As for lsa etc this will carry over as for your pay not to sure because don't no your rank etc and you will no longer be a VM so no higher pay band but I think under new pay scheme Royal Marines are at the same band as tech trades.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 369abc

369abc New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Hi, not sure if I've posted in the right place ( I'm new to this sight :confused: ) But my boyfriend is currently completing his CTCRM for the marines. After he passes out would he be able to join the reserves instead of full time or not? I know he needs to contact the AFCO but I'm not able to have contact with him yet. Just looking for any advice please.

7. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

In short...no , if he is engaged on a regular contract he is will require to complete his return of service...if he had particular very strong mitigating circumstances....it might...(and i mean only might) be considered.

8. 369abc

369abc New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Thanks for your reply.
    So if he wanted to join the reserves he'd have to leave the regular marines whilst in training?

9. 369abc

369abc New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Also, sorry for the questions... but do you know what happens after the thirty two weeks of training how long on average are you away for?

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Depends, on what the unit is doing. Could be anything from a week, to 3 months.

If he wanted to join the reserves he would have to leave training, then re-apply to join he reserves and start from scratch.

Minimum contract is 4 years (IIRC) before he can apply for Early Release.

If he's in training, he's best of staying there. leaving is not a good idea, especially not for a reserves career.

11. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@369abc Hi and welcome, I see from your profile (not a stalker) that your a young lady and I assume your partner is of roughly the same age, you may find answers to the many other questions that you no doubt have,from the many partners on the P&P sub-forum,that's not to say you shouldn't post here on these boards ,far from it, but there are peers on there that don't really post here.

Just PM a mod, ie @MumtoRM and she will sort it. Hope this helps and the guys have answered your Q, if not then please keep asking.

12. Army-Transfer

Army-Transfer New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    In RT at any stage do recruits set up a JPA account ? If I remember right we did in the first few weeks training in the army . Reason been is il want to check and make sure my clerk has transferred my pay and bonuses over correctly. He's not really well known For been reliable.

Or is there a phone app or website you can access to check your wage at least . A navy or marines version of army.net ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

I think setting up your JPA account is part of the joining admin

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You should be able to view your pay statement on the Defence Gateway. Your log-in is your service number.

www.defencegateway.mod.uk

15. Booty89

Booty89 Royal Marines Commando

Hi, I`m new to this forum but it seems like its the only way I'm going to get some answers. Is there an update on the corps manning levels. Are we still toppers or is it a good time to apply to rejoin the corps? I`m currently residing in the US and obviously cant strole down to my local afco to do so. I am seriously considering rejoining.
    I looked through the forum and some older Q/A have me worried there would be no chance.
    I was sigs as well so I would not mind going back in as that. Is there a link for applying on the naval website? I appreciate any response that may help me. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

There was a link on here recently stating that the Corps is currently 400 plus ORs over manned. As for rejoins the latest buzz is SF, SFC, VM and Tels Tech are being allowed to rejoin.

@Ninja_Stoker will bring you up to speed on the latest info.

Alan

17. Booty89

Hi Alan,

I was reading that previous post before actually, got me concerned that there may be no chance of rejoining which I would be heart broken by. Do you know of any links on the navy website where I could apply?

Yeh that ninja stoker seems pretty squared away.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

Tom.

18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

@Ninja_Stoker is a Careers Advisor, along with @CHUB! They will be able to give you the up to date info on what to do.

Now if you want to refresh the IAs on the SLR then myself @Chelonian and @arny01 are your guys! That's more our field of expertise!

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  19. Booty89

Thanks for your advice Alan. I will be in touch with them then. Hopefully there might be some hope.

20. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

@Booty89 alright mate if you PM me I can give you some answers and put you on to someone directly about this if you still need?