Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Transferring, Rejoining or Joining with Former Military Service

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 44carl44

44carl44 Royal Marines Commando

Not all the time I know of and have worked with a few guys who have transferred straight over from 59 engineers and other army ranks that have done the AACC and came straight across and also some guys from infantry units went into RT at the start of phase 2. It all depends on experience and if you already have a spec that could be used. I started from day one week one when I rejoined.

2. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck Well-Known Member

Thinking about transferring from RMR to regs...I know the pay isn’t too cracking but is there any extra pay/support/help with bills at home if bills are higher than the salary? Bit of a stickie as I’m the bill payer and I pay for pretty much everything at the moment...any help is massively appreciated

3. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

You can get Get to Work Pay or Get you Home Pay depending if your inlier or outlier. Can be quite a decent amount depending on your location.
    Also, don't look just purely at salary. At unit you're fairly likely to deploy overseas at least once a year. That can be a great saving opportunity, especially when LSA and LOA is taken onto account.

Last year for example I took home about 2k more than my actual salary. That would have been a mixture of LSA, LOA and expenses.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware each year you jump up an increment level and therefore your pay increases annually regardless of promotion.

4. PotentialBootneck

Well I’m 275 miles from CTC...and it’s just with my wife not earning much and me paying a good £11/1200 out of £1800 a month that makes things a bit difficult for it, I’d love to jump onboard with the regs but I’m struggling to make a decision due to finances

5. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Yer understandable mate. The starting wage in training in my opinion is a joke. If you worked out an hourly wage its disgusting. I'm not alone, but I halved my salary to begin training. Luckily I didn't have the financial responsibility you do.

If RMR is a better suit for you, remember there are always full time contracts available at units alongside the regs once you've finished training

6. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Youll get that 275 in get you home pay a month. I get gyh and its almost 1 pound a mile. However you dont get it on leave

• Like Like x 1
  7. PotentialBootneck

The only other thing I can think of doing is smashing out the overtime and get enough to cover bills for the 8 month before starting training! Just a bit of a tough one as it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do

8. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Home to Duty milage allowance is nowhere near a pound a mile!

It is worked out on a sliding distance basis with a basic MMA rate of 25pence per mile as if April 2020 on the below

Google

JSP 752 , Chap 3 section 1

This will give you the rates and criteria.

9. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I get almost a pound a mile. Maybe its gone down since april havent had it since covid

10. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Wings , You must be working it out wrong :D the milage rates are easy to check via the JSP it worked out on distance and number of journeys that are expected to be taken not straight forward milage!! :confused:( honest) or I would have been getting 1k a month which my wife will azure you I was not!!

To clarify it allows for 24 journeys per annum to the location allowed and is paid monthly , paid by daily basis hence why you get it monthly!!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1