Travel Restrictions - Covid 19

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As us up north will be getting locked down for 3 weeks from boxing day, will recruits require a letter to say their travel is essential? I remember the offspring got on in May.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As us up north will be getting locked down for 3 weeks from boxing day, will recruits require a letter to say their travel is essential? I remember the offspring got on in May.
I believe they'll be issued this now, I'm curious to find out if CTCRM will move candidates dates back if they're travelling from a Tier 4 area.

Oden

Reaction score
Although not for the Royal Navy, I did receive travel documents that would allow me to travel to my assessment centre with the Army. I would imagine it’s the same for you guys.

Chelonian

Reaction score
As us up north will be getting locked down for 3 weeks from boxing day, will recruits require a letter to say their travel is essential?
I don't claim to be an expert on these matters but essential travel includes travel related to work.

Service personnel returning to duty definitely fall within this category.
Anyhow, your son is as entitled to travel for work related matters as the Amazon delivery drivers who will continue buzzing about the nation regardless.

A letter might be issued by CTCRM but don't worry. If challenged en-route an ID or other documentation and a rail travel ticket specifying destination should suffice.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
He's got his leave papers so I'll take a couple of copies of that.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
If anybody is joining on the 4th or 5th Jan you will already have joining instructions which can be used as proof of travel requirements, a specific letter was produced previously for this but as the rules in relation to tiers changed today and AFCO,s at CTC are now closed it is may be unlikely these will be issued to those joining in the above dates.

Oden

Reaction score
If anybody is joining on the 4th or 5th Jan you will already have joining instructions which can be used as proof of travel requirements, a specific letter was produced previously for this but as the rules in relation to tiers changed today and AFCO,s at CTC are now closed it is may be unlikely these will be issued to those joining in the above dates.
So if im reading this correctly, if you're having to travel after the 5th you wont be permited to do so now? I maybe missing it...

Chelonian

Reaction score
So if im reading this correctly, if you're having to travel after the 5th you wont be permited to do so now? I maybe missing it...
As I understand it Scotland has a Tier 4 category as does Wales and much of south-eastern England and parts of East Anglia from this weekend. Tier 4 residents are subject to a 'Stay at Home Alert' which means that only 'essential travel' is permitted in Tier 4 areas.
More here:

Devolved regions such as Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales may have more specific information on their official websites.

Military personnel returning to duty are likely to have some evidence to justify a journey.

Civilians attending a selection course are likely to have joining instructions which can be used as evidence. Obviously current circumstances remain subject to change.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those currently on leave from recruit training, the advice is simply, 'follow the last order'. CTC has your contact details and will let you know if anything changes. The 'My Navy' app will also advise of any changes and you should be checking it regularly, even during leave.

Likewise those due to join CTC to commence ROP, either your AFCO or CTC will tell you if anything changes.

Keep checking your emails, texts and the recruiting portal. For those yet to join, who have changed their contact details (such as mobile phone number) - remember to update your details.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Oden - No you are reading something that is not there! the guys are the 4th / 5th will not be able to get the specific letter as AFCOs are closed, but will have joining instructions - guys who join after this may well get the letter as there is time - or they could also just use their joining instructions as well if needed

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll check through whatever leave paperwork he has. I'm sure copies of that should be fine.