Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Travel Warants

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by thewolveriene, Jun 13, 2019.

1. thewolveriene

thewolveriene New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi Guys
    Just wondered whether we still get pre paid travel warrants for trains during leave whilst in training and in unit?
    And if so, can you choose where they go to or is it just to your registered home address?
    And thirdly when on leave what are we expected to take home with us is it just our personal civilian kit or is MOD kit expected to be taken with us aswell?
    Thanks in advance

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

This is the official policy re travel warrants.

a). Recruits under the age of 17 years and 6 months These recruits are entitled to one return journey for each complete three months qualifying service, until their 18th birthday, (irrespective of phase of training). They are entitled to no more than four journeys at the tax payers’ expense in 12 months.

b). Recruits over the age of 17 years and 6 months but under the age of 18. Recruits in this cohort are entitled to two return journeys at tax payers’ expense (which are taken prior to the commencement of their 18th birthday, or commencement of Phase 2 training, whichever Is the latter).

c) Other Recruits In Phase 1 Training (first 15 weeks), All recruits undertaking Phase 1 training, irrespective of age or duration {other than a or b} of their phase of training are entitled to two journeys at tax payers’ expense. These journeys are to be taken prior to the commencement of Phase 2 training,

My guess is that you go to your home.

With regard to baggage, your service kIt stays in your locker at CTC.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, it's return travel, to a pre-nominated UK address, usually "home address", NoK, parents or partner.

You only need take your service gear when going leave on draft to a new unit/base.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I used to just lock myself in the toilet, with a load of cans and sit in there from Plymouth to Brum! Plus, you could smoke in them as well then! Jump barrier on way out, home in 10!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If i may hijack this thread, if my home is Spain would a travel warrant be issued or will i be paying for flights myself?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Travel warrants, as stated (post #3), are for UK travel.

For those resident overseas, JSP 752, Chapter 7, article 0111 refers

• Like Like x 1
  7. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fairly sure if you or I wanted to transfer to a Commonwealth Armed Force, similar rules would apply - the Oz, NZ & Canadian Navies certainly don't routinely fund flights home for Brits, so far as I can remember.

9. thewolveriene

thewolveriene New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Whats the latest roughly that people get sent home on leave day i only ask cause I'm up in Scotland

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My observation as a frequent traveller through Exeter Saint Davids railway station is that Recruits are released in phases from very early morning on the day (usually a Friday) before the first full day of leave. Recruits are generally not visible at that station from about 1300.

Depending on where a Troop is in the training cycle Recruits might me released earlier. This year at Easter I understand from a few Partners & Parents that some Recruits were released on the Wednesday and Thursday. A massive bonus but not predictable and not to be depended upon.

• Like Like x 1