Treadmill Running vs Outside

sutanmaf

Reaction score
I did a mock PRMC at my AFCO and managed the 1.5 mile return run in 9:35 and felt I could have gone faster. However when completing the same run on the treadmill I barely make it in at 10:00. I still have to take my PJFT. Does anyone have any advice? I run the whole return run at 14.5 kmph.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice?

Yes. Treadmills are soul-destroying mechanisms.

But... completing a treadmill-based test is a recruitment hurdle to be overcome. It definitely requires specific training. Which means aiming to beat the required criterion for that test. Once done you can crack on with 'proper' running.

Many people who have respectable running stats struggle with the dreadmill. The search box will give you lots of insight into the experiences of others. Best of luck.

lp1234

Reaction score
Yes. Treadmills are soul-destroying mechanisms.

But... completing a treadmill-based test is a recruitment hurdle to be overcome. It definitely requires specific training. Which means aiming to beat the required criterion for that test. Once done you can crack on with 'proper' running.

Many people who have respectable running stats struggle with the dreadmill. The search box will give you lots of insight into the experiences of others. Best of luck.
'Soul destroying machines! Haha I could not have put that any better myself, love it

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The fact is you know you can physically run quicker than that so I just put the speed up on the treadmill and say im not going to stop it until I finish. If I want it to stop and finish quicker I turn it up so it comes true but never down. Always shocks me how much further I can go on a treadmill then I first think. Oh and I try splitting it up into saying I have done 3/10ths of it and 6/9ths etc. Waste loads of time working it out without realising whilst also not dying from the stupid machine. Might not work but anything is worth a shot, just got to find a way to ignore its stupidity...

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Keep practising at it! Don't think that you will be able to wing it and scrape a pass on the day. You need to be exceeding the required standard time after time during practice. The test is done at a 2% incline, so in training set it at 3%. Also as @its_meg says, turn up the setting.

The PJFT is responsible for quite a few failures by guys who under estimate the difference in running on the dreadmill, against running outside. Once passed, then ditch it and get outside in all weathers.

Good luck

Alan

New Threads