Treadmill speeds for the PJFT?

Fox

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice from their experience of doing their pjft? Got mine soon and wondered if anyone had any hints or tips on the speeds for each run.

Cheers

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
A simple search, or google search could have answered this :toung:

Anyway, I believe it's minimum of 11.8 on the first run, I ran it at 12 and slowed the last 200m down for a walk. The second is on a minimum of 14.8 I've been told, I ran half at 14.5, then 600m at 14.6 or something then sprint finished!

Above speeds are in kph, like most treadmills, not sure out mph.

Kentish

Reaction score
A simple search, or google search could have answered this :toung:

Anyway, I believe it's minimum of 11.8 on the first run, I ran it at 12 and slowed the last 200m down for a walk. The second is on a minimum of 14.8 I've been told, I ran half at 14.5, then 600m at 14.6 or something then sprint finished!

Above speeds are in kph, like most treadmills, not sure out mph.
What return time did this give you?

14.4kmh is the average speed required for a 10 minute flat return, however you must take into account the fact that due to treadmill speeding up, the average would be lower if simply left at 14.4.

DecaMarine

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
on my mock PJFT I set it to 12.2 which gave me 12mins 10
then on the return I set it to 15.0 for 2.2km then upped it by 0.5 per 100m and finished with 9.44.

That was the only mock I did and it was to make sure I could get within the required time

jallen289

Reaction score
I had my PJFT on Tuesday.
11.8 for the first, minimum of 14.8 for the second.
I started on 15 increased it to 16 for the last 300 metres, achieved a time of 9.42.

wd88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just run as fast as you can for as long as you can, on the second bit, it's what i did... Best effort!

Anon.

Reaction score
Yeah got to take into account the extra time its takes for treadmills to reach the speed, I didn't and the other day on completing my first mock pjft I was running it at 14.5 all the way and the treadmill kept telling me I was going to finish at 9:55, finished at 10:11. So I basically got done over by a treadmill *text deleted**, hate the things.

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah got to take into account the extra time its takes for treadmills to reach the speed, I didn't and the other day on completing my first mock pjft I was running it at 14.5 all the way and the treadmill kept telling me I was going to finish at 9:55, finished at 10:11. So I basically got done over by a treadmill *text deleted**, hate the things.
yeah thats true, takes my treadmill about 15 seconds to get to 9-10mph :(

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Put in on google "Treadmill cheat sheet" it's a grid of what setting achieves what time on a tread mill in mph or kmph and also gives timings for 400m sprint times etc. Its really usefull especially when your looking to increase the intensity of your training gradually each week or session whcih is what *text deleted* been doing whilst recovering from injury.

Hope this helps.

Ryan