Treadmill vs Road Running

MonsterMo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone else here find running 1.5 miles on the road easier than running on the treadmill? I can at a 10mph speed on the road but I'm only able to run 8mph on the treadmill at 2% incline; it feels like I'm having to work a whole lot harder to achieve the same speed; I'm guessing it's to do with my technique. I am currently doing a variation of Fartlek but increasing the speed of one set each session (kind of like Gainers).

Any advice to increase speed when running on a treadmill or at least make running on a treadmill more efficient?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone else here find running 1.5 miles on the road easier than running on the treadmill? I can at a 10mph speed on the road but I'm only able to run 8mph on the treadmill at 2% incline; it feels like I'm having to work a whole lot harder to achieve the same speed; I'm guessing it's to do with my technique. I am currently doing a variation of Fartlek but increasing the speed of one set each session (kind of like Gainers).

Any advice to increase speed when running on a treadmill or at least make running on a treadmill more efficient?
Running on a treadmill is crap, but is a necessary evil. My advice is to keep at it, until you are consistently inside the timings for your PJFT. By all means get out on the road and do sprint sessions/fartlek, but make sure that you get back in the gym on the treadmill at least once a wekk and practice, practice and then practice. Once you've passed, then ditch the gym and get out on the roads.

Alan

Davs101

Reaction score
I can almost gaurentee you its because of the 2% incline, it doesnt sound like much, but try it with and then without the incline and you will find see the difference, personally when i was doing the dreaded dreadmill test mocks for my pjft i found it alot easier flat, as soon as i changed the incline to 2% i was hanging out.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had a chat with my manager at work and she's ex army and asked me what I'm doing that evening and I said I was going on the treadmill
She said "you bloody girl didn't know you were joining the raf, get on the road"
After trying to explain the PJFT to her small mind she still wasn't having it and when I said the treadmill is harder and so I have to prepare she said "you forget I've been there and done it, I know the treadmill is p!ss easy"

I wanted to wind her I really did.

MonsterMo

Reaction score
I am currently doing 2 minute sets of 7-7-7-8-8 (mph) with 2 minute rests in between, almost like Gainers as I am increasing the speed of one set each session. It's not as exerting as running the 1.5 mile flat out but I am aiming to hit 10-10-10-10-10 and then once I've achieved that I plan on working on decreasing the rest time in between each set. Another member has shown me his routine which I will try out as well. Thank you all for your advice, I will try them all out.

MonsterMo

Reaction score
I had a chat with my manager at work and she's ex army and asked me what I'm doing that evening and I said I was going on the treadmill
She said "you bloody girl didn't know you were joining the raf, get on the road"
After trying to explain the PJFT to her small mind she still wasn't having it and when I said the treadmill is harder and so I have to prepare she said "you forget I've been there and done it, I know the treadmill is p!ss easy"

I wanted to wind her I really did.

Should have challenged her to Pull-Ups and Push-Ups etc haha

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
-banghead-

I wonder what her Pjft time was??

MonsterMo

Reaction score
Found this, not sure if this is accurate but she's got it way easier if this is true

SarriesFan

Reaction score
I believe the entry standard for basic infantry is 12min 30s as a bloke. So yeah, there is a massive difference in standards.