Tredmill users, quit them now!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Possibly the worst exercise invention ever.

I can't believe how useless tredmills are. Ok they can get you fitter, but not by much. I remember like 2 months before my PJFT I was practicing the 1.5 mile tredmill run in under 10 minutes. I use to struggle but sometimes just use to pass it. About a month later it felt just as hard and I just couldn't do it.

Then I thought, *text deleted**text deleted* the gym I'm going to do road running. Passing it on the road was even tougher, but when I done it I felt proud. Kept doing the 1.5 miles on the road for a few weeks and then when I had my PJFT I passed it with complete ease. Ok 9.27 but it was at a comfortable pace for me.

Now I'm road running 1.5 miles in 9.17 which is a improvement, but I still want to get under the 9 minute mark. I've got about 4 weeks to hit that target! I do a mixture of runs these days, 3 milers, 4 milers, fartlek and the 1.5 milers.

I seriously wouldn't advise using or tredmill, or in any case going to a gym.

chris1988

Reaction score
mate i do completely agree with you! although treadmills do reduce the risk of shin splints! i do a mixture of road running and treadmill because there wont be a treadmill in sight in PRMC! i wouldnt completely get rid of the treadmill but mix it up!

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
stick a gradient on the treadmill and you might be eating your words.
Some of the better treadmills have programs that will continuously adjust the gradient as you run to better simulate outdoor running.

In saying that, I also much prefer road running to treadmills.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
6 miles in 47.29 - damm, too slow :laugh:

Put it this way, I stopped off to buy some water just incase I got over dehydrated. I did keep the stop watch running though, but next time when I actually push myself harder and take a bottle of water with me, I'll beat the 45 minute mark :nuts:

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Main advantage of treadmills that i can see is if its really bad (and i mean, 'would result in injury or something' bad) weather outside, then they can be useful. Also they do seem to make my sprints a bit quicker.... But agreed outside is much better.

darbey2000

Reaction score
i find treadmills good to gain fitness and stamina. What ever time you get on treadmill you will do better on the road!

SR

Reaction score
i find treadmills good to gain fitness and stamina. What ever time you get on treadmill you will do better on the road!

Some people find it the other way round.

I personally find my times are better when im outside.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Some people find it the other way round.

I personally find my times are better when im outside.

I could cover more ground on a tredmill than I could outside. Tredmills are far too easy and it's far too hard to advance your fitness on them even with an incline.

I'm not trying to put people down on this site, I'm only trying to give them advise on things I've experienced before. It's not about putting your tredmill at an incline, it's all about out door running. Once you get into your PRMC or RT even, your barely ever going to go near a tredmill !

Get use to outdoor running guys, please it really is that much better! Ever since I've quit the gym 6 odd weeks ago, I've lost much more weight, I'm a lot fitter and pound for pound I've got a lot more strenght and power!

Also forget about suppluments, they can be either full of carbs which have loads of sugar or they are packed up with way too much protein which is not as important as many think.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cannot stand tredmills. I have no motivation and get seriously bored looking at the same point for a vast period of time...

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i was looking on the search bar and couldn't find any thing alone the lines of what im looking for this is the closes so i figured i would just post on this thread when i do the 2.4 km run on a treadmill down my local gym that im a member with i find it really hard, i sweat a load, a lot more than when i run over the country park and i cant hardly breve i find it really hard and some times i cant even manage the 2.4km i dunno why its like there is less oxygen in there and i find it really hard to get in the zone! when im running outside after a few mins i sort of click and i just don't think about running and run looking around enjoying the views kinda *text deleted* but in the gym on the treadmill all im thinking about is running and looking at the time. i find it really hard to run in there

Reaction score
mate i do completely agree with you! although treadmills do reduce the risk of shin splints! i do a mixture of road running and treadmill because there wont be a treadmill in sight in PRMC! i wouldnt completely get rid of the treadmill but mix it up!
treadmills do reduce the risk of shin splints!

maybe you dont, but i get really bad shin splints on treadmills

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Aye progress on roads is much better. It least I saw bigger increases on roads in a few weeks more so than treadmill. But it's just a matter of convenience! I always but mine on 3 degrees incline at the moment.

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I hate treadmills, with a passion!

I'm practising PJFT once every few days at the moment but much prefer hill sprints and intervals.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I do not know about anyone else but running outside i have always been able to push myself more as i could constantly adjust my speed, whereas on a treadmill i do not know just could never get it to work for me.

CaiSlade04

Reaction score
Hey guy's :) I'm not far in the proccess for the Royal Marines. I've got up to the Physcometric Test. I would like some advice on how to improve my running fitness and what is expected of me when i do this. I would appreciate how many miles i have to run at what time is needed? I run everyday to improve my fitness but i need figures to prove to myself im improving! I would love any idea's on how to improve my upper body strengh at home, as I do not have easy access to a gym, thanks guy's!! :bigsmile:
( Please only reply if you have any experience with the Royal Marines) xx

Barry McGuigan

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer road running! Treadmills seem to give me shin splints in the first place!
Plus when running on the road you are actually going somewhere so you really have no choice to run otherwise you are going to have to walk home (well that's the way i see it) :racer:

banzai

Reaction score
I don't entirely agree. I've been road running for years and can easily do my 1.5 mile in around 9.30 however I struggled the first few times I attempted it on the treadmill. Prior to PJFT I think the best advice would be to enjoy a mixture of road and treadmill, treadmill requires a bit of technique and you will regret not using them before your PJFT, only those in a minority don't I would say.

And I'm not about to stop using the gym because I enjoy it :idea:

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
it might seem silly but what are shin splints? i have never had any trouble with running on the road or treadmill